Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Read Confederacy of Dunces for the first time which is great and also horribly depressing.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kerrin

That's one of those ones I'm definitely going back to...one day. I've been reading "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson, again. Also "The Goon" vol.7 and I just got the third of the "Aldebaran" series by Leo from Cinebook.

If you haven't read them Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars Trilogy",red green and blue, are a fantastic tale of the colonisation of the red planet.

locustsofdeath!

I agree Kerrin, although the books to tend to go through some serious dry spots. A fantastic trilogy indeed, and they sit upon the shelf regulated to my favorite sci-fi. Still, as wonderful as the three of them are, combined they aren't a patch on Dune!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 14 July, 2009, 06:17:34 PM
Read Confederacy of Dunces for the first time which is great and also horribly depressing.

Good grief Roger Godpleton is that you. All this modifying of avatars is making it difficult to spot people. What fun!

Roger Godpleton

Yeah, it's Synnamon. I'm being "postmodern" and shit.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

Re-reading Name of the Rose, and frankly I'm not finding it the mind-bending experience I did all those years ago.  Is it me, or is Umberto Eco just a little bit full of stomm?  

When I read this first, I saw it as an eye-opening exercise in semiotics and hermeneutics, with a clever and colourful narrative and setting to pull the reader along.  Now it feels like a Sherlock Holmes Elseworlds.:   William of Baskerville, a tall skinny hook-nosed drug-addicted master of deductive detection, called in to investigate a locked-room mystery uncovers a labyrinthine conspiracy.   Maybe I've grown thicker with age, or maybe post-modernism is the preserve of the young and forgiving (see above).  I'll persist.

mygrimmbrother

Bolt-01

About 2/3rds of the way through the Talisman by King & Straub. As much as I'm enjoying it (Not read it for many years) it hasn't aged well for me.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 July, 2009, 01:20:52 PM
Re-reading Name of the Rose, and frankly I'm not finding it the mind-bending experience I did all those years ago.  Is it me, or is Umberto Eco just a little bit full of stomm?  

When I read this first, I saw it as an eye-opening exercise in semiotics and hermeneutics, with a clever and colourful narrative and setting to pull the reader along.  Now it feels like a Sherlock Holmes Elseworlds[/i.
Can it be both and can he be full of stomm and still good? I haven't read if for a while, but I've always thought it manages to integrate the two sides in a way that nothing else of his that I've read (not that much, tbh) has. Foucault's Pendulum is tedious pish though: sort of like Illuminatus without the jokes.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Quote from: worldshown on 14 July, 2009, 12:30:49 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2009, 12:13:15 PM

I then read a Manga called 'Monster' by Kurosawa.

Is that the one with the Japanese surgeon in Germany and set in the late 80s? If so then I have seen some of the anime of it.

That's the one.

Grant Goggans

I just finished About Time 3 and the fourth Moomin book, and I'm working on Lester Bangs' Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung, Yoshihiro Tatsumi's A Drifting Life and Matt Fraction and Gabriel Ba's Casanova.  And prog 1635.

TordelBack

QuoteCan it be both and can he be full of stomm and still good?

Mmmm.   I'm a bit further in now, and I'm enjoying it a lot more.  Oddly, it's the insanely enormous descriptive lists (every figure in an ornately carved doorway or manuscript margin described in detail, every herb and its effects both in moderation and in excess) that I'm finding most fun - very Neal Stephenson (as I'm sure Eco would hate to hear).  I really enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum when I read it, but that was nearly 20 years ago and I may now be viewing its memory overly positively because of comparison with its runtish bastardised offspring The Da Vinci Cock. 

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: House of Usher on 03 July, 2009, 01:07:54 AM
I'm reading Larry Marder's Tales of the Beanworld from 1987+, reprinted in hardback as vol.1: 'Wahoolazuma'.

Well just finished reading the whole thing (all 21 issues and the recent X-Mas special) and have to say its brillant. If anybodies tempted and they should be, the second hardcover (after the one House Of read) is out now I think and this completes the original run AND THEN and this one has me very excited. There's a new original 216 page graphic novel out in November. WAYHEY!!!!!!

Mikey

Recently finished Anathem by Neal Stevenson - top banana as per usual.

And just read vol.1 of Moore,Bissette & Totlenbom's Swamp Thing (starts at issue 12?) and it's absolute aces. I'm sure a lot of you have already read the bugger,but it takes me a while to get 'round to these things sometimes.The only very minor quibble I have is that I would really like to see the sublime artwork in monochrome - the colouring is excellent but almost too simplistic sometimes IMO.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.