Main Menu

Dredd: The Complete Case Files

Started by Arkady, 24 August, 2015, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacob g

Funny thing, there will be polish edition of Complete Case Files... starting with Complete Case Files 13  :lol:
margaritas ante porcos

Prodigal2

Guys for those of us who jumped on board only a few years ago is case files 26 worth picking up? I am a bit lost as I try to follow its content exploration on this thread. I have all the America stuff incidentally.

TIA.

AlexF

If you've read enough Dredd to be up to CF26, then I'd say definitely yes, this volume is worth picking up! In general, Dredd is on an upswing from this point onwards.

It includes all the Dredd strips from Progs 1029-1052, and from Megs 3.19-3.33 (except that it doesn't include America II: Fading of the Light, which was originally run under the Judge Dredd banner, but has been reprinted several times collected under the 'America' banner.)

The biggest story arc in it is 'The Hunting Party', which was one of the first Rebellion Dredd collections from years and years ago, but hasn't been reprinted since. It is both a fun story (about Dredd tkaing some rookies into the Cursed Earth) and, in a loose way, a foreshadowing of Origins. Plus it introduces some new young Judges who continue to be supporting characters for a while. Oh, and it's specifically a sequel to the Dune Sharks story that was reprinted in CF25.

The main Meg reprint is Fetish, which is John Smith and Siku - both somewhat acquired tastes when it comes to Dredd - but worth some time if you like stories where Dredd leaves MC1. The majority of the rest a short one-off Wagner eipsodes, which are always fun. Even the Mark Millar effort that opens the volume is one of his less bad ones.

There are also two stories in which Dredd teams up with characters from other Megazine strips, which may or may not tickle your fancy.

Artistically speaking, it's one of the most stylistically varied volumes yet.

Prodigal2

Quote from: AlexF on 21 January, 2016, 11:55:38 AM
If you've read enough Dredd to be up to CF26, then I'd say definitely yes, this volume is worth picking up! In general, Dredd is on an upswing from this point onwards.

It includes all the Dredd strips from Progs 1029-1052, and from Megs 3.19-3.33 (except that it doesn't include America II: Fading of the Light, which was originally run under the Judge Dredd banner, but has been reprinted several times collected under the 'America' banner.)

The biggest story arc in it is 'The Hunting Party', which was one of the first Rebellion Dredd collections from years and years ago, but hasn't been reprinted since. It is both a fun story (about Dredd tkaing some rookies into the Cursed Earth) and, in a loose way, a foreshadowing of Origins. Plus it introduces some new young Judges who continue to be supporting characters for a while. Oh, and it's specifically a sequel to the Dune Sharks story that was reprinted in CF25.

The main Meg reprint is Fetish, which is John Smith and Siku - both somewhat acquired tastes when it comes to Dredd - but worth some time if you like stories where Dredd leaves MC1. The majority of the rest a short one-off Wagner eipsodes, which are always fun. Even the Mark Millar effort that opens the volume is one of his less bad ones.

There are also two stories in which Dredd teams up with characters from other Megazine strips, which may or may not tickle your fancy.

Artistically speaking, it's one of the most stylistically varied volumes yet.

Alex thanks-appreciate it fella.

Dark Jimbo

The debut of Oola Blint is reason enough alone to buy CF26!
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

I'm just hoping that with the Complete Cursed Earth we'll get another hardback of CF2.  A bookplate by McMahon would be an absolute blinder. (but perhaps way too much to hope for, I'm just going to put that in my letter to Father Christmas Tharg).

radiator

I've said it before, but the Case Files are entering a bit of a rich goldmine of Dredd material in my opinion. A lot of really solid stuff, including some of the best Dredd ever published, that has never been reprinted anywhere. And it's the start of what is pretty much the most prolific, unbroken (solo) run John Wagner has ever done on the character, with loads of fantastic artwork to boot. It's also some of the most consistent Dredd material ever - it feels like Wagner was really crafting Dredd as a weekly serial/soap opera at this point so we get what is undoubtedly the biggest supporting cast of recurring characters Dredd has ever had.

To name just two off the top of my head, The Mega-City Way of Death and Simple Domestic are both forgotten classics that are well overdue another airing. I also think Doomsday is a seriously underrated epic - especially all the build up to it.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Hawkmumbler

8-Ball

Given how the story is split between the Prog and the Meg I wonder how Doomsday will be presented in the CF. I have the Hamlyn editions Doomsday for Dredd and Doomsday for Mega-City One and it is a beast of a story.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Dash Decent

We know Hatchette are presenting them as two separate volumes so they'll have to do it the same way as the Hamlyn editions.  They could only interleave the stories (to replicate the timing of the prog/meg publications) if they were doing a single whopper of a volume, or if they were prepared to stop the story somewhere in the middle and expect subscribers to wait until the release of the second Doomsday book to finish the tale.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tjm86

Quote from: 8-Ball on 24 January, 2016, 07:48:36 PM
Given how the story is split between the Prog and the Meg I wonder how Doomsday will be presented in the CF. I have the Hamlyn editions Doomsday for Dredd and Doomsday for Mega-City One and it is a beast of a story.

If memory serves me correctly this was a deliberate editorial choice following the poor reception of Judgement Day.  It was felt that running two parallel and related stories would work better.  To be honest, I think it does.  Plus you have the return of Kennedy and Wilson to Dredd, two titans that have been criminally underused in recent years (granted, in the case of his Lairdship with good reason).

IndigoPrime

Having read these recently, they work as standalone volumes. Mixing them together wouldn't really be advantageous in the way it was for Trifecta.

Arkady

Hi guys. What's the deal with these 'new' Case File editions with different covers, e.g.:

Colin YNWA

Aren't they the US Editions. Same content just a different cover for the US market.