Main Menu

Enniskillen Comic Fest 2017

Started by Tony Angelino, 22 January, 2017, 10:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judgedreddrocks

Or what?
You must be a big guy to b making big threats.

ZenArcade

They aren't threats. They are a fairly tempered and apt reply to something that has reemerged from under a stone in order to crap on the excellent work of love and care currently being done by the Enniskillen organisers.  You're still banned by the way. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Judgedreddrocks

ZenArcade

Just a friend of the guys in Enniskillen calling it as he sees it. Me and a couple of friends twigged you right away. The moderators come back to you yet?? Z

Bolt-01

Okay- this ends now.

ZenArcade- tone down the language.
JudgeDreddRocks- Your recent comments are not helping.

Keep it civil-

Judgedreddrocks

ZenArcade

ZenArcade

Having paid proper heed to Bolt-01's request, i would urge all with an interest in purely comic orientated conventions to pop down to Enniskillen this year.

There are a large number of writers and artists in attendance.  The panels held last year were hugely entertaining and served as a vehicle for both creators of international repute and local young writers and artists to engage and expand the audiences appreciation of the medium.

Last year people from all over Ireland and further afield converged on Enniskillen: old acquaintances were reaffirmed and new friendships were crafted in a delightfully convivial atmosphere. There were plans made for new enterprises, one of which is our new Belfast 2000ad forum which meets monthly (parts of it weekly) and has a broad church membership of local readers and creators, very much in keeping with what we took from Enniskillen last year.

We have plans to come to Enniskillen and produce a graphic/written piece of work as a gift to the Enniskillen organisers in true appreciation of what they are so successfully achieving.  So in summation ignore the negativity and come down/up/across to a fun, friendly gathering in beautiful surroundings. Pubs, restaurants, places to stay abound and are most affordable....and you never know, it mightn't even rain this year. Z

Mikey

I'm hoping to make it down this year - would really like to support a local effort, never mind meeting The Big Two on home turf!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

pauljholden

It's a shame Judgedreddrocks didn't enjoy the enniskillen con, clearly didn't work for him (or his kids). Conventions are funny things, they all have different flavours and I've never known any convention to be the same thing twice.

"It took ages to get there" is a rather weird complaint though, which would have rather more to do with where JDR was based than where the convention was and I wish he'd led with the post about him and his kids not enjoying it because then at least you could address that and learn from it, rather than going straight for the jugular clearly riling up friends of the con.

Conventions like Enniskillin are not run for-profit (often they're run for a loss), they're usually run by fans for fans (and in the hometown of the fans who run them), they try and improve every single time they're on. Learning valuable lessons from each show, but they're not trying to be the Belfast Comic Con

And a note on that. There are two Belfast "Comic-Cons" the MCM Comic Con and the Belfast Film and Comic Con, run by different companies, run for profit and vast things that often have only a nominal amount of comic book guests - in fact, as a local comic artist, you'd think I'd be a shoe in for a table, and managed to get invited to both cons in their first year, not a peep in the second and despite actually asking if I could pop along being told in no uncertain terms that well.. The film and comic con doesn't really have any sort of comic presence and I'd be the token comic artist... if I still wanted to come along. I declined.

MCM have at least an artists table section and I know a few artists come along to that. Personally, I don't enjoy these things and so rarely if ever do them, and writers never go to them at all.

As it happens the Enniskillen con has a lot more in common with brit comic conventions of old, rather than the Monstrous cash extractors of MCM Belfast or the Belfast Film and Comic Con, less movie spectacle and more comics and the comic guests are actually treated as guests (rather than some appendix to the main event tolerated in order to validly use the words "comic-con" in the title) so we tend to be that little more laid back, happy to chat and you're far more likely to see a writer there as a result.

I hope you give it another chance, I don't think it's unreasonable to give anything or anyone another chance.

On that note, what do you think they could do to improve the experience for the kids?

-PJ

maryanddavid

Ill be there fingers crossed, with a table an all!
Looking forward to meeting more board members too, be sure to drop by and say hello.

Splank!

Enniskillen Comic Fest 2016 was a real throwback to a time when conventions were all about comics rather than being overgrown toy-shops.  Really looking forward to this year's event.  Here is a link to the Splank! blog which covers the fest and a few other things going on in the Irish Comics scene. 

http://splankblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/splank-has-been-off-air-for-few-weeks.html

BPP

After missing last years because of only finding out about it too late I'm totally looking forward to this. If Enniskillen has 1/4 the magic of 2D it will be a great affair.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Steve Green

I see on Twitter Colin MacNeil has had to pull out due to work, but his replacement is Ian Gibson.

Tony Angelino

Ian Gibson could make the difference to me between actually going to this or just sitting about and thinking about going.