Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Just finished Terry Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment. Might read Nation next.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Daveycandlish

Just finished reading The Black Butterfly by Mark Gatiss - the latest Lucifer Box novel in paperback. Bloody brilliant! If you haven't read previous Lucifer Box books, don't worry, it's not necessary as this stands on its own as a pastiche of the James Bond novels. I mean, how can you not like a story that includes a femme fatalle and her henchman called Victoria Wine and Oddbins, a half-Turk half-Geordie called Whitley Bey and an evil organisation called A.C.R.O.N.I.M??!!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Noisybast on 15 October, 2009, 08:55:06 AM
Just finished Terry Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment. Might read Nation next.

You could certainly do a lot worse. I was a bit wary of this one since it was his first non Disc book in an awfully long time but to be honest, it's excellent. Quite dark in places but it has a lot to say about faith and predestination or lack thereof. Is predestination a word? If it is did I use it correctly? Anyway, a very good read, as is par for the course with Pratchett.

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 17 October, 2009, 04:29:15 PM
how can you not like a story that includes a femme fatalle and her henchman called Victoria Wine and Oddbins, a half-Turk half-Geordie called Whitley Bey and an evil organisation called A.C.R.O.N.I.M??!!

That sounds awesome. I'v been completely oblivious to Gatiss having a series on the go. How many are there? Shouldn't tempt myself though cos I still have about 8 Horus books, 3 or possibly 4 Felix Castors and a big pile of Tempe Brennans to catch up on. Thats after I finish Bloodline which I'm finally getting stuck into properly and the book I've just picked up about The Wire.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

Almost done with Gravity's Rainbow.

On hols I read Born Again & Electra: Assassin back to back. They are great comics.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 17 October, 2009, 08:40:25 PM
On hols I read Born Again & Electra: Assassin back to back. They are great comics.

They are indeed. I might not be a fan of his later work but in his day Miller was great.

amberkraken

This is a huge thread to wade through it all, but comics I'm reading at the mo

Chew - this is amazing and would've fit well in 2000AD. It's a detective that gets readings from eating stuff, so has to eat victims to find out what happened!

Ink - This is a final crisis spin-off, but I don't know what final crisis was (not really a DC fan) picked up the 1st issue because of the artwork. I've been completely blown over by it.

Leah Moore & John Reppion's Holmes - pick this up when it goes collected if you haven't read it! it was really fucking good.

Adaptions of 'Ender's Game/Shadow' and 'Do android's dream...' books I never got round to reading but am enjoying them very much, can't compare to originals though.

North 40 - Cthulu with rednecks! a good start so far.

Kevin Smith and Grant Morrison's Batman - both have started well, with Grant being a lot better.

Darkest Night - Hmm, I did say I didn't really like DC, but there's quite a bit I'm picking up. This is really good too, not bothering with the endless extras, just the main one.

Sweet Tooth - only a couple of issues in, not too much happend yet, bnut looking very promising.

IAMTHESYSTEM

That Dan Abnett-LEGION.(Horus Herersy)
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Daveycandlish

Quotehow can you not like a story that includes a femme fatalle and her henchman called Victoria Wine and Oddbins, a half-Turk half-Geordie called Whitley Bey and an evil organisation called A.C.R.O.N.I.M??!!

That sounds awesome. I'v been completely oblivious to Gatiss having a series on the go. How many are there?

He's done three; The Vesuvius Club, an Oscar Wilde/Sherlock Holmes late Victorian-type affair, The Devils' Amber a Richard Hannay/Boys' Own 1920's jaunt, and then this one, The Black Butterfly, all starring Lucifer Box. And I recommend them all!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

starscape

Comicswise, just read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century 1910.  Boy that was a poor comic.  Very disappointing.

Bookswise, read the latest Thomas Covenant 'Runes of the Earth'.  I'd heard bad things about it but I really enjoyed it.  As good as any of his other Covenant books (which are tremendous).

In fact, I was so impressed I've been hunting for some more of similar quality but ended up re-reading a bunch of Moorcock, with some Tarzan thrown in.  Can't stand the likes of Robert(?) Jordan or David Eddings-type where it's straight fantasy without the emotion but if anyone's got any other suggestions (Gene Wolfe would be another favourite), let me know.

Chris

Tjm86

currently savouring Pratchett's Unseen Academicals.  This man is getting scary in his social commentary now.  Humour not as sharp as it once was but much more incisive.

Kerrin

I'm reading that at the moment as well TJM. Finding it quite enjoyable.

Quote from: superherostore.co.uk on 18 October, 2009, 09:38:48 PM
In fact, I was so impressed I've been hunting for some more of similar quality but ended up re-reading a bunch of Moorcock, with some Tarzan thrown in.  Can't stand the likes of Robert(?) Jordan or David Eddings-type where it's straight fantasy without the emotion but if anyone's got any other suggestions (Gene Wolfe would be another favourite), let me know.

I'm a big Gene Wolfe fan as well Chris, I'm just contemplating a reread all the way through The Book of the New Sun, Long Sun and Short Sun.

Have you tried Joe Abercrombie's stuff? Very enjoyable, start with The Blade Itself. Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, and, The Red Seas, are a good romp too.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 17 October, 2009, 08:40:25 PM
Coincidentally, I bought Batman:Year One last week. It was good (even better the second time when I discovered some extra pages which had been mysteriously stuck together before) but it was no Born Again.

I was pretty surprised to learn it was originally published in the normal Batman monthly. I'd always assumed it was a DKR style mini-series.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

20 pages of Gravity's Rainbow left. I'm looking forward to reading it a second time in a better position to see it as a single narrative rather then as a series of vignettes. For this reason I prefer the shorter Pynchon novels and it's not just because I'm thick so fuck you. You read Terry Pratchett which makes your opinion on anything at all completely invalid in any case.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 19 October, 2009, 11:20:41 PM
You read Terry Pratchett which makes your opinion on anything at all completely invalid in any case.

No love for Pratchett Roger? Say it aint so.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

starscape

Quote from: Kerrin on 19 October, 2009, 06:45:21 PM
Have you tried Joe Abercrombie's stuff? Very enjoyable, start with The Blade Itself. Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, and, The Red Seas, are a good romp too.
Judging by the reviews on Amazon, The Blade Itself might be worth seeking out.

Thanks,

Chris