Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

The Nerve Centre makes it's first appearance in Prog 2.

sheridan

Onwards, to Prog 3, and the Belardinelli droid's first two-story prog (not that there are many - I think there's one coming up where he draws the Dredd as well as Dare).

p.s. we also get our first glimpse of what working conditions are like in the Command Module.

sheridan

Up to Prog 4 and Kevin O'Neill's first bona fide comics work in the Galaxy's Greatest (the background of one panel in the Dredd Brotherhood of Darkness story, and a full-page comic strip / advert for Flesh products).

Spikes

O'Neill redrew/altered some of McMahon's work? Interesting. Which panel was that Sheridan?

(And didn't Kevin draw the little Tharg head on the cover of Prog 1?)

sheridan

Quote from: Spikes on 13 September, 2015, 10:52:47 AM
O'Neill redrew/altered some of McMahon's work? Interesting. Which panel was that Sheridan?

(And didn't Kevin draw the little Tharg head on the cover of Prog 1?)
I think he did draw that Tharg, but could stand to be corrected.

Bottom right panel of the third page - that's definitely an early O'Neill skull!  Looks like he just filled in what would otherwise be a blank background.

Spikes

Cheers for that.
I did have a look-see before your reply, to see if I could spot the panel in question, and the one you've mention was the one that did catch my eye. So, was this stated for sure, or is this something you have felt was always the case?
Certainly over the years, artwork was altered a good few times before going to print.

But a great excuse to re-read that particular episode!

sheridan

Quote from: Spikes on 13 September, 2015, 07:16:28 PM
Cheers for that.
I did have a look-see before your reply, to see if I could spot the panel in question, and the one you've mention was the one that did catch my eye. So, was this stated for sure, or is this something you have felt was always the case?
Certainly over the years, artwork was altered a good few times before going to print.

But a great excuse to re-read that particular episode!

I don't remember noticing it myself, but can't work out where I read about it.  In the course of my failed research I did just find out that Kev had to bodge some Volg outriders into an Invasion! strip, because to the Argentinian artist who originally drew them an outrider is a guy on a horse.  That's something to look out for (assuming I haven't already missed it).

sheridan

Oops - posted the blogpost a few hours ago but completely forgot to update here, Dredd made the cover and we John Cooper joins the roster of art droids.

glassstanley

Quote from: sheridan on 13 September, 2015, 02:52:22 AM
Up to Prog 4 and Kevin O'Neill's first bona fide comics work in the Galaxy's Greatest (the background of one panel in the Dredd Brotherhood of Darkness story, and a full-page comic strip / advert for Flesh products).

In Prog 1's episode of Flesh, final page, final panel, the Trans Time base has always looked like O'Neill's work to me.

sheridan

Is that Satanus in Prog 6?  I'll wait until the Cursed Earth, then go back and compare scenes...

AlexF

Your ambition on covering EVERYTHING is to be greatly admired! Good luck to you.

As you say, it's tough to find new things to say about the very early Progs that hasn't been said before, but so far so good!

Dominic O'Rourke

I'm up to prog 1234 on my slog.

There was an awful lull from around 750 onwards, but I pulled through.

I started off trying to read it all in order, but after the dune shark Dredd crossover, I've taken to reading a year of the prog and a year of the Meg.
Member No. 10

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 15 September, 2015, 01:52:50 PM
Your ambition on covering EVERYTHING is to be greatly admired! Good luck to you.

As you say, it's tough to find new things to say about the very early Progs that hasn't been said before, but so far so good!
Thanks!  I probably won't include the phone cards ('coz I don't have them), but will include the movies - not sure what I'll do about the audio plays and books yet, but I'll fit 'em in somehow.

sheridan

Galactic Greetings, or as aliens say, Borag Thungg! - yep, while Splundig Vur Thrigg was with us from the beginning, Prog 7 saw the first use of Tharg's now-familiar greeting.  Coincidentally, given recent previews, it also sees the first appearance of the Statue of Judgement too.  In later years it'll be surrounded by a sea of concrete, but in 2099 at least it still has some of Upper New York Bay behind it.

sheridan

Quote from: glassstanley on 14 September, 2015, 08:05:54 AM
In Prog 1's episode of Flesh, final page, final panel, the Trans Time base has always looked like O'Neill's work to me.

That one has crossed my mind in the past too, but it's not quite distinctive enough to be conclusive for me (probably is our Kev though).