Judge Dredd Movie is Green Lit!

Started by w3bz, 19 December, 2008, 05:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

New Dredd film in the works?
Time for me to post this again....

PERLMAN FOR DREDD!

Hoagy

Ho. Mai. Gard! Okay We start with the Dead Man scenario to the Death scenario, to the saving the meg from a POSSIBLE Necropilis scenario.

Getcha Retaliation in first, here people!!!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

TordelBack

Wake me up when it's over (again).  Years of crap photo covers and re-jigged logos lie ahead of us now people, years.  This is a local comic, for local people. And so forth.

But not really - anything that boosts the comic's profile and might keep Tharg in polystyrene for another 30 years has my support.  Just listen to Bishop this time, people - please.

IndigoPrime

OK, then: don't bother with an origins—just dump people in the middle of MC-1. Don't try to do an epic that doesn't work out of context (Apocalypse War, Total War and The Day the Law Died would be fine for movie 5, but not movie 1.) Personally, I'd be happy seeing Dredd crunch heads before facing off against Judge Death and then the other dark judges (so, combining Judge Death and Judge Death Lives). Alternatively, it would be pretty interesting to do a take on America, using Dredd as a vehicle to warn against acceptance of an oppressive state. However, that would severely limit sequels, in terms of direction.

Woolly

I reckon a re-working of Bish-Op's 'The Savage Amusement' could work well.
The book makes a perfect introduction to the world of Dredd from a newcomers point of view, and the plot aint too shabby neither!

Roger Godpleton

So for the next few years can we expect the board to look like this?

Christ on a bike, those new pictures look fucking *EDIT* completely amazing! Isn't that Tharg an incredibly attractive hunk! Now if you'll excuse me I have to take a *EDIT* shit.

Yeah, they've really dropped the ball *EDIT* during the games of volleyball all the cast play during lunch break *EDIT*
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

radiator

Wow, so it is true.

In my opinion, 28 Days Later and Sunshine are superb films, so I'm incredibly relieved it's in their hands. I know Garland has his detractors but I really like his work, so I hope he's involved as rumoured.

I hope they go with a modest budget, unknown cast and play it straight - no comedy sidekicks etc, and definitely no Judge Death, Sovs, Psi-Div or any of that. Keep it gritty, realistic(ish), ramp up the black humour and satire and throw in some outrageous, OTT violence.

I don't care how much they change the uniform, in fact I think they should strip it back and make it more like a swat team/riot cop, as long as they keep some of the distinctive features.

With the announcement that Watchmen will be an 18 certificate, I think the days of comics-based films having to pander to a pre-teen audience are over, so they should just go all out - aim for 'cult sleeper hit' over 'blockbuster'.

Steven Sterlacchini

Exciting news, now that it's been confirmed.

2009 production sounds optimistic without a Director and Leading Man attached (that we know of).

The 'rumoured' writer appears to be a fan, from what I've read on someone else's blog.

Very interesting. Good luck.

P.S. second vote for NO Judge Death. :D

Peter Wolf

Well i never.I stand by my previous points i made in another post elsewhere.

GET - IT - RIGHT  !!! Failure is not an option.Listen to the Fans. I didnt rate sunshine but i did rate 28 Weeks Later so i am reasonably confident in DNA films.Go for an 18 certificate as well.

DO NOT give the film studio carte blanche to do what they like.Are you listening and paying attention Rebellion ?  Good.This really hangs on it having the right script plus the budget has to fit the script or the other way round as there is NO point in having big ideas if the budget doesnt fit.There is a lot of room for political satire that makes a statement about living in a police state which is where reality is heading anyway.

Lessons from the last film should have been learnt by now.It looked cheap and plasticy.

I also expect my 120 minutes plus of film and NOT a 90 minute film.220 minutes is fine.There is room for a proper introduction to Dreddworld then that explains its Origins and Origins itself could work very well but only if its the first film in a series and NOT a one off.

Bollox to AAD afflicted people/Teens .I have it [a little bit but it used to be a lot worse] but watching a 2 hr film isnt a problem and when i was growing up i was forced by my Dad [a film fan] to sit through a 2 hr film with frequent questions about what i was watching to see if i was paying attn during the film which sort of worked.Learn to pay attn.

Anyway fantastic news and theres no reason why this film wont work commercially and if the film studio get it right it will do Rebellion/2000ad so much good.  

|
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Art

I wonder who will be playing Dredds love interest.

Pete Wells

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "peterwolf"DO NOT give the film studio carte blanche to do what they like.Are you listening and paying attention Rebellion ?
Given that the previous Dredd film nearly killed 2000 AD and all related stuff, I can't imagine the Kingsleys would do anything other than ensure this isn't a heap of turd. It might be very different to the comic Dredd, but if they let someone create a dreadful movie, it'll impact extremely negatively on some of the most important IP they own.

Regarding radiator's comments, I certainly agree with some of that. Simplifying the uniform, to make it practical, would make sense. Keep some aspects (elements of the iconic helmet design, the black, armoured components), but that eagle and shoulder pad need a little trimming for real-life application! As for playing it straight, that should definitely be true of Dredd, but the film could take the 'sane man in a city-sized asylum' route. Mind you, the wackiness of MC-1 has been dropped somewhat in recent years, perhaps as a reaction to the perceived glumness of real-life 'future' scenarios.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "radiator"Wow, so it is true.

In my opinion, 28 Days Later and Sunshine are superb films, so I'm incredibly relieved it's in their hands. I know Garland has his detractors but I really like his work, so I hope he's involved as rumoured.

It's not the company who made 28 Days Later, it's the one that made 28 Weeks Later and my concern is that their movies tend to have weak, bad and unfinished endings ala Sunshine.

Steven Sterlacchini

There's lots of potential and loads of ideas to take from (perhaps too many).

I wouldn't get to bogged down in explaining everything, just make a good story.

Someone once said about watching films (I may have even read it here) "I'd rather be confused for an hour than bored for two minutes".

The audience will get it without spelling it out. Focus on the story, most the best ones are simply and solid.

jakeblues69

I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!