Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

"Eureka!" is my other top Alan Moore one-off!

The brilliance of it is, that the idea being spread about is Alan Moore's ofted talked about belief in the idea of time as a Four Dimensional Solid, which if you investigate it, is not only a sound and very plausible explanation for how the Universe works, but also fits the idea that once you've heard it, you can't go back (I've certainly adopted it, so the strip did its job on me!) - "all time is simultaneous..." (if you could step out of it and observe it in its four dimensions, so we are living eternally in a heaven or hell that we make for ourselves here and now - scary or reassuring, depending on your p.o.v.!

I, Cosh

We never really die.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 28 May, 2018, 12:58:42 PM
Die Hard on a space ship is Space Mutiny. They've stolen hours of effects footage from Battlestar Galactica and they're not afraid to go up to speeds of 3!

The Undercity as a D&D campaign setting, you say? Why not try The Rookie's Guide to the Undercity (wot I wrote).  It's out of print, but Amazon has a used copy in good condition for the bargain price of £10,202.51...

My "Die Hard in a [sci fi setting]" library is surprisingly small, though I think I have seen stuff for Space Mutiny! I'd probably get the used copy for $13 if it's all the same to you, though I'll also say that I've had problems running RPGs for intellectual properties that I love but other people aren't that familiar with. It happened with the Warhammer 40K rpg I tried to run, and I'm sure it would happen with a Dredd game :D

Quote from: WhizzBang on 28 May, 2018, 07:13:27 PM
Thanks Conrad and Fox!

I was one of the runners up in the Robo Machines competition and it was a huge thrill to get a letter from Therg on 2000AD headed notepaper. My memory of the toy thing is that Robo Machines were on the market first but didn't have a big impact and were then pretty much forgotten once Transformers came out.

I think they came out at roughly the same time here in the states? But go-bots were definitely the store brand transformers. Though they DID get their own movie, where they fought lame robots that turned into rocks or something. I believe I saw it when it came out, but since that was 30 years ago I can't be trusted for details!

Quote from: Leigh S on 28 May, 2018, 09:25:25 PM
"Eureka!" is my other top Alan Moore one-off!

The brilliance of it is, that the idea being spread about is Alan Moore's ofted talked about belief in the idea of time as a Four Dimensional Solid, which if you investigate it, is not only a sound and very plausible explanation for how the Universe works, but also fits the idea that once you've heard it, you can't go back (I've certainly adopted it, so the strip did its job on me!) - "all time is simultaneous..." (if you could step out of it and observe it in its four dimensions, so we are living eternally in a heaven or hell that we make for ourselves here and now - scary or reassuring, depending on your p.o.v.!

Haha, the problems with the mysteries of the universe is that sometimes I'm not smart enough to understand the inital points! Maybe it's just the crew surrounding the narrator and forcing him to hear the idea at the end, but Eureka! always reminds of The Game episode of Star Trek TNG.

2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Happy to report I heard a lot of love for Spacespinner at this weekend's Lawgiver IV con - I talked to several people who were listening, and recommended it to a few who weren't.

Pyroxian

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 May, 2018, 08:13:39 AM
Happy to report I heard a lot of love for Spacespinner at this weekend's Lawgiver IV con - I talked to several people who were listening, and recommended it to a few who weren't.

Awesome! I really appreciate it! Next year I'm really hoping to get out and show the flag at at least one convention over there, but that is very much in the "wouldn't it be cool if..." stage right now :D
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

By which time, my Skizz Tour of Birmingham will be up and running!  (I jest, but expect at least one photo of a "then and now" Skizz location just down the road from work!

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 29 May, 2018, 07:43:08 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 May, 2018, 08:13:39 AM

Awesome! I really appreciate it! Next year I'm really hoping to get out and show the flag at at least one convention over there, but that is very much in the "wouldn't it be cool if..." stage right now :D

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 29 May, 2018, 08:56:07 PM
By which time, my Skizz Tour of Birmingham will be up and running!  (I jest, but expect at least one photo of a "then and now" Skizz location just down the road from work!

The underpass near the Bullring?  I'm guessing the canals with smoke stacks would be a bit generic (though maybe...)

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 29 May, 2018, 09:59:12 AM
Robo Machines also had their own strip in Eagle - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robo_Machines_(comics)

Tom Tully and Kim Raymond?  Interesting...

Leigh S

The Peace Gardens on Holloway Head (though why Cornelius thinks thats a good place to be at that particular point!

Quote from: sheridan on 29 May, 2018, 09:15:00 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 29 May, 2018, 08:56:07 PM

The underpass near the Bullring?  I'm guessing the canals with smoke stacks would be a bit generic (though maybe...)

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 29 May, 2018, 10:59:07 PM
The Peace Gardens on Holloway Head (though why Cornelius thinks thats a good place to be at that particular point!

I think I've been through there - was there a large London Eye-style Ferris Wheel there about a decade and a half ago?

SpaceSpinner2000

Hey everyone, we're a couple days away from taping our 1983 year in review show, the Spinnies! I'd love to hear what you guys thought about 1983 in the Galaxy's Greatest, and if there's anything you'd like us to discuss on the show. Anyhow, get your golden tuxedos ready! :D

The Monarch

1983 sure was the year i was born in....yup

Steve Green

There seems to be a preference for longer form stories on Dredd, especially from Fox which is interesting. (maybe less so on Robohunter).

I guess Dredd of that period in particular tends to pack a lot more in, so even the longer stories don't drag.

Also quite surprised that something that's heavily influenced by UK drama like Skizz stands the test of time and with an international audience - I guess some things are universal.

Lobo Baggins

The Complete Skizz is half price in the 2000 AD Shop right now...

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB611

...and I'm seriously tempted to buy even though it'll eventually turn up as part of the Hachette Ultimate Collection, as those particular progs were the ones I used to loan out to my RPG group as part of my Introduction to Dredd and they're subsequently in a pretty tatty state...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.