Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

That was a cracking episode - very funny indeed, especially the stuff about trans time and their horrific tour rosta. This annual must surely be up for some kind of Spinny award this time around.

Steve Green

I'm going to have to dig out the annual.

I remember the trans-time thing being like an exploitation movie - early 2000AD big on genocide...

Steve Green

I'm pretty sure very few in the UK had heard of Schlitz beer over here, or any american beers TBH, can't ever remember the ad making it over here.

Chalk that one down to John's US upbringing.

Dandontdare

Yeah, I didn't hear the commercial for years after- it was another one like Rogers & Hammerstein - "hey that sounds just like.... ohhh"

The Monarch

speaking of things movies ripped off shok....

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 August, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
I'm pretty sure very few in the UK had heard of Schlitz beer over here, or any american beers TBH, can't ever remember the ad making it over here.

Chalk that one down to John's US upbringing.

I assume it's a contemporary Laverne & Shirley reference, which I can vaguely remember seeing at the time and was set in the Milwaukee Schlitz Brewery.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

WhizzBang

I find it interesting that Fox almost never picks Dredd as his favourite thrill - even in the JD annual. I can understand this as when I first discovered 2000AD Sam Slade would have been my top thrill. Dredd is fairly consistantly good though and this wins out over most other series which drop off at some point, even Sam Slade sadly.

SpaceSpinner2000

I can't speak for Fox, but I know I can be reluctant to pick long term thrills as top over things that might be going away soon. You can also see it in our early shows with Invasion, which didn't get a ton of tops despite being one of our all-time favorites because it ran for 50-some issues and was such a stalwart in the progs at the time. Dredd's evergreen nature can make it easy to overlook in favor of thrills with a more limited shelf life. But also Fox is weird and likes weird stuff, surely you can tell that from just listening to the show! :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 August, 2017, 07:48:06 PM
I'm going to have to dig out the annual.

I remember the trans-time thing being like an exploitation movie - early 2000AD big on genocide...

It's definitely one of those situations where there's a mini-apocalypse every month or so in MC-1 and when you list them one after another in a brochure or something it gets very grim very quickly!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: WhizzBang on 05 August, 2017, 08:32:49 PM
I find it interesting that Fox almost never picks Dredd as his favourite thrill - even in the JD annual. I can understand this as when I first discovered 2000AD Sam Slade would have been my top thrill. Dredd is fairly consistantly good though and this wins out over most other series which drop off at some point, even Sam Slade sadly.

I actually noticed that myself a short time ago when listening back to the episodes. Not out of spite, but to be honest I'm a schlock addict and there's a lot in the progs so far. Most of the time I'm thinking within the bubble of the episode, and while JD always delivers on the thrillpower...It's hard not to see something so ridiculous and not hold it up. You can't just show me Fiends of the Eastern Front and not blow my mind.

I came into this with almost 0 understanding of the comic, and JD is someone I know from culture and less from substance. That substance is being filled in now, and the world they're spinning is one I'm much more bought into. This is the longest I've read comics for since I was maybe 15. Wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it. :)

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 178-179 of 2000AD, covering September 1980. This episode is also designed for new listeners, with explanations about the nature of both the show and 2000AD. If you're interested in getting into either, this is a great place to start! As well as a recap and recommendations of thrills and episodes to listen to, this episode also marks the start of several classic 2000AD stories and the start of the dramatic climax to the Judge Child Saga!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

WhizzBang

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 07 August, 2017, 08:25:49 AM
I came into this with almost 0 understanding of the comic, and JD is someone I know from culture and less from substance. That substance is being filled in now, and the world they're spinning is one I'm much more bought into. This is the longest I've read comics for since I was maybe 15. Wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it. :)
I am really glad you are both enjoying it and hope it long continues. I would love it if Pat Mills listened to these podcasts as I think he would very much appreciate the perspective you guys have on it all, especially on the early progs from when he first launched the comic.

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 07 August, 2017, 04:42:00 PM
Please let me know what you think of the episode!

It's frickin' awesome!

'Save The Bomb!' is a reference to the commonly seen slogan in the 1980's of 'Ban The Bomb!'. There was quite a big anti-nuclear movement headed by an organisation called CND (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmement). I recently found out Americans associate it's symbol as the 'Peace symbol' instead of it being a anti-nuclear thing. This is probably because of its association with hippies in the 60's. The symbol is made up of the semaphone signs for 'N' and 'D' - Nuclear Disarmement.

The bit about UK comics not being varied while US stuff is mainly superheroes was well put and not lost on the UK readers of the time, I think. There are barely any UK super heroes and probably the most successful one was a comedy parody called Bananaman which had its own comic and TV show.

I am looking forward to the collections now. It will be easier to follow these with a collected trade than the regular shows are.

SpaceSpinner2000

We've gotten some support from folks like Mills and MacManus, which always gives me a fanboy freak out :) And yeah, I realized most listeners wouldn't be reading from old progs, some hopefully the collections will be a bit more digestible!

Dandontdare

Re free badge gift - a metal front with a safety-pin type back would always be referred to as a badge - pin would mean one of those small lapel ones with a spike and a back piece.

My opus of these progs have holes where I collected the Dredd tshirt tokens I could post pictures of how that Dredd tshirt looked when I rediscovered it last year - tight squeeze is an understatement!.

Another very enjoyable ep - loved the "when's he gonna melt?" bit  :lol:

Dandontdare