Main Menu

I am the god of drawing, enjoy

Started by traviswellman, 23 July, 2010, 07:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 July, 2010, 11:14:00 PM
I resemble those remarks!

I heard the same remark used elsewhere but i forget who i was quoting from but i always wanted to have a reason to say it myself although i should have hinted thst i wasnt being entirely serious as i am not sure that TravisWellman was being entirely serious either.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Smarty

your drawings have a nice flow overall and the first one shows some good colour sense. I'm not sure about your anatomy (I KNOW it's exaggerated, I KNOW your probably going for something other than human), the structure of some of it ( hips especially) take me out of it, I'm not asking for realism, but believability.

Apart from that your avoiding your main weaknesses, or the hard bits by taking shortcuts on the feet and hands. Either with 'manga boots' or using weird mechanical stuff. You need to nail these things, they look fine on a blank sheet of paper but as soon as you try and place that figure in a 3d space with wonky feet it won't work.

Sorry if this all sounds harsh but I REALLY am trying to help. you may not be quite there yet but you can be, and that takes the ability to look at your own work objectively and welcome this sort of stuff, I hope you get what i'm getting at

all the best

CrazyFoxMachine

...should've titled my Crabcake thread this arrogantly or did what the other guy did and said that art in 2000ad was crap - then people may've been drawn to it.

Unfortunately I'm not an arse. Unless I am. In which case I draw...quite...well.

I can't do it. I'm sorry.

JayzusB.Christ

And the chap in the first picture looks like he has a big cock with the bell-end chopped off and all worms coming out of it.
No, he does!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

traviswellman

Quote from: Smarty on 24 July, 2010, 12:43:08 PM

Apart from that your avoiding your main weaknesses, or the hard bits by taking shortcuts on the feet and hands. Either with 'manga boots' or using weird mechanical stuff.

It's not really a shortcut or avoidance, I'm ust trying to be interesting. I practically only read Japanese comics. I can't stand drawing naked men like American books. I see enough hot muscular me in the mirror. I wouldn't mind if I woke up tommorow drawing like Hiroaki Samura or Yoji Shinkawa though. Infact it might help people concentrate on the designs, but I'm still going to be drawing crazy junk aswell, too many people will always be doing realistic stuff better. The world only needs so many Jim Lees. They look a lot better than when I start a few months ago though. I used to draw feet on backwards. I'll take it on board, especially if I think of something that needs to look real. I like Otomo too for this.

Quote...but please, let everyone know how good it is first, so they'll know if it's worth reading or not.

Bet your ass I will

House of Usher

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 July, 2010, 02:11:40 PM
And the chap in the first picture looks like he has a big cock with the bell-end chopped off and all worms coming out of it.
No, he does!

But that's what it's meant to be, isn't it? It's a sub-genre. It seems to be coming out of his arsehole rather than his pubis. Perhaps it's a tail. I won't say it's not well drawn, whatever it is.
STRIKE !!!

JayzusB.Christ

travis gives me the horn, I'll tell you that for nowt.
(To be fair, I do like his drawings really.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

traviswellman

You've got to admit though, professing to be God and getting comments even close to positive isn't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIeOwQqyj-0

Emperor

Quote from: traviswellman on 24 July, 2010, 03:08:48 PMYou've got to admit though, professing to be God and getting comments even close to positive isn't bad.

Any heat is good heat ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JayzusB.Christ

Objectivity seems to be the name of the game on this board, fair play to it.  For example, most people seem to think John Byrne is a cock of the first water, but many of the same people like his work. I've never read it. It's probably shit, though, because he's such a cock.

traviswellman

How do I edit that post. I don't like the space suit one now because the legs were too big, didn't mean to post that one.

JayzusB.Christ

There should still be an edit button on the top right of your message; if you're quick enough you can go back and delete it. Failing that, PM one of the moderators

House of Usher

I'm not sure these portfolio pieces are getting any better, especially the weirdy demon-thing with one arm longer than the other. The best thing about is there's no mistaking the direction in which its head is pointing. There's nothing else I like about it.

The flying boots woman is really well drawn up to her bottom rib, after which I've lost sight of her under a lot of space helmet, stuck-on boobs and giant arms. The pose doesn't ring true. If she's getting propulsion from her feet, there's no reason she would turn her body like a corkscrew under the weight of all that exo-skeleton gubbins; she would strain something. It would make a lot more sense for her just to alter the thrust of her jet boots if she wants to look behind her in mid-air.

You have a good style, which recalls Frank Miller from 25 years ago for me. You owe it yourself to get good at drawing real people with real anatomy and faces. Also I'd suggest trying to make this all make sense by giving your designs a rationale instead of just drawing cool stuff. What does it all mean? What is it you're drawing? I suppose that's all in your writing.

The youtube clip is just horrible, by the way. I'd rather just see the still of the tank inspired by Tetsuo than hear voices going 'bleb bleb bleb' over it.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Quote from: traviswellman on 24 July, 2010, 03:26:47 PM
How do I edit that post. I don't like the space suit one now because the legs were too big, didn't mean to post that one.

Please keep the space suit one. I like it. The big legs aren't any problem at all as far as  can see. Are you saying she needs a bigger arse to balance it out?
:P

Quote from: Emperor on 24 July, 2010, 03:17:30 PM
Any heat is good heat ;)

Emperor, you're standing too near to the uranium!  ::)
STRIKE !!!

traviswellman

The edit buttons gone now. I think I was meant to copy the link next to it. The space one I drew from life which went wrong because the woman that I drew it from had the longest skinniest bendiest (but really hot) body I have seen. Drawing from life is a real pain for this because not many womens legs are exactly 3 heads long. People are getting taller and 4 heads for legs isn't uncommon. Myleene Klass' body is more tham 3 heads long by a little bit and so do a lot of other people. That thing they teach were your arm span is the same as your height obvioulsy isn't true because I watch the UFC and often fighters of the same height have different armspans. Wanderlei silva has arms as long as people 4 inches taller. Not many people are exactly like what they teach at school. Those measurements were just Greek ideals I think. All I can say is that it looks exactly like the woman it was drawn from, from that angle her breasts looked higher than one head and with foreshortening her legs did look big but I've stopped drawing from life now because it doesn't look right for this sort of thing which is why I wanted to get rid of it.
Any other technical issues are just exaggeration and style.

I'm still appreciating any and all comments though.