Main Menu

Byrne on Moore & Brits

Started by abc warrior, 10 June, 2006, 02:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Pretty much - though I believe his complaint was more that "latino women with blonde hair look like whores"...

Matt Timson

Yeah, but come on Wils- she looked 'trashy'.  The mighty Byrne (who never missed an opportunity to put Sue Storm or Jean Grey in bondage gear) said so.  So it must be true.
Pffft...

Wils

He really is a hateful twat, isn't he? Even the way he replies to his own fucking *fans* on his forum is beyond reproach and amplifies The Hate in me, wanting to stab him in the face repeatedly with a crow quill pen. Cock-end.

Art

Wow, apparently the UK is now a post-apocalyptic wasteland...

"I'm 42 years old this year, and this country has become so ugly in the last 20 years I can barely recognise it."

Jim_Campbell

"What Byrne was doing was returning the series to its CORE CONCEPT "

Oh ... right! _Now_ I get it ... the original Doom Patrol was an obscure book which didn't sell very well and which almost no-one remembers.

Yep ... Byrne sure nailed that one with his version.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Adventurer

John Byrne is a giant douche bag.

Film at 11!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

DavidXBrunt

I think it was Dan Jurgens who mulleted Superman.

As for Byrne it all seems a shame. He was involved in some GREAT super hero comics but today. Did you know he drew the recent Elseworld grpahic novel written John Cleese. Cleese felt a bit adrift writing a comic so got a co-writer involved who knew Superman and knew the medium. I forget who it was - Ellist S Maggin? One of those names old time D.C. readers will recognise. Always a good sign as most of the best Cleese material is co-written. Anyway apparantly they wrote a script that was very funny, used the medium well, and justified it's Elseworldlyness with an interesting concept.

And then someone hired John Byrne. He recieved the script and apprantly thought it disrespectful to Superman, too funny, and not good enough. He rw-wrote the script and turned in art that so varied from the scripts that they could either go with his reworking or start from scratch. They went with the cheap option. No one seems to have enjoyed the comic very much.

abc warrior

I'll let Peter David have the last word :

The Comedy Stylings of John Byrne

So over on the Byrne board there's a lengthy thread about the Hulk which consists, for the most part, of bashing my work on the title because, well, it's the Byrne board, so it's SOP. But what really fractured me was the following comment from John:

"Once upon a time, when a writer wanted to "do something different" s/he left the character/title being worked on, handing it over to someone who wanted to continue with the established motifs. Some time around 25 years ago this started to change. Writers like Claremont and David, as well as others, began changing the books/characters to suit their interests of the moment....It's the same old song -- the characters being made to serve the needs of the talent, instead of the talent serving the needs of the characters."

You just have to love that from the guy who, before my run on the title, was handed a character who was unmarried and transformed into a monster when he got angry, and over the course of the run he split the character in two, separating them into two individual beings, thus eliminating a dynamic that had been in place for a quarter of a century, married off the hero, and basically wrote a series of stories that were indistinguishable from "Godzilla"--dedicated scientist and his group of equally dedicated followers pursues a furious green monster he's accidentally unleashed upon the world. Stories that, in short, had nothing to do with the Hulk.

And that's not even counting what the master of lip service to authorial intent did to the Vision, turning him white and unemotional when the original Vision was neither.

That John Byrne. What a crack up.

PAD

Floyd-the-k

there's a sanctimonious little note from JB to the effect that if you like Moore, that's your choice (you fool) but that you shouldn't represent it as something it's not

wouldn't saying that Moore's only story is 'everything you know is a lie' fall under that heading?

soggy

S

P

O

I

L

E

P

So was it Byrne that created the ending where the hero was driven out of england in the end

Bico

It could be argued that Byrne attempted much the same thing with Superman - the original character was a nerdy, clumsy Clark Kent and a heroic know-all Superman, yet Byrne transformed the character and settings.  Kent was a babe magnet, his parents were alive, Superman was vastly depowered, Lex Luthor was a billionaire businessman, Batman and Superman didn't get on, Lois Lane was a kung-fu-kicking army brat, Bizarro was a clone of Superman (rather than an alien), and that's before we get to Byrne's recurring 'themes', like the cigar-chomping, crew-cut, jack-booted lesbian police captain Maggie Sawyer.
I'm personally of the opinion that Byrne is bitter that Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow appeared at the same time as Byrne's Man Of Steel miniseries, yet we all know which is considered the true milestone in Superman mythology and possibly even in comics storytelling.  Moore had a respect for the silly age of comics storytelling that he updated without attempting to retcon out of existence, whilst Byrne is king of retcon revisionism.  Man of Steel  dismissed all the 'silly' stuff from the Superman mythos altogether, and the less said about Byrne's Spiderman retcon monstrosity the better.
'Hypocritical' doesn't cover the half of Byrne's problems, but then Moore-bashing is a favoured sport at the moment among writers.  I'd be more worried about JB's assertion that Jessica Alba wasn't going to be a good Susan Storm (this was before he'd seen the film) because latino women with blonde hair look like whores.

Strange man.

Funt Solo

I've heard of Alan Moore, but this is the first time I've heard of John Byrne, who sounds like an insufferable cock.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Art

I really feel bad for how much more widespread the tabloid press is in the U.K. Here in the States, it's really kind of annoying and harmless but doesn't really do any lasting damage to anyone. (At least not lately.) The National Enquirer really isn't taken seriously by the majority of Americans.

In the U.K., the tabloid press killed Princess Diana.

Oh noes! The PRINCESS!

Wils

But what does Diana score on the Byrne Whore-o-Meter?

Pete Wells

John Byrne wrote a Dredd arc for the DC Legends of the Law series if I remember correctly. In the story he had Dredd shoot Judge Morphy (of all people!) through the head to make him appear to be a bad guy. Unforgivable.