Main Menu

Radical

Started by Banners, 26 August, 2004, 11:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Now, if only people like Ann Clywd could see that men like Rumsfeld are bad guys too. And they don't even have the tradition of being anti-Saddam.

That's kinda my point. Why not "the [insert adjective here] Prime Minister Tony Blair" or "the [insert adjective here] President George Bush".

Hmm, wonder what those adjectives would be... (and I don't just mean "British" and "American"...!)

M@

House of Usher

In answer to mbanners's original point, isn't being very traditional a bit radical for a cleric by today's standards? I don't remember David Jenkins, Bishop of Durham from 1984, ever being described as radical.

I mean, believing in God, promoting religious beliefs, adhering to scripture? Is that really the proper role for a cleric in this day and age? Sounds so radical to me it sounds positively dangerous.
STRIKE !!!

Wils

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/hamaliel/skateboard.jpg">

Demon Chicken

rad?i?cal
adj.

1. Arising from or going to a root or source; basic: proposed a radical solution to the problem.
   2. Departing markedly from the usual or customary; extreme: radical opinions on education.
   3. Favoring or effecting fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices, conditions, or institutions: radical political views.
   4. Linguistics. Of or being a root: a radical form.
   5. Botany. Arising from the root or its crown: radical leaves.
   6. Slang. Excellent; wonderful.

Meaning 1, basically to be radical is to go back to somethings roots.  So by saying he's radical means he believing waht his religions been saying for about two thousand years?  So how is his radicalness any different from "fundamentalist" christians radicalness.

As an aside fundamentalist christians are technically not radical as such, but that's a story for another day.

Mr C

Bwa-ha-ha!

That's great, Wils!

Queen Firey-Bou

interesting discussions chaps...

radical ? i wonder if the main media a thick sheep who copy each others funky catch phrases blindly   or do they cynically invent these adjectives like some promotional spin words/phrases in order to cement these foreign sounding names into the thick assed UK publics consiousness...  "oh thats the radical bloke"

i dunno, ive been away from tele for months & when i listen into news now, with fresh objective ears, i feel like i'm watching a propoganda piss take a la 'starship troopers' or such.

read the mail a couple times recently at work... seriously scared me lots more than the record or hello mag. creepy shit. not radical.