Main Menu

2000ad and the united states

Started by das, 15 December, 2009, 05:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das

Trying to get progs in the usa has just gotten even harder !
Now diamond (the ONLY usa distributor) is selling 2000ad paks.
they cannot be bothered with a weekly it seems.
most of the online comic shops are quite confused  by paks and are having trouble figuring out the ordering.
heavy ink where i was getting my progs is dropping 2000ad all together along with other shops.
now it has always been REAL difficult to get 2000ad in the usa and seems such a shame, it really seems to be worth while for rebellion to get someone to deal with getting progs overseas to new virtually untouched markets !!!

Confusion is Better Than Sex

Richmond Clements

Dandontdare

We've had a recent discussion about how Tharg can conquer America but at the moment Diamond seems to have things pretty stitched up. Our man Grant keeps a close eye on things and gets very frustrated about late or missing shipments. I think the consensus was that digital is the way to go in the future.

Grant Goggans

Well, the counterpoint to HeavyInk's argument is that a local shop, Great Escape here in suburban Atlanta, couldn't be happier with the packs!  I talked to the owner the day the "September" pack shipped - the day before Thanksgiving - and since, for the last twelve months, Diamond has just been shipping whatever issues it felt like in whatever order, having a block of four or five at a time has made his life a lot easier.

I think that's nutty, but even my "local" up in Athens has had an easier time of it, since they're not receiving random progs from last December just show up.

The counterpoint to that, of course, is that this problem of willy-nilly weekly progs is entirely one of Diamond's own, recent, making.  Up until, say, October '08, they didn't have a serious problem getting issues out, two at a time, every other week.  There'd be an annual hiccup and something would be delayed a shipment or two, and you'd get four at a time, but just once a year.  Then last fall, things went completely awful, and the prog packs, intended to "fix" that (I guess?), haven't worked for toffee (as you say) since they don't SHIP the damn things.

I still never got the August pack.  September came in November.  Some stores in the Chicago area have received the October pack.  Nobody's reported seeing the November or December packs yet.

Mike Gloady

Jesus!

I'm consistently amazed at the loyalty of you NA Squaxx.  Applause.  It's astonishing that Diamond manage to funt it up so regularly, Tharg sends them the progs, they bundle and ship them.  It's not bloody rocket science.  They don't have to hunt the prog down in the wild for sneck's sake!
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

James Stacey

I know we are talking about getting them from shops here so spreading the word to new, as yet un tapped fans, but 2000ad offer an international sub service. Wouldn't it be easier to take out a direct sub than suffer at the hands of Diamond?

Grant Goggans

It's just a cost issue.  I'm underemployed at the moment and don't have the chunk of change that a sub would cost.  Clickwheel's cheaper than a sub, but pricier than my shop, because I get a nice discount.  I'll miss my hardcopy progs, but I'm giving it to the end of January to work itself out before I cancel my order and go digital-only.

das

1. i have 1500+ progs and NO desire to go digital.
2. i do not want a different usa edition
3. getting a sub direct from rebellion is very pricey because of the weekly postage.

cant rebellion get ONE frunting online american shop, progs direct, bypassing diamond ?????
then advertise that place as the american HQ for thrillpower !!!

das

and i actually have been talking to one of the best online comic shops here in the states and they like my idea a lot. who is there from 2000ad staff that i can put them in touch with ???

Emperor

There is the danger of thrillpower overload to consider too - getting a slab of 4 or 5 progs could easily could lead to anything up to an including lightning appearing from all orifices.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

das

can anyone tell me how many 2000 ad subscribers there are in;
usa ?
australia ?