Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Be nice if this got picked up - not least as its production model seems to be akin to the idea behind the Dredd TV show.

Personally its an okay watch but marred by terrible acting from too many key characters (no more than 'Gunnie' (sic) who is just awfully unconvincing. The lead guy isn't much better. Was a shame when the detective left the show (no spoilers - but I assume that was the end of him early in season 2) as he was easily the most watchable thing. Production was great - the Earth Councillor's outfit were always fabulous looking affairs and the B cast did decent work. 
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Theblazeuk

Well my post went awry but all it amounted to was 'Well that's a shame'. Was nice for Syfy to make decent sci-fi for a bit.

JOE SOAP

'The Expense' 'The Expanse': Amazon In Talks To Pick Up Space Series After Syfy Cancellation

There is hope forThe Expanse beyond its upcoming third season, which will be the sci-fi drama's last one on Syfy. I hear Alcon Television Group, which fully finances and produces The Expanse, is in conversations with Amazon about picking up the critically praised series for Season 4. Sources stress the talks are still preliminary. Reps for both companies declined comment.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-amazon-talks-pick-up-season-4-canceled-syfy-1202395538/

IndigoPrime

Smart move from Amazon, who could do with a few more critically acclaimed shows. I'm surprised Netflix didn't jump at this one though.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 May, 2018, 10:17:52 AM
Smart move from Amazon, who could do with a few more critically acclaimed shows. I'm surprised Netflix didn't jump at this one though.

I believe Amazon already had the streaming rights, which would have made it difficult for another online service to pick it up.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

The first two seasons are on Netflix as well as Amazon Prime. Perhaps the deal meant Amazon got first dibs – or it just jumped in before Netflix did.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 May, 2018, 10:52:52 AM
The first two seasons are on Netflix as well as Amazon Prime. Perhaps the deal meant Amazon got first dibs – or it just jumped in before Netflix did.

Netflix have international streaming rights, Amazon have US domestic, which is likely a determining factor.

radiator

The show never really grabbed me - perhaps I'll give it another go at some point - but good news for fans - it's officially been picked up by Amazon.

Keef Monkey

Ah, nobody has talked about this for a while and I'm sure everyone had given up hope like me but finally there's a date for season 3 coming on Amazon Prime! Seasons 1-3 being added February 8th, with the new Amazon-produced season 4 coming later in the year.

Feels like it's been a ridiculous wait to get season 3 here in the UK, so I'm really buzzed about jumping back in.

JamesC

I tried watching this and really wanted to like it but it was so dark, I couldn't see what was happening and everyone mumbled so I couldn't hear what they were saying. It was like trying to watch a badly pirated VHS.

broodblik

I watched it on Blu-Ray and the quality and production value was excellent. This is one off the best sci-fi shows the last few years.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 03 February, 2019, 09:33:31 AM
I tried watching this and really wanted to like it but it was so dark, I couldn't see what was happening and everyone mumbled so I couldn't hear what they were saying. It was like trying to watch a badly pirated VHS.

Given that literally no one else here has reported having this problem, have you considered the possibility that you actually do have a dodgy copy and/or that your eyes and ears are knackered?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 February, 2019, 10:07:08 AM

...  and/or that your eyes and ears are knackered?

Not just eyes and ears in my case ....

[my copy was fine though, as was watching it on an iPad when it was on Netflix]

Mardroid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 February, 2019, 10:07:08 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 03 February, 2019, 09:33:31 AM

Given that literally no one else here has reported having this problem, have you considered the possibility that you actually do have a dodgy copy and/or that your eyes and ears are knackered?
Or a general settings issue?

I find dark things a bit difficult to make out on my tv, although I can't remember if that was an issue with the Expanse. As I have this with various films/programmes I'm certain it's my settings though. Or films are generally too badly lit nowadays.

I have attempted to sort it out, but it's surprisingly difficult to get things right, not the actual altering itself which is just sliding bars about, but getting it to look right is another thing.

Not helped by the TV in my room behind a touch too small for the distance from my peepers. Heh.

JamesC

It's very probably to do with my eyes not being great. I have this problem a fair bit. On computer games, for example, I always have to have the saturation turned up much higher than the advised 'adjust the sliders until the logo is barely visible'. If I do that and then go into a cave or something, I literally can't see anything, so I have to set it much brighter.
The mumbling is something else I often have trouble with. I've recently bought a soundbase for my TV which certainly helps. I have the 'clear voice' option on the highest setting which is really good - there are still some shows and films I struggle with though.

I'm sure The Expanse is excellent and I'm sure the moody lighting and low drawly accents are all part of the noir aesthetic but it doesn't help if your senses aren't particularly acute. If I watched the show in a pitch black room with the volume wacked up it would probably be fine, but that's just not the reality of how TV viewing happens in my house.