Main Menu

The Witcher Netflix Series

Started by broodblik, 04 September, 2018, 07:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

I suppose I'm just want them to stick to the source material.

Funt Solo

So, you want them to cast elves and dwarves?

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Theblazeuk

I think we should only cast Nilfgardians.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Rara Avis on 19 March, 2019, 06:44:37 PM
I suppose I'm just want them to stick to the source material.

Migration is not a new phenomenon, and not all writers mention a character's ethnicity in the visual description - although it has been noted that Caucasian writers have a tendency to do so.  There may be more diversity in your favorite fictional works than you realise.  The Harry Potter books are chock full of diversity you would never know was there if JK Rowling didn't point it out on Twitter 10 years after it would have been helpful.

I'm a bit confused, though - does the show just have a diverse cast, or is this an explicit statement that the show is to feature ethno and/or racial nationalism?  I didn't spot much of that in the Witcher games (not that I played any of them very much as I tend to like my RPGs to have some RP in them), but it's pretty blatant in Skyrim, a game not unloved by white supremacists.

Funt Solo

That ultra-Viking dude you linked to recently reminded me of ... [tremble at the approach of] .... the Techno-Viking.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

:D :D :D :D

Yes that's exactly what I want.

It's just a bugbear of mine. I just hate when a book is adapted into a tv or film and significant changes are made to the source material. Take Game of Thrones for example - this sticks pretty closely to the source material for as long as it can and it's amazing. These are the adaptations I want to see. Take a good book and make a good film or tv show. That's all I ask. Sometimes changing certain aspects of the source material can indicate the end product is a cash grab or that the producers or whoever haven't really engaged with the material they are trying to recreate. There's plenty of racism in the books between humans, elves, dwarves and gnomes.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 March, 2019, 09:29:12 PM
So, you want them to cast elves and dwarves?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rara Avis

Did not find the trailer amazing but I'm reserving judgement.

TordelBack

This thread hurts my head. Books any good?

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 July, 2019, 09:25:11 PM
Terrible, but somehow Witcher 3 has some of the best and most affecting writing in any videogame ever made.
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 July, 2019, 09:25:11 PM

The books are wonderful (if convoluted). I've been unable to put them down and binged them since discovery.  I would say that conclusions are somewhat ephemeral in The Lady in the Lake. But it's a fantasy, or a fairytale, within a world of realpolitik.  I was left wondering if much of the denouement was literally a placatory band aid on the wound of the actual conclusion. Still wonderful.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Anyone watching this? We saw the first episode last night. Strangely I think my wife liked it more than I did, given she said "that was quite good" at the end. I thought she would have been put off by the monster at the start and the graphic sword battles etc, but apparently not.

I'm reserving judgement on it for now. (I've not read the books or played the game, so it's all new to me.)

Dark Jimbo

We watched the first episode... a month ago? And since then neither of us have felt the least urge to watch any more - which probably tells you all you need to know.

Slow, stiff, stilted; it somehow managed to be confusing and boring at the same time.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

The first episose is pretty weak, but having stuck with it I think it's an absolutely wonderful series, head and shoulders above GoT in terms of fantasy fun.

It is utter rubbish, no question, but it takes itself not one jot seriously: as my missus remarked, it's just Xena Warriors Princess with less lezzing and more boobs, right down to Joxer / Jaksier as comedy annoyance. If you like the Tapert stable of fantasy shows (and I did), you'll like this.

Refreshingly it takes no prisoners when setting up its world (or even its byzantine chronology!) although all does become clear by about the middle of the season.  Cavill is a marvel, his violent emotionless mutant somehow far more likeable and heroic than his Superman. His grunt game is peerless.

Some terrific gore in places too.

I know it's a mistake, but I'm itching to.play the games now.