Main Menu

THE ORVILLE

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2017, 09:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 October, 2017, 11:27:20 PM...stuff that was detrimental to the Trek brand like (checks CBS fan movie guidelines) spending too much money, using foul language, or portraying excessive violence or gore.

Ah Bear, your Trek musings do make my mornings pass more easily.

The Legendary Shark

Aye, I agree. Food for thought at any rate.

Now we just need Ricky Gervaise to make a homage to Space: 1999. (The Lunar Office?)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 October, 2017, 11:42:07 AM

Ah Bear, your Trek musings do make my mornings pass more easily.

What, even more than Alpen?

TordelBack

Even more so than prune juice, and that's a warrior's drink.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 October, 2017, 11:27:20 PM
THIS IS A STAR TREK THREAD NOW so Star Trek Continues has just dropped the first part of their two-part series finale, having been forced to curtail their efforts by CBS' fan movie rules, which they introduced to prevent stuff that was detrimental to the Trek brand like (checks CBS fan movie guidelines) spending too much money, using foul language, or portraying excessive violence or gore.

Just watched this yesterday. Champion. If Orville had looked like this, I'd have been well onboard.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

I believe the way Kirk pronounces "sabotage" in the opening minutes was a stretch goal at the crowdfunding stage.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 October, 2017, 12:47:24 PM
I believe the way Kirk pronounces "sabotage" in the opening minutes was a stretch goal at the crowdfunding stage.

Yeah. These guys are heroes from top to bottom.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Definitely Not Mister Pops

This show challenges me in ways TNG never did. It raises big questions. I don't doubt Beyonce's talent, but is her talent so enduring that we will still referernce her in the far future?
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

You may as well ask why are these shows set in a multi-species alliance all about humans and why are they speaking in English?  But I'll have a go...

Explanation why The Orville uses so many references relevant to 2017 #1:
We're still using references to the Roman Empire and Shakespeare in our everyday language, and then there's Jesus and co, and people still knowing who Laurel and Hardy or The Fonz are.  Even Star Trek uses 20th century references, and often goes back further than that - recall the Alice In Wonderland theme running through Discover right now, or that time TNG teamed up with Mark Twain and he said "HMPH I hardly think people will still be reading Mark Twain books in the 25th century."  It's possible the 20th/21st century will be just as huge a cultural touchstone for future centuries not just because this is when we started obsessively recording ourselves and crystallising our entire culture, but also because this is when our culture started truly feeding upon itself to the point there are kids under twenty who talk about G1 Transformers and disco music with passion, even though those things are specific to a bygone era.  It's entirely possible we're living through a time that will define some aspects of human culture for centuries, or at the very least will create cultural references that will endure.

Explanation why The Orville uses so many references relevant to 2017 #2:
It's made in 2017 by people living in 2017 for transmission in 2017 to viewers who live in 2017.

TordelBack

Individual players and specific 20th C/early 21st C baseball games are still venerated and argued about in TNG, Voyager and especially DS9.  19th and 20th C scenarios form the majority of all Holodeck programs.  Elon Musk got a nod in Discovery only the other week.  TOS Chekov is basically Paul. The Beastie Boys saved the Federation with their beats and shouting in the most recent movie. Why not BeyoncĂ©?  Whattsamatter Pops, too bootilicious for ya?   

Professor Bear

Pops is not ready for this jelly, that's what I think.

Professor Bear

We just get done defending the 21st century-centric popular culture stuff and then a "society analogous to 21st century Earth that runs on popular opinion" episode happens.  It even has a bit where people on tv take a consensus on what constitutes a scientific fact.  Hoh boy.

Despite my nagging doubts that this is a stupid idea for a story (and I still think this, as it's like something Sliders would have done), it's actually played out pretty well (apart from some excruciating chat show sequences with the show's painfully-unfunny navigator), taking the starting point of "absolute democracy" implemented through a binary upvote/downvote system via badges everyone is forced to wear.  It reminds me more of an episode of the 80s Twilight Zone or the 90s Outer Limits, and it's an interesting point for the show because it's now getting into territory where Star Trek would probably never venture - if only because we've never really seen any kind of social network on Trek that could be used to explore this kind of concept the way Orville does.
Can't say I was crazy about the episode, but I appreciate that it acknowledged the problems of any democratic system, especially the ending [spoiler]presenting a character with a seemingly binary choice between good or bad and instead choosing a third option that is always there [/spoiler]and that will no doubt leave the average Hillary Clinton cheerleader scratching their heads or screaming at their tv about how it was the wrong choice.

blackmocco

The good: Ratings are up. It's slowly getting itself an audience. Figure it'll get renewed at this rate.

The bad: it's too late to pick up and film the back nine episodes. Season 2's gonna be a while.

The ugly: absolutely everything about that episode. I'm so trying here, folks. I really, really am.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Professor Bear

Here we are waiting for this be cancelled and Fox can't even do that right.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 November, 2017, 06:40:51 PM
Here we are waiting for this be cancelled and Fox can't even do that right.

Despite not really liking it in any way, shape or form, I'm glad. If we can have 15,000 versions of NCIS and CSI, we can certainly have two Star Trek-ish shows.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com