Main Menu

Dredd: The Complete Case Files

Started by Arkady, 24 August, 2015, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

#30 Well everything I said about Doomsday back in Megazin review still applies.

Arkady

Anything particularly exciting that we can expect in CF#31?

AlexF

Nothing spectacular, to be honest - Banzai Battalion are always fun, but you may already have the collection of that strip. Plenty of John Wagner scripted one-offs, mostly fairly funny as I recall, but also quite a few Alan Grant one-offs, which try to be full-on comedy but don't always come off. The Megazine reprints will include J D Megson, which is a sort of metaphorical account of the trials and tribulations of the Megazine during its first 10 years, and is pretty great on that level, but may not have much impact if you weren't reading the Megazine at the time...

There's an epilogue to Doomsday, Volt Face, and then the Cal Legacy, are the standout 'continuity' heavy episodes. There's also 'Blood Cadets', a fantastic tale of Young Dredd, with awesome Simon Fraser art - but I can't tell if that'll be the last story in CF31, or the first in CF32...

Out of interest, has anyone here been getting the US versions of the Case Files? Some of the early UK volumes, especially the supermassive phonebook sized collections, have some pretty dodgy repro. Would it be an upgrade to get the US version of, say, Case Files 8-10, or is it the same problem in both?

Arkady

Sorry, meant to say ah great - I have fond memories of the Cal Legacy (though did it ever go anywhere?) and Bloody Cadets was one of the last things I remember from before I dropped the prog. Not read any of the Megazine stuff from this period.

I'd buy Case Files 1-11 again in a heartbeat if the reduced them in the current slim, glossy format - with colour pages restored!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Arkady on 07 February, 2018, 02:16:17 PM
I'd buy Case Files 1-11 again in a heartbeat if the reduced them in the current slim, glossy format - with colour pages restored!

Me too!
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

Still hankering after hardcover bookplate editions.  The 10th Anniversary edition is getting lonely.   :(

Richard

QuoteI have fond memories of the Cal Legacy (though did it ever go anywhere?)
The Cal Legacy was an epilogue to the Judge Edgar storyline that had been going on for the last five years or so, rather than a prologue to something. But it's also the story in which Hershey became chief judge and Buell became head of SJS. And continuity stuff aside, its a good story in it's own right, especially the scene with Buell, Garcia and Muncie, which is a real laugh-out-loud moment.

It did however set Edgar up in the Cursed Earth for the excellent stories Revenge of the Chief Judge's Man and The Edgar Case.

Blood Cadets introduced Judge Rico. CF31 also brings back Trapper Hag and Walter the Wobot, and John Wagner appears in a story!

Not sure if Dead Ringer will be in 31 or 32, but that's a cracking story.

Dark Jimbo

Most importantly of all, we swapped Alan Craddock for Chris Blythe!
@jamesfeistdraws

DrJomster

Quote from: Smith on 29 December, 2016, 02:18:50 PM
CF #28 was pretty good.Jimmy Deans,Beyond the call of duty,LIAR party,demonic(well,more demonic) Teletubies,Taxidermist returns.Good stuff.
BTW,will #29 collect Doomsday Scenario?

I'm on 28 from the amazingly generous recent sale. Most of the way through and it's been tops so far. Can only echo the love for taxidermist, Jimmy Deans and Beyond the Call Of Duty. A fine addition to the case files!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

seanharry

There is a hardcover of the first volume, with colour pages, glossy paper and better reproduction. It is a much better presentation, but I'm assuming that it didn't sell well, as they didn't do any further volumes.

I think that they should do a harcover of volume two, which, as well as including the colour pages, better paper and better reproduction, would allow them to include the 4 previously banned episdes of The Cursed earth.

Max Headroom

Hardcover deluxe editions of all the Case Files would be brilliant and definitely the way to go. (Sadly though, I don't think it will happen.)

Arkady

Anyone else got Case Files 31? Is it just me or does page 258 seem to be printed in the wrong order?

Arkady

CF31 also features covers from progs that aren't covered by that volume!

broodblik

Quote from: Arkady on 15 April, 2018, 01:27:16 PM
Anyone else got Case Files 31? Is it just me or does page 258 seem to be printed in the wrong order?

Yes, I agree the page feels out of order but it could have been done as an introduction to next part of JD's travel
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.