Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 21/5/05, EPISODE 9, THE EMPTY CHILD...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 21 May, 2005, 12:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

ukdane

I'm going to start this thread, as I know more and more people will see this film, and will want to talk about it, without worrying as to whether something is a spoiler or not.

I'll start by listing the 3 scenes that I can remeber from the comic that weren't in the film- for those that haven't read it...

1) After Palpatine appoints Anakin to be his representative on the Jedi Council, there is a scene with Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Padm?, basically it's the birth of the rebel alliance- and a scene which I'd imagine fans would have wanted to see. (Episode 2 of the comic adaptation)

2) I can't recall if this scene was in the film or not, it's minor, and not necessary, and there is another scene later, which resembles it (part 4 of the comic book).... After Palpetine tells Anakin the story about Darth Plagueis, Obi-Wan visits Padm? and talks to her about Anakin loving her- in the film (and comic) Anakin later refers to this, after his second flash/dream- when he senses Obi-wan had been in her appartment. (Episode 2 of the comic adaptation)

3) After Palpetine finds Vader's body on Mustafa, There is a scene with Yoda, where he talks to Qui-gon, they are talking about learning Eternal Life, (and basically resolves the Qui-gon death, and the ghosts of Obi, Yoda, and Anakin in the next 3 films). It ties up a thread, so I'm surprised it wasn't included, as it is mentioned by Yoda, in the film, when he talks to Obi-wan after they decide to spilt up the twins. After Yoda finishes talking to him, Bail Organa tells Yoda, that Obi-wan has made contact- which is in the film.(Episode 4 of the comic adaptation)

On the other thread, I mentioned that I expect these scenes to be included in a DVD, and whilst I still hope that they are, I have read on another site, that it is unlikely the Qui-gon scene will appear. Shame!

Anyone know of any film Easter Eggs?

I know there's a Millenium Falcon in the film, and saw it too.

I know that George Lucas appears with his two daughters in the film (but didn't see it)

There is some debate as to whether Padm? at some point shouts "Hayden" instead of "Anakin", as a homage to the Leia/Luke/Mark shout from the first trilogy. (didn't hear it)

Was Boba Fett in the film? What happened to Mon Mothma- anyone see her- or was she just in the cut scene?
Cheers

-Daney

paulvonscott

It looked good from the advert, but I'm hoping it's not another episode of the budget Buffy the Vampire Slayer Doctor Who we've come to know and watch.  Terrible pessimism sinking into me on the matter I'm afraid.  It's starting to remind me of a cross between BUGS and crime traveller.

I'm now waiting for the last two episodes and the new series to kick start my enthusiasm.

Noisybast

"Terrible pessimism sinking into me on the matter I'm afraid."

That doesn't sound like you, PVS... ;)
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Artificial Idiot

I saw the trailer for this (or bits of it) awhile ago, and I'm really excited! It looks fantastic, even though it does sem slightly simular to the Victorian era one on face value...

Byron Virgo

Is it just me, or have all the episodes so far revolved around the planet Earth? I thought that TARDIS stood for Time and Relative Dimension in Space, not just buggering about in the one place.

Adrian Bamforth

Tonight's episode is written by Steven Moffat of TV's Press Gang, Chalk and Coupling.

ADEhttp://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00009PA4Z.02._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg">

The Amstor Computer

"Is it just me, or have all the episodes so far revolved around the planet Earth?"

Nope, it's not just you. They've all been set on or around Earth:

Rose - present-day London
The End of the World - aboard a far-future viewing platform orbiting Earth
The Unquiet Dead - 19th century Cardiff
Aliens of London / World War Three - near-future London
Dalek - near-future America
The Long Game - aboard a far-future TV station orbiting Earth
Father's Day - 80s London
The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances - 1940s London

***SPOILER SPACE***

Boom Town - near-future Cardiff, apparently
Bad Wolf - near-future / present-day Earth
The Parting of the Ways - unknown, but as it's a two-parter with "Bad Wolf", probably Earth as well.

Although there have been seasons before that were largely Earth-bound, they at least came up with a good reason for it (Pertwee's Doctor being exiled to Earth, for example). I hope the Christmas special and the second series take the show to some more novel places, especially as the technology is now available to make jaunts to other worlds more convincing.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, but I am sharing some of Paul's concerns. Hopefully this Steven Moffat two-parter will lift the current series back to the heights of "Dalek" and "The Unquiet Dead" and keep it there.

Adrian Bamforth

Haven't been watching avidly but I'm sure there's been times when The Doctor has refered to Earth as an unimportant 'God-forsaken rock', which makes me like his character less since it's somewhat disrespectful to Rose though also inconsistent since he's barely ever off the planet what with all the episodes on Earth plus all his earlier sightseeing and love of the works of Dickens etc.

ADE

Byron Virgo

Where's all the stuff of his childlike wonder at the mysteries of the universe?

I don't want to see some grumpy sod in a leather jacket wander round Cardiff and London interminably! At least make it beyond the moon.

The Amstor Computer

Ade --

He's also referred to Rose (and other humans?) as "stupid apes", or something similar, hasn't he? As has been mentioned before, there seems to be a far harsher, more violent edge to this Doctor that really wasn't quite so pronounced in earlier incarnations.

Leigh S

I'm still liking the new series - the only major bug bear I have had is with the Dalek one, which didnt work once I'd tried and failed to rationalise the dna pinching ability of the Dalek.  I didnt mind the "sentimental" stuff in Fathers Day, cos thats what it was about - Dalek on the other hand was one episode that we didnt really need to see buffyed up.

Roger Godpleton

Yeah, that's what I thought, surely Davros would of realised that there would be the possibility of Daleks absorbing emotions.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

opaque

Theres always the point that he's lying and that Earth is vital to the whole universe.
Why has the Doctor continually come back here in past incarnations? (of course we don't know what else he and the other time lords have done in the past).

I know the bit about the couple meeting outside a club from last weeks story sounded more like the fact that we are living random lives but then the whoisdoctorwho website said they moved away, or something. Whats going on there?

Or maybe he just fancies humans?

Artificial Idiot

I think it's pretty obvious... What better way to pull than to take the woman of your dreams to her planets past, present... And to watch her dad die! I'm sure any self-respecting woman would take that over day tripping to Saturn, or some place they can't even prononce let alone have heard of!