Main Menu

Criminal organizations in MC-1

Started by Sandman1, 26 July, 2017, 04:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman1

Does the Big Meg have one or just a few criminal, noticeably more powerful organizations in its midst? I'm talking about mafia-like groups with great influence, not some large gang that peddles drugs. If so, where can I read about them? 
Error...

Greg M.

In their day, the Mega-City Frendz, led by Nero Narcos, fitted the bill. First introduced in 'Bad Frendz' (Case Files 23) further developed in 'The Pit' (Case Files 24 & 25.) Don't recall if the organisation survived the events of 'Doomsday' (Case Files 30, by the looks of it) but [spoiler]Narcos didn't.[/spoiler]

Woolly

Might be getting the name wrong, but there was the 'Hunter's Club'.
An organisation that ran a murder competition, beautifully rendered by the Mighty Carlos.

Death Aid: Progs 711 to 720 (but not in progs 716, 717, 718, according to Barney)

Not really what you asked for, but one of the better Garth Ennis Dredds.

Timothy

You are getting the name wrong; there is no apostrophe - much to the chagrin of everyone's favourite bitey man-crocodile.

sheridan

There were the Mega-Rackets as well, not sure off the top of my head when they appeared in the progs (around the early 200s) but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to say which Case Files they appeared in.  Shows the different endeavours that mafia-like organisations get up to in Mega-City One.  There was also a syndicate of gangsters about a year or two later who kept meeting up with their latest schemes, usually foiled by Dredd.  One of them was called Blobs.
Earlier than all that we met the Ape Gang - possibly the first appearance of organised crime that we saw (unless Max Normal's debut predates it).

Sandman1

Quote from: Greg M. on 26 July, 2017, 05:01:21 PM
In their day, the Mega-City Frendz, led by Nero Narcos, fitted the bill. First introduced in 'Bad Frendz' (Case Files 23) further developed in 'The Pit' (Case Files 24 & 25.) Don't recall if the organisation survived the events of 'Doomsday' (Case Files 30, by the looks of it).

The Frendz Mob is the most powerful crime organisation in the city, at least according to the site I list below. But I just don't like the demonic look of Mr Narcos. Does he look like that in all the stories?

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Nero_Narcos     
Error...

CalHab

Quote from: sheridan on 26 July, 2017, 11:03:44 PM
There were the Mega-Rackets as well, not sure off the top of my head when they appeared in the progs (around the early 200s) but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to say which Case Files they appeared in.

Case Files 5.

Greg M.

Quote from: Sandman1 on 26 July, 2017, 11:26:16 PM
The Frendz Mob is the most powerful crime organisation in the city, at least according to the site I list below. But I just don't like the demonic look of Mr Narcos. Does he look like that in all the stories?

No, just in Doomsday. When we first meet him, he's a brain in a life-support unit, with a human face projected on a screen.

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 27 July, 2017, 06:35:07 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 26 July, 2017, 11:03:44 PM
There were the Mega-Rackets as well, not sure off the top of my head when they appeared in the progs (around the early 200s) but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to say which Case Files they appeared in.

Case Files 5.

Thanks, CalHab!

CalHab

Sandman1

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 July, 2017, 07:49:29 AMNo, just in Doomsday. When we first meet him, he's a brain in a life-support unit, with a human face projected on a screen.

Just a yes or no question, does it become clear why he ended up in that apparatus?
Error...

Greg M.

Quote from: Sandman1 on 27 July, 2017, 05:13:28 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 27 July, 2017, 07:49:29 AMNo, just in Doomsday. When we first meet him, he's a brain in a life-support unit, with a human face projected on a screen.

Just a yes or no question, does it become clear why he ended up in that apparatus?

Yes, the reason for his status is explained in 'Bad Frendz', and the reason for his later, more 'demonic' look is in 'Doomsday'.

Dark Jimbo

For all this talk of 'mafia-like' organisations, it should be remembered that the actual mafia exist in MC-1, too. Lots of appearances in the early years of the comic and various later ones, primarily in the stories of Gordon Rennie, though they've not made any real appearances since then. Not entirely sure that the mafia makes sense in a city ruled by the judges, but there you go.
@jamesfeistdraws

Sandman1

The Frendz Mob seems to fit the bill, so I'm going to read up on them. 

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 27 July, 2017, 05:58:24 PMNot entirely sure that the mafia makes sense in a city ruled by the judges, but there you go.

Why not? Such congregations of criminals seems to conduct their business behind the curtains, while gangs act as open targets on the street. Rigorous precautions, and maybe some know-how about the system, can surely make your boat float even in rough regimes.
Error...

Spikes

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 27 July, 2017, 05:58:24 PM
For all this talk of 'mafia-like' organisations, it should be remembered that the actual mafia exist in MC-1, too. Lots of appearances in the early years of the comic

Old skool mafia to boot!