Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Rog69 on 16 January, 2010, 08:07:09 PM
I just walked up to the local shop (instead of driving because I need the exercise) and I got all the way to the counter with my milk when I realised I had left my wallet at home. I walked home and drove back to the shop and got my milk and then ripped my new jeans getting back into the car.

There's a moral there somewhere...

House of Usher

Lark Rise to Candleford is on. My partner just informed me that Judi Dench isn't in it, and that Cranford and Lark Rise to Candleford are two different programmes. I'm now confused, because I don't know what I've watched and what I haven't, and what is the necessity for both programmes to be made by the BBC.

She has reminded me that it was my bloody choice to watch the damn things anyway, having avoided both (like the plague) up until December 2009.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 17 January, 2010, 08:06:51 PM
My partner just informed me that Judi Dench isn't in it, and that Cranford and Lark Rise to Candleford are two different programmes.

That's quite funny.  We just caught the beginning of tonight's episode, and I said to the wife, "Wife", I said, "It's a pity we haven't been watching this, I think it's got Judi Dench and Imelda Staunton in it, and they're always good".  After 10 minutes of sweating postmen and a lot of talk about a Bishop, we put a House DVD in instead.  At least I know Hugh Laurie's in that.

House of Usher

In our house it went off at ten past eight because we realized it wasn't the good one, and that finished at Christmas.
STRIKE !!!

Jim_Campbell

Dear Sir or Madam*,

*What do you mean "madam"?
Oh, I'm sorry, I have a cold.

I wish to protest in the strongest possible terms about your irresponsible claim, which I reproduce below:

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 January, 2010, 08:45:36 PM
we put a House DVD in instead.  At least I know Hugh Laurie's in that.

On the basis of said recommendation, I purchased the following DVD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/House-DVD/dp/B000CEGU0S/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263761508&sr=8-22

Imagine my dismay upon discovering that Mr Laurie does not -- as you CLAIM -- appear in this motion picture at all. Nor did he direct or write said piece of cinematic expression. Nor did he even compose the soundtrack. In fact, I believe that it is safe to say that Mr Hugh Laurie is IN NO WAY involved with this filmic diversion.

I await your proposed remedy in response to this catastrophic piece of misinformation perpetrated by you in respect of this matter.

Yours, &c

Outraged of Nottingham
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: House of Usher on 17 January, 2010, 08:06:51 PM
Lark Rise to Candleford is on. My partner just informed me that Judi Dench isn't in it, and that Cranford and Lark Rise to Candleford are two different programmes. I'm now confused, because I don't know what I've watched and what I haven't, and what is the necessity for both programmes to be made by the BBC.

Well there's only ever been seven episodes of Cranford, and that's including the two just shown at Christmas.
@jamesfeistdraws

House of Usher

Yes. I make that seven in all. I thought there was a chance Lark Rise to Candleford might be any good, but it wasn't.
STRIKE !!!

SmallBlueThing

CF: I absolutely agree. As you may know, I work with adults with disabilities, and it pisses me off no end to see non-blue-badgers in blue-badger bays.

Though that said, I do now see you gesticulating wildly as he drove, turning to the massed onlookers and shouting "I AM the LAW!!", then arresting them for peeping.

Jim: You've made me want to watch House agan. The proper House, not that tv thing with Hugh Laurie. The bit when he's killed the Miss Ashby monster (All Saints Junior School injoke there- the prosthetic woman who looks a bit like Aughura from the Dark Crystal) and starts to bury the bits, and the music kicks in- that's one of my defining cinema memories from the mid eighties, that is. Love it. Though House II is better, madder, funnier, and has a man falling over a bush, who looks EXACTLY like my firend Chris (who has been known from that very moment til this very day as "Chris Bushman"). Why is it nearly £30 though on Amazon? Surely it's about a pound isn't it by now?

Generally: I had no idea Cranford and Lark Rise to Candleford were different shows! How odd, you do indeed learn something new every day.

SBT

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Rog69

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 17 January, 2010, 04:03:34 PMThere's a moral there somewhere...

Yes, it's don't buy £6 jeans from Asda.

I love Lark rise to Cranford, I've never watched a minute of it but the wife goes nuts for anything like that so I get a guaranteed hour of quality time with my PC or whatever :)

Richmond Clements

Funnily enough, last night was the first time I saw any of this Candleford/Carnford thing- and 10 minutes of Brian from Spaced going on about a Bishop was enough for me.
I played Lego Indiana Jones instead.

Bolt-01

When you should have been toning that strip instead.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 January, 2010, 11:54:43 AM
When you should have been toning that strip instead.

I would have- but Bou was creating another masterpiece at the time...

SmallBlueThing

Thanks entirely to this thread, I just bought House in a shop in Hastings. For, as I predicted, a pound. However, the "minor impediment" is that they also had the new Friday the 13th- which I've seen and wasn't impressed with, also for a pound. So I bought that too. So I spent two pounds, when I could have only spent one.

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 January, 2010, 02:54:44 PM
I bought that too. So I spent two pounds, when I could have only spent one.

You flash bugger ;)