Main Menu

Prog 1773 Fathers Day?

Started by radiator, 03 March, 2012, 11:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeCarter_Artdroid

Lol :), damn, I may reconsider :), as long as it's integral to the plot

Ochs

I like the nakedness. How about creating 2000ad's and sci-fi's first ever naturist story?

I echo the earlier sentiment about Dredd too. I think that this might be my favourite Dredd epic ever.
Fear leads to doubt which leads to the worst case scenario.

TordelBack

Should clarify that I've no problem with the Grey Area nudity per se or in the Prog in general (or with the copious skin areas of Lee's work on Necrophim or Dead Eyes), I just thought it was unfortunate storywise that it was the cutest and most vulnerable character that ended up in the buff, especially when played against the romantic tension between the characters ... just seemed a bit obvious for someone as good at playing with expectations as Dabnett, and without a necessary added bite it seemed to be veering into that standard comics exploitation territory which I find so wearying.  Nothing to do with the art itself.

2000AD is amost an equal opportunities purveyor of flesh, with wangs a-plenty in its back catalogue, and long may it continue, but I'd hate to see a descent into the cheesecake world of the Big Two (ooo-err).  Even stark no-bollock naked, Carter's Birdy isn't as exploitative as the average fully-clothed Greg Land woman.

Richmond Clements

Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but from Twitter yesterday:

Simon Fraser ‏ @simonfraser   
designing the last outfit that Lulu Romanov will wear "Sexier and more vampish than we have ever seen her" ....no pressure then

Richmond Clements ‏ @richclements   
@simonfraser ha! So she's not dead!

@simonfraser
@richclements not yet no. #enigmatic

the shutdown man

Excellent ending to Dante, but one thing lingers; Where was Konstantin in all this? I don't think he appeared at all since the palace crash, or did I miss something?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Hawkmumbler

Cover: Great! Really like it, nice and gory. Dante's expression crakcs me up though, and Dimitri look's like a sinister Megatron. Nice.

Dredd: Knew one of them was gonna crack at some point. Always assumed it would be Galina.
Jim and Bim really arn't all that smart are they?
Wasn't expecting Roake to be the one who get's it, some thing always made me think it was going to be Beeny.

Age of Wolf II: Kinda getting into this. Hunt's art is, as always, very good. I feel he is the most 'American' artists to be working in the prog at the mo. Pervo Harry's secret creeped me out. Seriesly. Oh, and Rowan is a kicker of arse.

Grey Area: Enjoyed this three parter alot, and no, it's not because of the boobage. It's just got a really nice vibe to it that I always find a joy to read. A nice twist ending to.

What If...?: Anderson: I dont know what to think of this. On the one hand, Anderson sure is Milf material. On the other. Smith's art work is not to my liking. It's an interesting idea, poorly exicuted. Poorest of the What if's...? IMO.

Nikolai Dante: The chaos reaches it's natural conclusion(s) with the death of two major players. May one rest in peace and the other boil in hell with a cokeral shoved up his jacksy.
Nice art work from Fraser again, special mention for the spazzed out Dimitri and his quizical look a few panels before.

All round then, two crackers, two goodies, and one miss-fire.

Emperor

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 March, 2012, 09:23:59 AM
Should clarify that I've no problem with the Grey Area nudity per se or in the Prog in general (or with the copious skin areas of Lee's work on Necrophim or Dead Eyes), I just thought it was unfortunate storywise that it was the cutest and most vulnerable character that ended up in the buff, especially when played against the romantic tension between the characters ... just seemed a bit obvious for someone as good at playing with expectations as Dabnett, and without a necessary added bite it seemed to be veering into that standard comics exploitation territory which I find so wearying.  Nothing to do with the art itself.

This is a good point and nails what niggled me about the scene.

Since reading Colin Smith's blog I've tried to keep in the forefront of my mind something that lurked somewhere towards the back of it before - issues around gender (and to some extent race and even species). When creating a character I now always ask myself if it has to be a white guy (or human where appropriate), a trap that is awfully easy to slip into. I've found that switching things around usually ends up with a much more interesting character.

It also works in scenes like this - there is no reason this had to happen to Birdy (and as TB says it is a little too obvious), in fact if you switched it around and had Bulliet possessed by an alien and naked in the shower it gives a whole different slant to the incident. He is portrayed as the tough guy but you'd see him struggling to hold it together, meanwhile Birdy has to try and think of a way to resolve this while desperately maintaining eye contact. It would also give their burgeoning attraction to each other a twist, she's seen him at his most vulnerable.

Unless Abbers is playing a long game and it had to happen this way round, but even then switching the characters around here might make it more interesting.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Richmond Clements

Quotein fact if you switched it around and had Bulliet possessed by an alien and naked in the shower it gives a whole different slant to the incident.

Ah, but this whole scene also was also foreshadowing his revealing his tattoo in the next episode...

Emperor

Next novice reader review from the FP blog and it is interesting what they say about getting more into the prog as new stories start - something a lot of us forget as it was so long ago ;) :

QuoteNext come two endings. Both Nikolai Dante and What If...? finish their runs this issue. And even though I've enjoyed both, I'm glad they'll finishing, as this means I get to see new strips next issue, from the first part. That feels important to me, as getting in at the start really feels like I'll be able to experience the comic a lot more fully than I've been able to so far. Having said that, Nikolai Dante feels like a strip I'd have really enjoyed had I been there from the start, and enjoyed even more had I some better understanding of the rich history behind it. Another one added to the (ridiculously long) list of collections to pick up when I have the chance (and the cash).

And that's it for this week. I'm really enjoying this whole 2000AD experiment, and as more of the stories I joined halfway through end, I feel my enjoyment should only go up. Next week it's a new Flesh story from Pat Mills and James Mckay, the week after it's the start of the much anticipated Zaucer Of Zilk by Brendan McCarthy and Al Ewing.

So why not take the 2000AD pledge, start your own 2000AD experiment, head out to the newsagent this Wednesday and give a great British comic a try for yourselves? You never know, it might be habit forming.

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/the-2012-2000ad-pledge-prog-1773-the-novice-reads-on/

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 March, 2012, 05:35:05 PM
Quotein fact if you switched it around and had Bulliet possessed by an alien and naked in the shower it gives a whole different slant to the incident.

Ah, but this whole scene also was also foreshadowing his revealing his tattoo in the next episode...

Sounds like I'll have to hold off my speculations until Wednesday then ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Proudhuff

but... he could have been struggling to cover it up, she thought he was modest covering it up  :-[...with hilarious results!!
DDT did a job on me

Emperor

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 March, 2012, 04:33:15 PM

but... he could have been struggling to cover it up, she thought he was modest covering it up  :-[...with hilarious results!!

I was just coming back to say something similar - him holding a towel to his chest would have seemed odd and could have been used nicely to foreshadow the later revelation. If the towel wasn't very large... well, Roger might have swapper his mancrush from Fassbender.

So I stand by my contention - switching that characters around would have made it more interesting.