Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

Got the Image comics Chew first tpb (#1-#6)  great art, excellent story and can't wait to see what's going on with the [spoiler]vampires?!![/spoiler]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Paul faplad Finch

I've got four on the go right now, as per.

Duma Key, which I've been intending to read for months but never got around to. Glad I finally did though cos it's got me absolutely hooked already and I've barely scratcjed the surface.

Droid files 1. You don't need me to tell you how good this one is.I'm spinning it out, determined to make it last. Last few of these phonebooks have been gone in a flash and I'm kicking myself for the long waits.

Lucifer : Evensong. Don't want this one to end either. One of my favourite comic series since I launched myself into US comics a couple of years ago. Will probably read it again now in it's entirety. Really hoping Carey can pull off something half as good with Unwritten.

Carey again with Dead Mens Boots. Felix Castor no.3 and the character has really won me over. I'm really hoping that this series runs and runs.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Bolt-01

Just over half way through Neil Gaiman's Graveyard book- which I'm enjoying loads.

Dandontdare

I'm in the middle of Bryan Talbot's Alice in Sunderland. It's all very intersting and I love the different styles, but it feels just a litle bit too ... educational, if you know what I mean.

Mikey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2010, 12:29:35 PM
but it feels just a litle bit too ... educational, if you know what I mean.

I can see where you're coming from, but I just ran with the whole thing, pored over nearly every page and was at turns surprised, fascinated and thoroughly entertained. It was right up my street - but I'm sort of familiar with the area he's talking about and already had an intetrest in some of the stuff he covers, so maybe that made a difference. You're going to tell me you're from Sunderland now aren't you?  ::)

I also seen it as a less overtly/possibly mystical Moore take on the resonance of place and history and their interactions.

I'm reading 'The Death of Bunny Monroe' at the minute, which is maybe off topic for these parts. It's vile, funny, horrific and tragic with occasional flashes of virtue. Yes, just like the Bad Seeds!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Alski

just read the first Mouse Guard book - i like it.

Also Mark Evaniers biog of Jack kirby. A very good, interesting read. It's in large format with loads of cool pix as well.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Albion

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2010, 12:29:35 PM
I'm in the middle of Bryan Talbot's Alice in Sunderland. It's all very intersting and I love the different styles, but it feels just a litle bit too ... educational, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. I got to a point with it where I though it was getting a bit bogged down by facts but I stuck with it and loved it. An amazing book.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: faplad on 14 March, 2010, 11:36:51 PM
Duma Key, which I've been intending to read for months but never got around to. Glad I finally did though cos it's got me absolutely hooked already and I've barely scratcjed the surface.

Yep, I agree. I'm reading it at the minute, as well. It's King at his best - both the characters and story are really grabbing me.

Albion

Quote from: Mikey on 15 March, 2010, 03:27:04 PMI'm reading 'The Death of Bunny Monroe' at the minute, which is maybe off topic for these parts. It's vile, funny, horrific and tragic with occasional flashes of virtue. Yes, just like the Bad Seeds!

I read Bunny soon after it came out. I enjoyed it a lot, not a perfect book but a good read. I thought And the ass saw the angel was better but it's a very different book to that. It was a bit weird reading about places I know of in the story as I am from Sussex and Nick Cave lives in Hove and set it around local areas. I'm a huge fan of Nick Cave.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Mikey

Quote from: albion83uk on 15 March, 2010, 09:58:00 PMI thought And the ass saw the angel was better but it's a very different book to that.

Agreed - I haven't finished Bunny Munroe yet, but in relation to the music, I would say it's more Grinderman than Bad Seeds - not a bad thing at all IMO of course, but a different set of parameters.

M.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Emperor on 09 March, 2010, 01:24:10 AM
Quote from: Kerrin on 08 March, 2010, 09:42:54 PM
If you're reading 'Revelation Space' for the first time you're in for a treat Cosh.
I feel joy and pity for him, pity only because he is now going to have to keep reading the rest of the books until, one day, he finds he has enough bricks of books to build a kennel.
Hmm. Can't say I was overly impressed. It was a reasonably entertaining pageturner but nothing spectacular and far too long. I'd get another one out of the library, but I wouldn't order it specially.

Just finished the first double-length collection of Ex Machina. An interesting premise and pretty good so far, but (didn't this come up before about Dredd trades) it really, really annoys me that the book doesn't have breaks between the individual episodes. It's not hard to tell where they are, but surely the least you could expect is a full covers gallery just so you can admire the pretty pictures the artist drew.
We never really die.

Paul faplad Finch

Pride of Baghdad. Vaughan and his fucking animals. First Ampersand and now this lot. I'm starting to question my manhood.

Also been compelled to lay everything else aside to read the chronicles of narnia. Several nights a week I read to my nephew. The other nights his parents do it. He's just delving into narnia and it made me realise I've never actually read them all, in proper sequence. So now I'm trying to stay ahead of his story time so the random chapters I get stuck with don't ruin the books for me.  Surprised me by actually being much more accessible than I thought they'd be for a modern kid. For some reason I had the idea that they were very stuffy and old fashioned but not so. He seems to enjoy them anyway.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Quote from: faplad on 19 March, 2010, 01:03:16 AM
Surprised me by actually being much more accessible than I thought they'd be for a modern kid. For some reason I had the idea that they were very stuffy and old fashioned but not so. He seems to enjoy them anyway.

It's all good up until that horrible moment you realise you're trapped in a particularly inventive Sunday School.  

Still love 'em though.  

One of the great joys of reading to kids is finding out just how brilliantly many books are structured for reading aloud in shortish chunks.  The Hobbit in particular is an effortless joy to read aloud, with relaxing rhythms, breathing pauses and frequent repetition of lists that allow your brain to switch off entirely. 

I've also amazed to find out just how compelling kids find Enid Blyton.  It shouldn't be a surprise, seeing as I must have devoured 50 or more as a kid myself, but to see how even her 'lesser' stuff about Tooth Fairies and Noddy grips kids who are normally focussed on firefights and football is fascinating.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 March, 2010, 08:28:00 AM
It's all good up until that horrible moment you realise you're trapped in a particularly inventive Sunday School.  
So that's halfway through the first book then?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mikey

I've never read any Enid Blyton, not have I read more than The Lion, the witch...

Is that child abuse?

I picked up Ark by Stephen Baxter last night and realised it seem sto be a continuation or sequel to 'Flood'. Has anyone read Flood and should I read it before I get into Ark?

M.