Main Menu

Modem advice

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 07 January, 2013, 12:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Not much of a techie type myself so I'll just ask you folks - I'm looking for something that plugs into my netbook and acts as a portable wi-fi hotspot, which can be used abroad too.  I teach by Skype these days and quite fancy the idea of being able to travel around and do it.  It needs to have a fairly fast download / upload speed to overcome any Skype communication problems.
However, I have absolutely no idea what to look for.  Global portable modem? Satellite modem?  Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Banners

When you say "hotspot", I take it you're actually looking to get an internet connection to your laptop. A hotspot is usually defined as something which has a connection and which devices such as laptops and phones connect to, and you may have one already...

Do you have an internet-enabled smartphone? If so, that may be able to act as a hotspot which you can connect your laptop to via wifi or USB in a process known as tethering.

If your phone can't act as a hotspot you just need a USB mobile dongle to get online with. Here are some prices and more info. Check the data allowance is right for your needs. 1GB a month, for example, may not be enough for lots of Skype calls - so you may need an unlimited plan from 3.

If travelling abroad without access to decent wifi in hotels or cafés etc., consider getting a SIM from abroadband to help keeps costs under control as it will be likely cheaper than whatever deal you're on currently.

JayzusB.Christ

Thank you very much, Banners, you're a gent
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Banners on 07 January, 2013, 08:36:26 AM
1GB a month, for example, may not be enough for lots of Skype calls - so you may need an unlimited plan from 3.

I have the £15/15Gb dongle from 3 for when I'm away from home, and in the event of the house broadband going down, and it's not far short of being a solid replacement for Virgin's cable service, TBH.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks, Jim, I'll look into it. Much appreciated