Main Menu

Help identifying a 70's childrens TV show please?

Started by Mangamax, 28 November, 2016, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 March, 2017, 08:47:22 AM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 21 January, 2017, 10:01:59 PM
I also don't think that Australia made too many shows that were shown in other countries in those days.

The 80's was rife with Aussie shows on UK television.

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be a legal requirement for their broadcasters to produce a certain amount of home-grown drama.  As cultural neighbours we got a lot of those shows (and they got our children's comics).  Also explains all the soaps, as it's easy to produce a daily dose of drama without having to start from scratch.

Particular favourites of mine were: Round the Twist, about a family living in a lighthouse where weird shit happened regularly.

One of the best children's shows to come out of Australia!

Tony Angelino

Quote from: sheridan on 29 March, 2017, 09:27:26 AM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 March, 2017, 08:47:22 AM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 21 January, 2017, 10:01:59 PM
I also don't think that Australia made too many shows that were shown in other countries in those days.

The 80's was rife with Aussie shows on UK television.

I did say that in my post. I just said in the 70's there wouldn't have been many Australian TV shown in the UK. I think the reverse was true though and partly explains why everyone in Australia is a Doctor Who fan.

The Legendary Shark

I vaguely remember an Australian children's programme about a young boy travelling around with a tough, white-haired old man named, I think, Cole, who sometimes earned money by getting into head-butting contests. There may also have been a Native Australian character and a small, scruffy dog as well. Anyone remember this, or what it was called?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tony Angelino

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 07:13:44 PM
I vaguely remember an Australian children's programme about a young boy travelling around with a tough, white-haired old man named, I think, Cole, who sometimes earned money by getting into head-butting contests. There may also have been a Native Australian character and a small, scruffy dog as well. Anyone remember this, or what it was called?

That sounds like a series just crying out to be remade for today's youth.

sheridan

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 29 March, 2017, 07:25:18 PM

My introduction to head-butting contests featured a reanimated angel and three mutant goatmen :)

Tony Angelino

Quote from: sheridan on 22 May, 2017, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 29 March, 2017, 07:25:18 PM

My introduction to head-butting contests featured a reanimated angel and three mutant goatmen :)

They were certainly one of the more original acts on Britain's Got Talent. Can't believe they didn't get through to the final.

The Legendary Shark

They did well in the end, though; got long term contracts with the BBC Symphony Orchestra in the concussion section...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]