Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I really enjoyed last night's episode. I love seeing these characters meet up after everything they've been through. There were so many great moments (and actually [spoiler]Arya's quickie before it kicks off didn't seem too odd to me)[/spoiler].
I can't believe it's going to be a case of Winterfell vs the dead and then the survivors all set off to King's Landing.
I have a feeling we'll see some surprises from Cersei's lot next week.[spoiler] Actually, I think the Golden Company will arrive to fight the white walker's despite Cersei. [/spoiler]
I don't care who dies[spoiler] as long as Bronn lives![/spoiler]

radiator

QuoteI don't care who dies [spoiler]as long as Bronn lives![/spoiler]

Less is more with that guy. He was great in seasons 1-3 but the last few seasons it really feels like they've had to contrive things for him to do. [spoiler]I prefer his storyline in the books where he doesn't play an active role in the story, but off-screen (off-page?) he is persistent thorn in Cerseis' side - including calling his newborn son Tyrion just to troll her.[/spoiler]

Another prediction for next week:

[spoiler]Melisandre is going to show up with R'hllor-follower reinforcements from Volantis.[/spoiler]

Funt Solo

++SPOILERS IN THE OPEN++

But wait - we need lists!  Who's currently holding Valyrian steel (and therefore has at least a chance not to get iced by a White Walker in single combat)?

Jon Snow - Longclaw
Brienne of Tarth - Oathkeeper
Jaime Lannister - Widow's Wail
Jorah Mormont - Heartsbane
Arya Stark - [Littlefinger's dagger]

That means that [spoiler]Theon's[/spoiler] probably had his chips as his plan is to lie in wait for the [spoiler]Knight's King[/spoiler]: armed only with his sense of utter loss.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: radiator on 22 April, 2019, 08:52:58 PM
Something I've been wondering in anticiaption for this season is whether the white walker threat will be dealt with a few episodes before the end, and the last few episodes will be the showdown with Cersei/Euron and the Golden Company. It wouldn't surprise me, but it would seem weirdly anticlimactic if they go that way with it.

++SPOILERS IN THE OPEN++

They laid it on pretty thick this episode that a bigger issue (even if the Cersei threat is eliminated) may be that Daenerys is ruthlessly power-hungry and sees everything in terms of her desire for the Iron Throne.  As Jon confides his heritage to the woman he's fallen in love with (his aunt), she only sees it in terms of a threat to her position.  As she points this out to him, he looks all confused like he never even thought of that aspect of things.

I like how this series is shifting the sands beneath the feet of several "heroes", to leave us wondering who deserves to live.  (See also: Tyrion's fallibility.  Arya's ruthlessness.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JamesC

Well they're making loads of Dragonglass weapons. I'm not sure what Valerian steel does that dragonglass doesn't. Has this been explained?

radiator

Quote from: JamesC on 23 April, 2019, 06:02:20 PM
Well they're making loads of Dragonglass weapons. I'm not sure what Valerian steel does that dragonglass doesn't. Has this been explained?

I always imagined dragonglass as something you could craft arrowheads and small daggers out of, whereas Valyrian steel can be used to forge larger weapons like swords (and even, in the books - an entire suit of armour, apparently).

However the show is showing them forging axes from dragonglass, so who knows?

radiator

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 April, 2019, 06:01:21 PM
Quote from: radiator on 22 April, 2019, 08:52:58 PM
Something I've been wondering in anticiaption for this season is whether the white walker threat will be dealt with a few episodes before the end, and the last few episodes will be the showdown with Cersei/Euron and the Golden Company. It wouldn't surprise me, but it would seem weirdly anticlimactic if they go that way with it.

++SPOILERS IN THE OPEN++

They laid it on pretty thick this episode that a bigger issue (even if the Cersei threat is eliminated) may be that Daenerys is ruthlessly power-hungry and sees everything in terms of her desire for the Iron Throne.  As Jon confides his heritage to the woman he's fallen in love with (his aunt), she only sees it in terms of a threat to her position.  As she points this out to him, he looks all confused like he never even thought of that aspect of things.

I like how this series is shifting the sands beneath the feet of several "heroes", to leave us wondering who deserves to live.  (See also: Tyrion's fallibility.  Arya's ruthlessness.)

I could be wrong, but I see all the bickering and jostling between Jon/Sansa/Arya/Dany/Tyrion as pretty hollow, and just there to provide a bit of interpersonal drama while we wait for the big battles. When the chips are down, I think they will all ultimately do the right thing.

It was the same thing with the rubbish Arya, Sansa and Littlefinger storyline last season - did anyone actually believe even for a second that Sansa would side with LF over her family?

Funt Solo

Quote from: JamesC on 23 April, 2019, 06:02:20 PM

I have no idea why I thought Dragonglass only killed wights - but I did.  I'm doomed in the battle to come.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Yeah, I had it in my head that Dragonglass worked on the undead and valetian steel on the White Walkers. But thinking back, Sam used Dragonglass dagger on the White walker he killed back in Season 2 (I think).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 April, 2019, 10:19:52 PM
It's like the fucking Mueller Report round here...!

I know which blond(e)-haired, power-hungry ruler I prefer thinking about.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 April, 2019, 11:47:37 PM

I also prefer Trump.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 April, 2019, 11:47:37 PM

Didn't you hear?  Joffrey's dead.

broodblik

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 April, 2019, 06:01:21 PM

++SPOILERS IN THE OPEN++

So it is possible that the Night King story all wraps in the next two episodes and the real battle can be between Snow and Daenerys. This might be an interesting twist  and quite possible route they might take.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 24 April, 2019, 01:43:00 AM
Didn't you hear?  Joffrey's dead.

[spoiler]FAKE NEWS! The failing Westerosi media continues to peddle this lie! So sad. LOSERS.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

I've enjoyed these two set-up episodes immensely.
The show runners know exactly what they're doing, racketing the tension up to boiling freezing point before the CGI goodness and decimation of the cast (no doubt including personal favorites Ser Davos and Ser Jorah).

My own pessimistic prediction for the finale; the Night King / White Walkers will win.
We'll be left with a "Dead World" scenario, with the victors returning to the ground once they've accomplished what they set out to do.

By the way - no mention of Kings Landing in episode 2?
Are they already under attack from a second front of the army of the dead?