Main Menu

Dredd: The Complete Case Files

Started by Arkady, 24 August, 2015, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Quote from: Richard on 29 August, 2015, 01:29:16 PM
Well it would be if they hadn't left the first one out (and the Kenny Who? sequel).

America II isn't a crossover. They're only leaving those out because of the shared copyright, and there's a collection of all of those.

I also have the America collection, so it's not that I'm missing out. It's just that given how important the America stories are in the Judge Dredd series, it seems like a baffling decision to leave them out of a series which purports to be a complete series.

It doesnt say it is complete - just that it is in order.
It's a joke. I was joking.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Skullmo on 29 August, 2015, 05:41:29 PM

The books are titled Judge Dredd - The Complete Case Files

Skullmo

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 August, 2015, 06:08:41 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 29 August, 2015, 05:41:29 PM

The books are titled Judge Dredd - The Complete Case Files

Just write 'not quite' before complete and you can stop complaining!

radiator

JUDGE DREDD: THE COMPLETE* CASE FILES

TordelBack

Any story that ran as the main Judge Dredd strip banner in either Prog or Meg, and isn't a copyright nightmare, should have been included.

Stuff like The Taxidermist, Kenny Who?, Banzai Batallion are no different to Anderson, Chopper or Janus stories, in that they started in the main strip but became clear spinoffs, and deserve their own collections.  I'm sure that TMO now regrets the decision not to include America, which despite decent  arguments to the contrary is in every respect a Judge Dredd strip, and quite possibly THE Judge Dredd strip.

However, this ship sailed long ago, and the best we could hope for would be its inclusion in a hardback revisit of Vol 15(?) some time in the distant future. Would you buy it?

Fading of the Light is the more pressing question.  I'd vote for its inclusion, despite my (quick mental calculation) 3 previous versions.

Skullmo

I buy the complete case files to read stories I have not seen for years or missed in the original run. I would HATE to have a long story like fading of the light take up valuable space. I am not a completist, I did not buy the cursed earth or apocalypse war volumes.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Richard on 29 August, 2015, 01:29:16 PM
given how important the America stories are in the Judge Dredd series, it seems like a baffling decision to leave them out of a series which purports to be a complete series.

I'm still baffled that they left the Dreddworld intro out of "The Complete Al's Baby".

I'm not, by the way, advocating that Al's Baby should be included in the Case Files.  I am however advocating that Tharg buys a dictionary that includes a definition of the word "complete" in it.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Skullmo on 30 August, 2015, 12:37:46 PMI buy the complete case files to read stories I have not seen for years or missed in the original run. I would HATE to have a long story like fading of the light take up valuable space.
But then you could argue the same about any multi-part tale, surely? Graveyard Shift, say?

Quote from: Dash Decent on 30 August, 2015, 01:37:35 PMI'm still baffled that they left the Dreddworld intro out of "The Complete Al's Baby".
I was actually quite happy about that. It was clearly tacked on at the time.

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 30 August, 2015, 12:37:46 PM
I buy the complete case files to read stories I have not seen for years or missed in the original run. I would HATE to have a long story like fading of the light take up valuable space. I am not a completist, I did not buy the cursed earth or apocalypse war volumes.

If you're not a completed then the Complete Casefiles may not be the reprint format for you! Regrettably it's not perfect for completing either. What it is, however, is a marvellous series, and long may it continue.

TordelBack

'Completist', obv, not 'completed'. Why does autocorrect hate that word so?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 August, 2015, 01:58:27 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 30 August, 2015, 01:37:35 PMI'm still baffled that they left the Dreddworld intro out of "The Complete Al's Baby".

Aye, I'm baffled that Dash is baffled. The story loses nothing, but gains a lot without that intro - now it's a graphic novel that stands alone, that you can give to friends on its own merits without having to explain the context.
@jamesfeistdraws

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 August, 2015, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 August, 2015, 01:58:27 PM

Aye, I'm baffled that Dash is baffled. The story loses nothing, but gains a lot without that intro - now it's a graphic novel that stands alone, that you can give to friends on its own merits without having to explain the context.

It was left out because John Wagner wanted it left out.

Dark Jimbo

As to America II, while I'm of the 'if it was a Dredd story then it should go in' school; surely everyone's got it already in the TPB they had to buy to get America I?

So if it gets left out I'll be secretly glad that the extra pagecount in Case Files 26 can be used for something else, not to mention deriving a certain amount of sadistic glee from the weeping and gnashing of teeth that would ensue here.  >:D
@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 August, 2015, 02:20:42 PM
As to America II, while I'm of the 'if it was a Dredd story then it should go in' school; surely everyone's got it already in the TPB they had to buy to get America I?

So if it gets left out I'll be secretly glad that the extra pagecount in Case Files 26 can be used for something else, not to mention deriving a certain amount of sadistic glee from the weeping and gnashing of teeth that would ensue here.  >:D

I reckon lave out america 2 but put the later Beeny stories in just to make people really angry! Oh and change the spine too

Richard

Part of the problem is that just because we all know about America doesn't mean other people do. There will no doubt be plenty of people buying the series and thinking that means they have the whole series (and consequently not buying other Dredd books), not realising they are missing one of the best Dredd stories ever.