Main Menu

Watchmen 2 'confirmed' well according to Bleeding Cool at least

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 December, 2011, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Any additional Watchmen material is a bad idea in my book. If there were to do anything that might be some kind of companion piece, I guess a Charlton Characters story could be quite interesting from the angle that it was how the story came to be.

Reading the Alan Moore interview, and it's hard to know for sure as an outsider, it does strike me as a little paranoid: That DC would offer a prose adaptation of Watchmen or V to Steve Moore, Alan's closest friend, at a moment when Steve could really do with some immediate financial help, could just as easily be seen as thoughtful, when they could have offered to to any number of other people.

A.Cow

Quote from: Lee Bates on 02 December, 2011, 12:26:48 PM
Why does everything have to be a 'franchise' nowadays?

Greed, pure and simple.

An old mate of mine runs a doing-very-nicely sports trophy engraving shop.  He keeps getting offers from people to help him expand the business.  'Cept he doesn't want to.

People have been indoctrinated that business is about "making as much money as possible".  It's not.  Business & commerce only exist so that people can survive -- buy food, have a roof over their head etc.  Once somebody is comfortable, why should they need any more money?  Surely JK Rowling has now reached the stage she can sign over all royalties directly to charity?

I know some people would suggest that this view is niaive...

Steven Denton

Expanded universe puts me in mind of fan fiction, don't get me wrong I like fan fiction, I write fan fiction, that doesn't mean that I want to see flag ship fan fiction from DC. I would like to see some new ideas not echoes of past glories.
People always make a big deal of watchmen being based on Charlton characters, which is true it was, then it moved on. There is very little of the Charlton charters in the Watchmen 'versions' Alan Moore took his idea and ran with it and by running with it left the sauce material so far behind it's barley an interesting foot note.
I don't have any interest really in specifically seeing the story of Moloch's rise in the underworld, it's not what is interesting about Moloch in Watchmen and I can't really see how it would be any different  to telling the story of a new crime boss characters rise in the underworld in a 'superhero universe'... except  you could try and ride off the popularity of another creators work.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steven Denton on 04 December, 2011, 12:06:55 AM
Alan Moore took his idea and ran with it and by running with it left the sauce material so far behind it's barley an interesting foot note.

What is this sauce & barley you speak of? I found none of it in my Charlton hardbacks. I want my sauce & barley, I paid for it. What good is it without the sauce & barley. Is it in sachets, could they have fallen out?

Damn that sauce & barley.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 December, 2011, 10:58:38 AM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 01 December, 2011, 08:16:32 PM
Damn you Lucas.. Damn you for unleashing the 'prequel' on the world..

Hey, blame Coppola!  He started it!   

*cough*cough* Tolkien.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 03 December, 2011, 04:29:05 PM

Reading the Alan Moore interview, and it's hard to know for sure as an outsider, it does strike me as a little paranoid: That DC would offer a prose adaptation of Watchmen or V to Steve Moore, Alan's closest friend, at a moment when Steve could really do with some immediate financial help, could just as easily be seen as thoughtful, when they could have offered to to any number of other people.

DC probably offered it to Steve as he had written the novelization of V for Vendetta.

What is curious is that DC have not published any thing by Steve, a freelancer with an established  need for the higher page rates that they pay, since.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Steven Denton

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 December, 2011, 01:54:37 AM
Alan Moore took his idea and ran with it and by running with it left the sauce material so far behind it's barley an interesting foot note.

What is this sauce & barley you speak of? I found none of it in my Charlton hardbacks. I want my sauce & barley, I paid for it. What good is it without the sauce & barley. Is it in sachets, could they have fallen out?

Damn that sauce & barley.

Being dyslexic means I am unlikely to notice when the spell checker changes the word I want to use into a word that looks like it but is completely wrong I meant to write source and barely.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Expanded universe puts me in mind of fan fiction, don't get me wrong I like fan fiction, I write fan fiction, that doesn't mean that I want to see flag ship fan fiction from DC. I would like to see some new ideas not echoes of past glories.

Agreed.

Unless of course DC team the Watchmen up with Bill Savage to fight the Volgans. That would be amazing.

SKD

They could always get Frank Miller to do a Watchmen: Super Pets series.......  :D

Stew.

Modern Panther

Can't help but think Frank Miller would treat Veidt as the hero...

I always felt that the great strength of the Watchmen series was that is was a snapshot of a world, with huge parts of its mythos left to the imagination.  Characters like Moloch appear to have been given very little visible backstory on purpose.  If you were to read a prequel pertaining to Moloch, or Wally, or find out why young Bernie spends his days on the street, would it add anything to the overall purpose of the story? 

I'd also be a bit concerned that a sequel (or prequel) would be a sequel to the film, rather than the book.  Either way, for someone coming to the Watchmen comic book for the first time, i can only see it as damaging the worth if the tale.

TordelBack

JOE SOAP

Colin YNWA

I think its about time we resurrected this fella to remind all those nah sayers that there are plenty more stories for The Watchmen out there just waiting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 December, 2011, 06:38:52 PM
I think its about time we resurrected this fella to remind all those nah sayers that there are plenty more stories for The Watchmen out there just waiting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Genius. Is it wrong to wish this was an actual series?

Goaty