Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Trifecta (a Frank and to the Point Preview)

Started by Bat King, 12 August, 2013, 11:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Oz edition.

Seriously, how do you mess that up?

Reminds of the time the people fitting my bathroom managed to get the flooring the wrong way up.

ming

DrJomster

Have just downloaded the digital version from the shop and it looks truely gorgeous!

Really pleased that this and DoC have gone digital. I'm telling you, it was a real triumph of will power to not buy the DoC books at the same time!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Apestrife

Got the book today. Planning on reading it tonight. And I must say, the HC has left me wanting more of those from 2000ad  :D :D :D

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Apestrife

Finished it this morning.

Had worries about the diff art styles getting in the way of the story, but I must say it flowed like charm.

A great espionage/mystery book, one that I also think would lend itself well to readers new to Dredd.

But I got a question. [spoiler]Did the kill list make Dirty Frank upset? The one the black ops got instead of the undercover judges one.[/spoiler]

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: sauchie on 16 August, 2013, 05:17:28 PMBut then they'd also have to include the time Maitland popped up in (and her boobs popped out of) Ewing and Currie's The Rich Cabaret (1791). No-one wants those sorts of things shoved in their face,
I do want those shoved in my face. Why would this be a problem?  :lol:

ming

Picked up my copy today.  The lenticular cover is a thing of rare beauty (and the right way up).  Whoever had that bright idea gets a hearty pat on the back from me (and, I'd hope, extra oil rations from Tharg).

PsychoGoatee

Definitely a very cool idea for the cover, just got mine today. Also nice to have some hardcover Dredd.

WhizzBang

I read this yesterday and thought it was great. I am not a 2000AD subscriber (I tried to subscribe once but ended up aborting the process due to overseas complications) so I had not read any Dirty Frank or Jack Point stuff before but this was no problem at all. They are both such clearly defined and very different characters that it is easy to quickly pick up on them.

I only read Day of Chaos in the last 2 months and was a bit disappointed with how that wrapped up (I did not make sense to me that so many people would have died, if you think about the massive global over reaction to bird flu in recent years you could easily expect the majority of people to barricade themselves in their apartments before the design was within a 100miles of them) but this works as a satisfying aftermath story.

I will confess that I was a bit dubious bout buying it at all though due to the lack of John Wagner or Alan Grant's names on the cover. My main exposure to strips not by them is CF1 and CF15 to CF19 and although Ennis did do some very good stuff once he hit his stride, much of the others stuff doesn't sit too well with me (particularly Inferno).

Hawkmumbler

Inferno was Morrison I believe. It's dire regardless and certainly the worse Dredd epic to date (Not the worst story. I'd give that to Frankenstein Division. When not even The King can save a script it's doomed).

BPP

Read this last night, first time since the prog run. Absolutely magnificent from first to last. Ewing's potboiler Ellroy Dredd is fantastic and yeilds up smiles at every turn. Read as a whole it takes it all to another level. Beautiful hardback too, would love the Wagner stuff to come out in a hardback option.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

shaolin_monkey

The contents were as awesome as when they appeared in the prog, so all good there, but I was disappointed by the lenticular cover.  Obviously the artwork was great, and I liked the idea of the reflection in the visor changing, but I was expecting it to have a 3D effect, and it's actually pretty flat. 

Maybe I raised my own expectations unnecessarily high, having a slew of amazing 3D lenticular stuff scattered about my house anyway (I'm a huge advocate of 3D as a visual medium in all forms - films, tv, handheld consoles, artwork, bookmarks - whatever), but even so I was a little bit gutted.  I was really looking forward to having a 3D lenticular of Dredd to add to my collection.

I'll live though, and it sounds like I'm the only person that felt a little sad about this. 

That said, if 2000AD want to make some fancy 3D lenticulars of their characters, I'll buy the bloody lot!   :D

Steve Green

I don't know how the pricing works for lenticular stuff, whether the more layers you have the more it costs?

It's something I've wanted a bash at.

http://www.tribal3d.com/

Gives an idea for prices - 1 offs are quite expensive, you can get 2 for not much more.