Main Menu

Doctor Strange review

Started by matty_ae, 26 October, 2016, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

^Yeah,I guess all origin stories are similar in a way.And repeat was maybe a strong word,but some similarities are there.
But anyhow,we are getting off topic.So,Doctor Strange...

Dandontdare

Snarky response aside, I think he was referring to the fact that the villain in both films is an evil industrialist who is not only trying to steal the hero's Magic McGuffin, but ends up using an almost identical suit for the big final battle. I don't think it was the "techno/magic powers" thing but the lack of imagination in just making the villain an exact counterpart of the hero with identical gizmos/powers.

Now if Captain America went up against an evil nazi who throws a shield around, or if Spider-Man went up against a supervillain who'd been bitten by a slightly different breed of radioactive spider....

TordelBack

Yes, apologies Smith for the unwarranted dose of snark. I agree that there are plot similarities in addition to the conventions of the genre, but within those parameters they really are very different films.

(Although I'll respond to DDD by noting that many of Spidey's villains are similarly animal-themed (e.g. Doc Ock, the Vulture, the Rhino, the Lizard, the Scorpion, even Venom) with powers of a similar techo-biological origin, and Cap spends much of his time duking it out with enemy super-soldiers empowered with variayions of his own serum or  cybernetic enhancements, ans with a similar WW2 origin... mirroring of hero and villain was a thing even before Killing Joke, honest! On a practical level it allows the powered hero to demonstrate that that their heroic qualities go beyond their enhancements, by fighting on a level playing field and still triumphing).

.(It's interesting to note that Dr Strange does this too, [spoiler]by employing the time-powers of the Eye to match Dormamu's timeless universe and allow them to match wits instead of majicks[/spoiler])..

Smith

Mutants have other mutants as enemies,patriots have "patriots",an Spiderman has animal themed enemies;as JMS notes in his Spiderman run.
Thats how things are,and its not my problem.Its just that the mirror match setup has been overused in Marvel movies,at this point.

Mattofthespurs

Thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon's viewing of Doctor Strange (hugely enhanced by being the only customer in the cinema at the time, it has to be said.)
And if you have not seen it, do stay to the very end. There is a nice piece halfway through the end credits and then another bit right at the very end.
Helps that I was enjoying the score anyway.

Smith

In the end,it was an enjoyable movie.Even if Im a bit burned out on origin stories,like I said before.

Eamonn Clarke

Thought it was splendid. Particularly enjoyed two of the supporting performances, Benedict Wong, and the Cloak of Levitation.

BC was indeed channelling Dr Gregory House MD; the bit about the lead antimony bullet poisoning was, to the best of my professional knowledge, a bit of bogus House-ery. Dr Palmer's technique for relieving Strange's cardiac tamponade looked correct although there was rather more blood in the syringe than I would expect from the pericardium. Her defibrillator technique needs refreshing though, firstly she shocks a flat line (which doesn't work but is one of the top three medical errors shown on TV and film), secondly one she has got a rhythm she then does a complete no-no by increasing the DC shock to 360 joules and shocking a patient with a normal heart rhythm, admittedly she does this under protest at the behest of astral Strange.

Oops, sorry about that. Got caught talking shop again. Anyway I had a great time and look forward to seeing him pop up in the next Avengers movie.

Steve Green

You're worse than Burdis. WORSE!

COMMANDO FORCES

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 November, 2016, 10:46:17 AMmirroring of hero and villain was a thing even before Killing Joke, honest!

Apparently Dormamu is uncredited in the film because he was motion captured and voiced by Cumberbunch - the creative reasoning being that since Dormamu is formless, he'd take on aspects of Strange in order to interact with him.

Tiplodocus

I right enjoyed that. Each everything said about how it bucked the trend in terms of finale (some writer must have been waiting for a vehicle for that reverse time fight sequence since they first saw bullet time in action).

But wouldn't a genuine time loop play out exactly the same every time rather than work through a myriad of possibilities?

I guess this was one of those "magical" time loops then.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!