Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 01/07/06, 7pm, ARMY OF GHOSTS...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 01 July, 2006, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

The Ghostbusters bit was cringeworthy but mercifully brief, though like a lot of the pop-culture refs thrust into the show, it would have been fine if it had been played a little lower key.

Jim_Campbell

"I'll be joining Paul on the "Fuck RTD" picketline..."

If our worst fears are confirmed, then I, too, will be joining that line.

And I'll be bringing a pick-axe handle with the words "Russell T Davis" carved into it.

"Ahem ... excuse me, Mr Davis ...

"It's called ... Science [THWACK!] Fiction [THWACK!] because it's [THWACK!] Fiction with [THWACK!] science in it! [THWACK!]

"Billie-fiucking-Piper [THWACK!]

"And her fucking mum! [THWACK!]

"Timmy fucking Mallet [1] [THWACK!]

"You [THWACK!] fucking [THWACK!] tosser!" [THWACK!]

Bah! Again!

Jim

[1] Timmmeeeeeeh!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mr C

I shall now never be able to think of Timmy Mallet without going "Timmmmeeeeh! Livinalie! Imlivingalie!"

House of Usher

I enjoyed it, even with all the bits that made me think "no - don't do that - do it a bit more subtly than that..."

(even "Gonnae no' do that")

Top marks, minus points deducted for showing off.
8/10, B+
STRIKE !!!

Tanky

However, top marks for keeping redundant eastenders in work

paulvonscott

Something that made me slightly homicidal/hysterical amused was RTD saying that with Doctor Who he had made it a bit Roald Dahl.

Roald Dahl was a master storyteller.  If there was one ghost they did need last night, it might have been his.

Although I know I'm going over the top with my dislike of the show, it's been bubbling since the last series.  If I don't get it out of my system, I might damage myself.

Quirkafleeg

>However, top marks for keeping redundant eastenders in work

Oh yes, full points for her clevage

ARRISARRIS

...even my girlfriend guessed the ghosts were the Cybermen, and she knows nothing about Dr Who, 'nobody likes a smart arse...'

ARRISARRIS

...also, if Rose is really DEAD, how can she narrate the story in the opening sequence???...

pauljholden

Well.... either she is really dead and her narration is just  literary device - see the narrator of Desperate Housewives - or she's not dead but has had to pretend to be dead to everyone, including the Doctor in order to save the universe or something.

That's my guess...

- pj

Buddy

I'm inclined to agree with just about everything PVS has to say.

Always thought RTD was a bit smug about getting the job of bringing back Dr Who. It's like Dr Who lite really, and yes it does smack of CBBC.

Said it before, get rid of RTD, get rid of Piper (happening, yay!), change the formatt from US style 45min episodes back to the half hour episodes with stories developing over 3, 4, 5 weeks.

The Doctor carrying the Olympic torch did it for me, just dopey!

Lobo Baggins

Russel T Davies is an absolute nob, and every time I see Doctor Who confidential, I want to punch him. While he sits around clapping and smarming and backslapping at the script meetings, someone should really stand up and point out it's a load of toss. Just like Second Coming was.

Indeed, and any optimism I had for Torchwood evaporated with his comments that it would be 'for adults... about action.. and SEXUALITY!'

Mrh.  One track mind, that fellah...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

The Monarch

Hey still looking foward to torchwood as captain jack is in it.

Adrian Bamforth

Personally, knowing his writing I really think the only reason for the inclusion of Torchwood is that RTD thinks it's clever to have an anagram of Doctor Who.

Not that there's any actual reason plot-wise for the two to have have related names, it's just that it's 'clever'. Ironic that after taking someone else's old series and making it crap, he now plans to do the same with a character introduced by Steven Moffatt - a far better writer than himself. How about he actually come up with a series of his own to mess up before starting on other peoples?

ADE

Leigh S

I jsut ahd a flashback to how RTD would give interviews where he said that the papers were speculating that actors of the calibre of Ken Dodd and Paul Daniels were being touted, and that showed how far the show had fallen.  

So why cast a great actor, then have him play the character in a simialr manner to the way one would suppose Michael Barrimore would do it?