Main Menu

Future Shocks

Started by animoke, 08 February, 2002, 07:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

animoke

This subject may have been covered before.  If it has - apologies...

There are few things to tempt this lurker into posting but one is Tharg's insistence on printing useless, banal, sub-standard tripe in the shape of 'Future Shocks'.  This week's 'Queen of Spin' was a new low. I do wish he'd stop it.  Comments welcome.

Ah well, at least 'Bad Company' has finished, so it's not all bad ;)

JTurner

As far as I'm concerned, the best thing to happen to the Future Shocks format was Shakara, which began as a series of standard FS style stories before linking them together and actually giving them a little more purpose. By the way I'm saving this week's prog for later, so I can't yet comment on it.

animoke

Fair enough - good things can come from bad (I quite enjoy Shakara).  Still, there is a need for some improved quality control.

Tu-plang

I don't like the way future shocks are limited to 5, occasionally 6 pages.  Some of them seem too stretched or packed in.  Perhaps in future we could have some of differing lenghts, maybe?

"suit you sir"
-tu-p

nathan

Future Shocks, short and sweet
Done well they approach perfection
Like Haiku

Nathan McGuffin-san

paulvonscott

I can't think of a more approriate title.

I understand that the whole point of a future shock is to show that you can write a basic short story, with the neccesary structure and give the required ending.  And I'm also glad they are still in.  I just wonder if people shouldn't worry about the twist ending so much.  I mean really you are then just using the whole story as a vehicle to get to the shock ending.  Which means you may have a good story with a daft ending, or a good ending with a tortuous story.

I thought this weeks was the best for a while.