Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 09 May, 2018, 08:39:39 AM
To be fair to the director, he's not the only one to have struggled with hitting a PG rating on a blockbuster action film.
Batman (89) was the first film to be given a 12 certificate because it was too violent for a PG but they couldn't stand the idea of bumping it up to a 15 and losing so much potential income. Jurrassic Park was a PG with a special advisory that it wasn't really a PG but, hey, kids love dinosaurs. I think Spider-Man had a similar advisory on its 12 certificate (mainly because of the very violent final battle).

Spiderman was the first 12A, and the point where the 12 rating switched from being 'nobody under 12 allowed' to 'nobody under 12 allowed without an adult'. A combination of parents unhappy they couldn't take their kids to a Spiderman movie and cinema chains upset they would be losing the family audiences caused the change if I remember right. There have been plenty of times I've had a 12 movie cinema experience ruined by parents bringing in really young noisy kids, so from a grumpy old bastard standpoint I often wish they'd kept it as 'nobody under 12 allowed'!

I remember Batman being in a weird limbo where the 12 certificate had been introduced for cinema releases but not for home video, so the video was a 15 despite it being the same cut of the film (I think). First 12 I ever went to see was Young Guns 2 (I'm getting nostalgic now)!

Steve Green

UK censorship has certainly been a bit mixed in some respects - I guess there's the argument that it's a lot harder to control audience access to video than film, and it tended to be more restrictive on video than film, where it could also be replayed endlessly.

Then there's the whole thing about what can be imitated, like butts, ear claps, microwaving aerosols, and  a hard line on nunchuks, which scuppered the TMNT back in the day.

radiator

Quote from: Woolly on 08 May, 2018, 06:35:48 PM
Quote from: radiator on 08 May, 2018, 01:28:52 AM
I think the colour grading is a little overcooked and at times it makes the movie look a little ugly.

Kinda see what you mean, but I think the biggest problem is that alot of the 2012 film appears to have been shot way too dark, and then brightened in post. Highlights alot of digital noise, and looks pretty ugly, as you said.
Thankfully its only at it's worst in a handful of shots/scenes.

It's partially that, yes, but what I'm getting at is more the actual colour grade - it feels a tad overdone to me, borderline garish at times, as it's been fussed with a little too much in post. I'd have gone with a more muted aesthetic.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I seem to recall that there's also a fair bit of the dreaded 'orange and teal' colour scheme going on in certain scenes - that gross, overdone look that makes everyone's skin bright orange and that will look every bit as dated in a few years time as grainy 1970s film footage does to us now.

As I say, it's been quite some time since I've actually seen the movie, could be misremembering or exaggerating.

radiator

QuoteUK censorship has certainly been a bit mixed in some respects - I guess there's the argument that it's a lot harder to control audience access to video than film, and it tended to be more restrictive on video than film, where it could also be replayed endlessly.

Yeah - I remember films like Con Air and Starship Troopers being 15 in the cinema but 18 on home video.

JLC

IndigoPrime

Still in pre-production, isn't it? That can go on for years until there's something concrete to announce.

Steve Green

Yeah.

You get the odd bit of unsubstantiated 'I've got inside info, news soon' or Rebellion said they're busy working on it on twitter on the Dredd facebook groups. But it's just fluff.

I think the last thing officially shown was the concept art.

Maybe something will be mentioned at SDCC in July, but it could still be 'we're working on it' rather than anything earth-shattering.

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 June, 2018, 10:58:35 AM
I think the last thing officially shown was the concept art.

Amounts to the same thing, but the last thing I received was a GDPR email.  I could swear they've added a few hovercars since the last viewing of the cityscape in the background, but could be mistaken.

Steve Green

I didn't sign up to the mailing list, so wouldn't know...

A.Cow

Quote from: sheridan on 03 June, 2018, 12:35:53 PM
I could swear they've added a few hovercars since the last viewing of the cityscape in the background, but could be mistaken.

More hovercars you say?  Sounds like incontrovertible & definite proof that they'll be recreating that scene from the Stallone Dredd movie where he blows up the illegally parked vehicle!  It's an outrage!  Somebody get a petition going!  Down with this sort of thing!

dweezil2

Quote from: A.Cow on 04 June, 2018, 05:06:12 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 03 June, 2018, 12:35:53 PM
I could swear they've added a few hovercars since the last viewing of the cityscape in the background, but could be mistaken.

More hovercars you say?  Sounds like incontrovertible & definite proof that they'll be recreating that scene from the Stallone Dredd movie where he blows up the illegally parked vehicle!  It's an outrage!  Somebody get a petition going!  Down with this sort of thing!

Bring back the transit vans I say!!!!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

BMCCOLL

Given that the abomination that was Stallone's Judge Dredd took nigh on 7 years to finally reach the screen, the longer this drags on the better it is to kick it into touch now!

Steve Green

BMCCOLL

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 June, 2018, 10:07:49 PM
That's the spirit.  ::)

You can see the Hollywood meetings...
Yeh let's make a TV series about the life in Jadge Dreed's MC1!
Lets go fer it!
Yeh but we have to include this...
Lets go fer it!
And exclude that...
Lets go fer it!
And don't ferget those...
Lets go fer it!
But we can't upset these...
Lets go fer it!

...well you get the picture...
Lets go fer it?

The Legendary Shark