Main Menu

Who Is Your favourite Writer To Have Come Through 2000AD?

Started by Alski, 31 October, 2011, 10:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heath C Ackley

Moore Gaiman Milligan. If we are talking about those who have stayed with 2000ad, then Mills Grant Wagner, (The more perceptive of you might have noted that I'm not found of lists)
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Lee Bates on 01 November, 2011, 01:54:54 PM
Well, I tried very hard to like Preacher after having it recommended to me by a couple of friends and I just couldn't get along with it. Ennis seemed to take every opportunity to leap immediately to the most 'shocking' scenario he can imagine (more often than not this turns out to be homosexual rape which he seems morbidly and boringly obsessed with) and it gets really tiresome, really quickly. Add to that the utter worthless piece of juvenile crap which is The Pro which I read in Clint and that's me done with Garth Ennis.

Admittedly I haven't read any of his war comics but what I have read didn't impress.

You're right about The Pro and I've never been interested in Punisher or Preacher.

War Stories and Battlefields are excellent, though, and his Dan Dare was even better.

Modern Panther

His Holiness, Sir Alan of Moore. 

I've found that with Grant Morrison, there's little middleground:  I either love it or find it unreadable. 

Mark Millar makes a decent living drawing the storyboards for hollywood movies and publishing them as comics.  I can honestly say that Wanted is the most awful thing I've ever read.

The Corinthian

Much as I love him, I'd argue that Neil Gaiman shouldn't qualify for this. He did a handful of Future Shocks at the outset of his comics-writing life but I don't think it would have affected his career trajectory if they'd never been printed. With Moore, Morrison, Milligan et al you see them come to 2000AD and grew and develop through their one-off stories and their series; it's like they're slowly and painstakingly mapping out the territory. Gaiman, on the other hand, is someone who stops off for a cup of coffee and a chance to get his bearings before moving on.

And - with no disrespect to either of them - Gaiman was never going to be a natural Tooth writer.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Corinthian on 01 November, 2011, 10:15:34 PM
Much as I love him, I'd argue that Neil Gaiman shouldn't qualify for this.

For what its worth I totally agree with this. Neil Gaiman was never a 2000ad writer (well clearly he was for like what a few issues) but its barely a side note in his career.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Not sure what the point of disallowing Gaiman, Mills, Wagner, etc. is, except to limit the discussion to whether or not you like Mark Millar.

Actually, that's always an enjoyable discussion...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Alski on 31 October, 2011, 10:11:34 PM

What writer who came through the ranks at 2000AD then buggered off elsewhere has impressed you the most with his post 2000AD output?

You're quite right it does limit the discussion but being in education I feel obliged to advice everyone to make sure they have read the question properly and answer it. NOT TAYLOR what they think the question is.

Mind where the discussion spins off to is really up to everyone.

Alski

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 November, 2011, 02:12:28 PM
Quote from: Alski on 31 October, 2011, 10:11:34 PM

What writer who came through the ranks at 2000AD then buggered off elsewhere has impressed you the most with his post 2000AD output?

You're quite right it does limit the discussion but being in education I feel obliged to advice everyone to make sure they have read the question properly and answer it. NOT TAYLOR what they think the question is.

As someone not in education, i would advise people not to TAILOR what they think the question is...
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Dark Jimbo

Others have their merits, but for me there's no question it has to be Moore.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 November, 2011, 02:12:28 PM

I answered "Who Is Your favourite Writer To Have Come Through 2000AD?".

Please grade me appropriately.

Alski

Quote from: ChrisDenton on 02 November, 2011, 01:42:49 PM
Not sure what the point of disallowing Gaiman, Mills, Wagner, etc. is

"What writer who came through the ranks at 2000AD then buggered off elsewhere has impressed you the most with his post 2000AD output?"

This...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Alski on 02 November, 2011, 03:06:17 PM

As someone not in education, i would advise people not to TAILOR what they think the question is...

Hoping I'm being over cautious here but just in case I have course offence or annoyance. Can I just point out that my surname is Taylor and I was trying to (possibly unsuccessfully) light heartedly mimic a teacher (some one in education like myself) shouting at me as happened so often in the past. I think there should be a comma in there? Being in education and all I really should know!

Alski

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 November, 2011, 03:26:46 PM
Quote from: Alski on 02 November, 2011, 03:06:17 PM

Hoping I'm being over cautious here but just in case I have course offence or annoyance. Can I just point out that my surname is Taylor and I was trying to (possibly unsuccessfully) light heartedly mimic a teacher (some one in education like myself) shouting at me as happened so often in the past. I think there should be a comma in there? Being in education and all I really should know!

Oh all right... you can come back in the class.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Alski on 02 November, 2011, 03:26:15 PM

"What writer who came through the ranks at 2000AD then buggered off elsewhere has impressed you the most with his post 2000AD output?"

This...

Yeah, that's a different question and my only answer to it is "Not Mark Millar, the useless sodding sod."

Alski

Quote from: ChrisDenton on 02 November, 2011, 03:39:40 PM
Quote from: Alski on 02 November, 2011, 03:26:15 PM

This...

Yeah, that's a different question and my only answer to it is "Not Mark Millar, the useless sodding sod."

Well that's not a proper answer. You get an F.