Main Menu

Qualifying 1: 8 - David Bishop or Leah Moore and John Reppion

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 May, 2020, 06:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

More ex-editing to ignore, but here we do have text pieces we might want to consider and one in particular, up to you. I've also teamed up a couple who may well have done bits seperately. I'm lazy so going for Leah Moore as my primary determinant. Over  to you, its...

David Bishop - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=DAVEB

Or

Leah Moore (and John Reppion) - https://shop.2000ad.com/creators/leah-moore

Whose 2000ad writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work) closes sometime Monday 18th May?

What the heck is all this about? https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46406.0

Next face off starts tomorrow...

abelardsnazz

Hmm....going to go for Bish-Op here, as I enjoyed his Dredd novels.

Greg M.

On the basis of comic contributions, there's not much in it. Bishop has contributed more, but some of them were... courageous publishing decisions. Moore / Reppion's work is solid but hasn't had much impact on me. However, once we factor in Thrillpower Overload - the Bible of 2000AD history - then it's Bishop for the win.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

I generally enjoy Moore & Reppion, especially the excellent Storm Warning and Finder & Keeper, but its not all been plain sailing. OTOH Bishop's 2000AD scripting record is largely a catalogue of horrors, with some exceptions (Fiends: Stalingrad, and maybe Dead Men Walking).

But if, as I now understand, we're allowed to take non-scripting 2000ADverse writings into account, Bishop is pretty unassailable. His affably self-effacing histories alone would make him one of the all-time greats. 

So David Bishop for me, with important caveat that I expect great things from Moore & Reppion in the future, particularly lots more Finder & Keeper.

von Boom

IndigoPrime

Hmm. I'm a bit torn on this one. If we're talking only strips, Moore would have it; but if Thrill-Power Overload is part of the story, that's kind of a trump card for Bishop, and gives him the edge here, from me, albeit by a very slim margin.

Woolly

Bish-Op for me.
His Dredd novels are great, his continuation of Fiends is great, Space Girls was..... in the prog, I guess  :-\

But still Bish-Op for me  :thumbsup:

Funt Solo

Personally, I'm only taking into consideration strip work.

Bish-OP's great hurrah is Fiends of the Eastern Front: Stalingrad. The scales tremble, though, when presented with the litany of Crimes Against Thrill-Power that are Space Girls, Soul Sisters and B.L.A.I.R. 1. He's a definite trier, and that's to be applauded.

Moore & Reppion give us the mixed bag of Black Shuck - but I'd rather a prog full of Black Shuck than a prog full of Ro-Busters Reimagined, so they win a point for originality. And then Storm Warning ... I love Storm Warning. It's a Brit-Cit with a heart and soul, rather than just a cookie-cutter alt-Meg.

My vote's for Moore & Reppion.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Greg M.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 11 May, 2020, 05:22:31 PM
The scales tremble, though, when presented with the litany of Crimes Against Thrill-Power that are Space Girls
Mostly John Tomlinson.
Soul Sisters
50% Dave Stone.
and B.L.A.I.R. 1.
Largely Alan Grant. Even A Life Less Ordinary - a story for whom I have never met a single apologist, and which has to be up there for most boring thing ever published - is, of course, an adaptation.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Greg M.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 11 May, 2020, 05:36:36 PMA Life Less Ordinary - a story for whom I have never met a single apologist...

Ah, it had its mome... uh, I mean, there was that bit where yer man... um, something about the boot of a car?  Nah, not even if I really try (if the art is excluded from consideration).  And I'm the Official Apologist-in-Residence for Valkyries!

While we're on this accentuate-the-positive kick, Space Girls had one moderately good joke (for its sophmoric day), and that was the pun-names of the actual line-up. Everything after that was entirely unwarranted.

Ditto B.L.A.I.R. 1, a single clever idea that might even be fondly remembered if it had just been articulated in that glorious Simon Davis cover (Prog 1073) as a Star Scan in an Alternity special*.  Heh, giant demon-eyed compu-hyperpuncture-activated PM destroys post-office tower in a Goodies/King Kong mash-up homage.  Zartgeisty! The problem is just that it existed in any form beyond that one image.

Soul Sisters is a far lesser crime, just a bit of silliness; I hated it taking up expensive pages at the time, but re-reading it's pretty inoffensive standard late-80s-Brit-indie-comics stuff, the sort of thing you might have seen towards the back in Heartbreak Hotel or maybe Escape, if you were really lucky nestling up against something historical about Ska with spot illos by Evan Dorkin.

I'm not going to address The Straitjacket Fits at all.

*And hadn't subsequently turned out to be a well-drawn portrait of a war criminal.

rogue69

AlexF

There's just no way I can consider Thrill-Power Overload for this vote. An awesome piece of work for sure, but it's not comics, dammit. And when it comes to writing comics, Moore and Reppion win this fight with ease. Storm Warning in particular is excellent, and I think Black Shuck would've gone down better with a different artist, a Mike Dorey or a Dave Kendall, perhaps.