Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Finished Dragon Age Origins + Awakening.Good stuff.

GordyM

Finished the new Spidey game. Swinging and combat mechanics are great. Really good story too. Just a shame the creators felt the need to fill the map with weak challenges that you have to do to get some of the best gadgets and costumes.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Tiplodocus

Well, it's going to be a while before I pick Toad in Mario Kart.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

NapalmKev

Another World which is currently free on PS4. I'd forgotten how much of a hardcore deathfest this game is. The controls are a bit clunky but It's fun to play.

Doom. Again. I got the urge to kill demons again after seeing the trailer for Doom Eternal, which looks absolutely mental. Going for a 100% play through. I will attain a second Platinum trophy for my collection*

Cheers

*Resident evil 7 is the only platinum trophy I've managed to get. Pffft, call myself a gamer?
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

wedgeski

Currently addicted to Sky Force Reloaded on the Switch. Shmups might be the only genre I ever play on that device, but god it's perfect for them.

Smith

GTA 4.For a while I thought I was bad at this,but I see everyone had a problem with PC controls.And PC version in general.

Keef Monkey

Blasted through Split/Second and found it really fun. I don't often get hooked on racing games (I say that every time I get hooked on a racing game!) but this is exactly the kind of racing game that grabs me. A good arcadey Burnouty smashy explodey takedown-fest, with a great sense of speed and some impressively massive destructive explosions.

A shame it didn't do well enough to get a sequel because it's possibly the only racing game I've ever played that ends on an actual cliffhanger, so that TO BE CONTINUED! is a bit annoying playing it now!

Mardroid

God of War.

Good game, so far. Graphics are amazing*, and controls are pretty intuitive and not overly complex.

Already a bit stuck early on, though. I was proud to defeat that huge troll, earlier (took ages) and then an icey bloke with my bare hands** but now there's a cheeky feisty guy (simple called 'the stranger'. I suspect he's one of the Aesir. ), zipping around at super speed and generally handing me my bottom.

No doubt the big clue how to defeat him is to block, block and block again, but he's really difficult! I'm really not used to gaming, so I'm decidedly rubbish, but I think I'll stick with it.

*I only bought my PS4 pro around 4 weeks ago, but I haven't played on it that much. I did play Rogue Trooper redux (still an excellent game) and Shadows of Mordor. I was a bit disappointed with the graphics of each. They're not bad, but I couldn't really tell much difference to my PS3. (Granted if I played on both consoles side by side and compared I'd probably tell the difference.)

God of War though. Oh my. I figured after the introductory bit the graphics would deteriorate as amimation graphics tend to be far better than game graphics on most systems, then realised the graphics looked exactly the same and I was instructed to swing my axe!

*to be fair the little rascal with the bow helped.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 September, 2018, 03:04:03 PM
Blasted through Split/Second and found it really fun. I don't often get hooked on racing games (I say that every time I get hooked on a racing game!) but this is exactly the kind of racing game that grabs me. A good arcadey Burnouty smashy explodey takedown-fest, with a great sense of speed and some impressively massive destructive explosions.

A shame it didn't do well enough to get a sequel because it's possibly the only racing game I've ever played that ends on an actual cliffhanger, so that TO BE CONTINUED! is a bit annoying playing it now!

Such a good game. That and Blur came out the same week and were awesome, but they flopped. Maybe if they hadn't released the same week, the apparently small audience for these type of games wouldn't have had to choose, and they would've sold better. Not only did neither get a sequel, but both developers Black Rock and Bizarre were shut down on the back of these two great games :(

Keef Monkey

Ah damn, that's sad to hear. Didn't realize it had flopped hard enough to kill the studio. Genuinely one of the most thrilling racing games I've played, and the reality show thing was a cool hook that they could have done loads more with if they'd kept it going.

Seems like a similar downturn in racing games is happening now actually, with Onrush tanking I've seen a few articles suggesting that unless you're one of the big name franchises (NFS/Forza...I can't actually think of any more!) then you just won't get enough of a cut of the audience to be a success. A real shame.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: wedgeski on 20 September, 2018, 09:21:35 AM
Currently addicted to Sky Force Reloaded on the Switch. Shmups might be the only genre I ever play on that device, but god it's perfect for them.

Do you use a control pad? Only way to play some games I think. GTAIV particularly.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 September, 2018, 09:57:33 AM
Seems like a similar downturn in racing games is happening now actually, with Onrush tanking I've seen a few articles suggesting that unless you're one of the big name franchises (NFS/Forza...I can't actually think of any more!) then you just won't get enough of a cut of the audience to be a success. A real shame.

Yeah I definitely think there's some truth to that and has been for a while. I don't think people buy that many racing games in a year and when they do, like you say it's probably going to be Forza, Forza Horizon, Gran Turismo, NFS, The Crew or the excellent kart racers by Sega and Nintendo. So it's saturated, and by big players.

Onrush is a weird one though, it wasn't quite a racing game at its core (perhaps even more niche!), and I don't think it holds a candle to Split/Second or Blur. It got quite a lot of bad word of mouth from it's pre-release beta too I think.

wedgeski

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 September, 2018, 11:12:28 AM

Do you use a control pad? Only way to play some games I think. GTAIV particularly.
The Switch is basically a giant gamepad, so yeah. :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Loved this until it became stupidly hard. Then my 10 year old brain kicked in and I learned those patterns.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Just finished Shadow of The Tomb Raider, which was great in places but overall didn't really hang together as well as Rise.

The tombs are probably my favourites of the reboot series, and they've really cut back on combat to focus more on stealth and puzzling which is a move I really liked. It didn't really execute on its story as well as it could have though, and the side quests/collectibles didn't feel as satisfying. I got really burnt out on those part way through after really struggling to find the path to a couple of them, so then just blasted through the story and had a much better time. It does end with a really, really bad boss fight though, which is shame because my last impression of it putting the controller down was of annoyance, when I'd enjoyed everything else up to that point! Nice use of Atmos sound for the jungle ambience, which barely any games are mixing for at the moment so that was a nice touch.

Finished on about 87% completion so it's tempting to go back and grab what I missed, although a guide might be necessary for the couple that broke me! A New Game + playthrough on Hard is probably on the cards at some point too.

So really good I guess, but just frustratingly short of the greatness of the last couple of Tomb Raiders.