Main Menu

ABC Warriors Mek Files 1 – out 8th May

Started by Bat King, 22 April, 2014, 01:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

I wish the artwork hadn't been cropped to remove the Next Prog boxes, though.

J.Smith

It's a pretty nice book for the reasons pointed out in previous posts.

My sole complaint, however, is that when there's word balloons or boxes in the centre of the colour spreads, well, um, good look reading what they say in some cases, or making out bits of the art fully. The pages are sewn like any other Rebellion book using glossy pages, so it does get better and for the most part, only a few are difficult to read (you can use your imagination obviously); but the gutter loss is there alas. Probably unavoidable in those most noticeable cases, but a shame nonetheless.

Otherwise, it's a well put together book, and pretty much as I hoped it'd be. Now let us all join hands and pray that, when the second arrives, we won't find that the spine doesn't match with the first for some inexplicable reason of sheer insanity.

Dark Jimbo

Saw this book in the wild yesterday and had a flick through - bugger me, but it's gorgeous! Wasn't sure if I was going to take the plunge just for the colour spreads (this would be the fifth time I've bought Meknificent Seven in some form) but my mind was made up the minute I held it in my hands. Everything's a winner, from those searing yellow endpapers with blown-up panels to the lovely cover collection at the back which even includes the map of Olympia from prog 129.

Also found this interview with Mills regarding this release - it's a short one, but he divulges lots of interesting facts about the Warrior's creation (and future) - http://www.comicbooknews.co.uk/article/431-Blog-abc-warriors-mek-files-01-pat-mills-interview.html

All I need now are matching Ro-Busters/Nemesis volumes to go along with these.

Quote from: J.Smith on 10 May, 2014, 12:47:04 AM
Now let us all join hands and pray that, when the second arrives, we won't find that the spine doesn't match with the first for some inexplicable reason of sheer insanity.

Don't even joke about that!
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 May, 2014, 03:59:38 PM
Also found this interview with Mills regarding this release - it's a short one, but he divulges lots of interesting facts about the Warrior's creation (and future) - http://www.comicbooknews.co.uk/article/431-Blog-abc-warriors-mek-files-01-pat-mills-interview.html

Cheers, Jim-Bob! I'd always felt there was a parallel between Joe Pinapples and Joe Dredd (beyond the same forename) and now I know why. Bill Savage, Claw Carver, John Probe ... I see what Mills did there. I believe the full name of Eve from Third World War was Eve Dictatorshipoftheproletariat.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie on 15 May, 2014, 06:20:11 PM
Cheers, Jim-Bob! I'd always felt there was a parallel between Joe Pinapples and Joe Dredd (beyond the same forename) and now I know why.

Women's lacy undercrackers beneath all the macho black leather?
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 May, 2014, 06:41:10 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 15 May, 2014, 06:20:11 PM
Cheers, Jim-Bob! I'd always felt there was a parallel between Joe Pinapples and Joe Dredd (beyond the same forename) and now I know why.

Women's lacy undercrackers beneath all the macho black leather?

Sometimes the tight boots just aren't enough.

TordelBack

I shouldn't read these threads when I'm quoting for jobs.  I find myself dropping my rates further and further as I grow ever more desperate to get the work so I can buy some damn comic book.  Then if I get the job, I feel remorse for not charging enough to make it worthwhile, never mind buying gorgeous ABC Warriors collections.

But I won't let that stop me.  Oh no.  Tender limbo, here we go...

J.Smith

Now let us all join hands and pray that, when the second arrives, we won't find that the spine doesn't match with the first for some inexplicable reason of sheer insanity.

Ye gods, I may have jinxed it! The spines are a funny / aggravating thing. It's only something I noticed a few years ago when I became a more serious collector and bought loads of books, but I was delighted to find a whole thread on these forums about the damnable things when I re-subscribed a few months ago, knowing that I'm not the only person who got all his books in order and was taken aback by what he saw in the 2000AD section of his shelf.

Somewhat more on topic, I recently won several large lots of the comic's older days, and finding the Warriors earliest outings was a real treat to behold, particularly since the first appearance of them I came across going through one of the piles was in Prog 130, the cover of which was amazing to find because the first cover I saw of the characters shortly after I first started collecting the comic myself was Henry Flint's variant covers for Prog 1476, which I now realise was a take on this McMahon one. Bloody awesome.

Can't wait to get round to the Simon Bisley section of the book - some especially jaw dropping stuff there.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 May, 2014, 07:27:03 PM
I shouldn't read these threads when I'm quoting for jobs.  I find myself dropping my rates further and further as I grow ever more desperate to get the work so I can buy some damn comic book.

Only £16.75 from Forbidden planet, Tord! http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/abc-warriors-mek-files-volume-1-hardcover#.U3fjCSg1CVZ
@jamesfeistdraws

The Bissler

Just got my copy through from FP this morning.  It is beautiful! 

I second Dark Jimbo's call to give Robusters and Nemesis the same treatment!  Please do it for us Rebellion!

Anyway, must go now and spend some quality time reading this!

radiator

Is there going to be a US edition of this?

So far it looks like the only way I'll be able to get a copy is via Amazon.co.uk...

Likewise the Dante reissues...

amines2058

Quote from: J.Smith on 15 May, 2014, 09:38:18 PM

Ye gods, I may have jinxed it! The spines are a funny / aggravating thing. It's only something I noticed a few years ago when I became a more serious collector and bought loads of books, but I was delighted to find a whole thread on these forums about the damnable things when I re-subscribed a few months ago, knowing that I'm not the only person who got all his books in order and was taken aback by what he saw in the 2000AD section of his shelf.

Somewhat more on topic, I recently won several large lots of the comic's older days, and finding the Warriors earliest outings was a real treat to behold, particularly since the first appearance of them I came across going through one of the piles was in Prog 130, the cover of which was amazing to find because the first cover I saw of the characters shortly after I first started collecting the comic myself was Henry Flint's variant covers for Prog 1476, which I now realise was a take on this McMahon one. Bloody awesome.

Can't wait to get round to the Simon Bisley section of the book - some especially jaw dropping stuff there.

This is without doubt my favourite ever artwork in 2000ad even to this day.
As much as I loved Bisleys later painted stuff on Slaine, plus the amazing work of Langley, Davis etc, this just redefined comic art for me, especially the detail evident in this black and white work.
I still possess the 2 original Titan GN's of The Black Hole story, but am very tempted by this release, just short of funds  :(

The Bissler

I agree completely amines2058, I've got those Titan Books as well but the printing is a bit (uncharacteristically) dodgy for the Bisley art.  There's too much black, to the point where some of the images are blurry.  Thankfully this is not the case here.  This edition is pure quality and I look forward to future editions as I haven't read any of the other stories!  Roll on September for book 2!

Sad though that there are no plans to replicate this format for Nemesis - 2000AD confirmed this to me on Twitter this evening.   :'(

The Bissler

Just read the Meknificent Seven, really good fun although I felt it ended a little abruptly.

Was very happy with how the situation with [spoiler]the Mess[/spoiler] worked out, very nice touch.  Although other than that, I didn't quite see the point of the character, it barely featured.

I'm looking forward to rereading the Black Hole which I remember being grimmer and having a far darker tone.  It will be an interesting contrast to see how much 2000AD grew up in a relatively short period of time.

TordelBack

Had a good look through this in the shop - flippin' gorgeous: I'd have no qualms about swapping out my existing Rebellion softbacks, which suddenly seem pokey and inferior.  Even my Titans might have to go.   If I can ever manage to rustle up 30-odd euro this has moved to the top of my want-list. 

From my cheekily extended browse I thought McCarthy and SMS were the artists that got the biggest boost out of the shiny new printing, Bisley, McMahon and Ezquerra seemed to manage the smaller format better.  SMS's intricate hatching in particular looked terrific.

I'm already scoping out a spot in the bookcase.