Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

There may be a point here about low expectations, but Shazam was very good fun, tied with Wonder Woman for best of the DCs for me. Not being aware of the comic, wife & kids thought the central 'twist' was great. The overlong and rather disturbing opening sequences nearly put me off, but within the context of the overall movie they were entirely justified.

I award 100 bonus points for no character making any kind of joke about suddenly having adult sexual characteristics, and no interior shots of the strip club (most gratuitous cliché in all of cinema).  Minus 25 points for not going [spoiler]Full Tawky[/spoiler].

Tiplodocus

It took me a little while to join the dots in my head for the different [spoiler]tiger[/spoiler] motifs. But I grinned big when it clicked.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Thought Shazam! was great fun, and benefited massively from not being tied into any larger scheme of DC film universe stuff, just a really solid fun standalone movie doing its own thing.

We enjoyed it so much we finally rented Justice League which we've been putting off for a while because of all the hate, and I guess the bad rep set up our expectations properly because it was way better than I expected. Not great, and it's pretty shitty that it largely comes down to [spoiler]'ah it's fine, Superman will just come along and sort everything'[/spoiler] and of course a lot of that CG mess at the end is a CG mess but it was an enjoyable enough dumb superhero knockabout. As I say though, that was probably because we went in expecting to hate it!

Also watched Cobain: A Montage of Heck which left me pretty depressed. So much talent wasted and whether it's the way it's all in the portrayal what I thought came across was that meeting Courtney Love and having their miseries and addictions combine and feed off one another was a bit of a turning point for things going downhill fast. Made me think that maybe if he'd fallen into some sort of healthier relationship then things may have been different and he may have found the help and support he needed. Some of it was uncomfortably familiar to me - obviously not the huge talent and success part but I had a lot of problems with depression and drinking myself miserable when I was younger and the movie made me realize how incredibly lucky I am that I met who I did and got the help to pull up out of all that, and how differently things could have gone if I'd instead found someone who would wallow with me and indulge my problems instead of helping beat them.

So a bit of a miserable watch for me really (and apologies for the heavy review but it really did stick with me)!

Got round to War For The Planet of The Apes too which I thought was a really good installment in what's been a great series. I can't believe how amazing the motion capture performances are and how stunning the effects work on them is. Seeing how they can pull that off while Justice League couldn't convince me Henry Cavill didn't have a moustache was quite the contrast.

Oh and I watched The Conjuring 2 as well, which was good but probably not as good as the first film (my memory is hazy). There were some good inventive scares ([spoiler]the nun in the painting was a great scene)[/spoiler] and I think the fact that I remembered the haunting itself from creepy books I read as a kid probably helped it to creep me out more. Definitely a cut above some of the other glossy Hollywood haunting movies I've seen (there's a nice '70s style sensibility to the direction that I like, you can tell the filmmakers were raised on the classics!) but didn't blow me away or anything.

Oh and got to Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan on my Jason trawl and while I've not found any of them to be great this was not one of the better ones. Has its nice cheesy moments that were good for a laugh, but the promise of Jason taking to the city streets is barely delivered on, and you have to get through a whole lot of fannying about on a ferry before it happens. I'm only really continuing to watch these through a weird sense of commitment now as none of them have been any good really!

Apestrife

The Long Good Friday Really good gangster movie with a bit to say which still feels relevant 40 or so years later. Bob Hopkins and Helen Mirren are fantastic in it. Impressed with how well it told a fairly big story in just 1,5h hours as well.

Aguirre, the wrath of God Really cool and epic movie about some conquistadors trying to find Eldorado. There's almost a documentary feel to it, especially with Klaus Kinski apperantly not just playing insane, but is (if the documentary My best fiend is to believed). Regardless Kinski is scary good in it. As is the movie.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Apestrife on 28 April, 2019, 10:48:38 AM
The Long Good Friday Really good gangster movie with a bit to say which still feels relevant 40 or so years later. Bob Hopkins and Helen Mirren are fantastic in it. Impressed with how well it told a fairly big story in just 1,5h hours as well.

A damn near perfect movie, and a personal favourite of mine. Could sing it's praises all day.

Apestrife

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 28 April, 2019, 10:50:48 AM
Quote from: Apestrife on 28 April, 2019, 10:48:38 AM

A damn near perfect movie, and a personal favourite of mine. Could sing it's praises all day.

I dont know why I wrote "really good". Its fantastic.

The Legendary Shark

I've never really been into music, it always seemed like something that happened to other people. Sure, I've been moved by it the odd time and my foot can tap with the best of them but, somehow, I never really got it.

I've just watched Bohemian Rhapsody. It made me want to learn how to sing.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 April, 2019, 08:32:44 PM

I've never really been into music, it always seemed like something that happened to other people. Sure, I've been moved by it the odd time and my foot can tap with the best of them but, somehow, I never really got it.

I've just watched Bohemian Rhapsody. It made me want to learn how to sing.

I also watched this over the weekend and I enjoyed it. Highly recommended
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Keef Monkey

Watched Predestination at the weekend (it's on Amazon Prime) and it's the kind of time travel movie which probably falls apart if you think about it too much, but rolling with it we really enjoyed all the time wimey turns it took. From the writers/directors of Daybreakers which I also enjoyed, and maybe because of that I expected more of a sci-fi action romp but it's more of a thinker, with a couple of performances that I thought were really quite exceptional.

Other than that rewatched Infinity War (still great) and went to see Endgame. Won't say much here (will keep that for the spoiler thread!) but absolutely loved it. They really stuck the landing and after everything that's lead here that feels pretty special to watch.

Watched the Doomed doc on Amazon too, all about the Roger Corman 'fake' Fantastic Four movie, and now I really want to see that film!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 April, 2019, 10:51:52 AM

Watched the Doomed doc on Amazon too, all about the Roger Corman 'fake' Fantastic Four movie, and now I really want to see that film!

I've got that on a pirate DVD I picked up at a comic mart many years ago.

It's truly awful.

Dandontdare

Oh I dunno, if you put aside the FX budget, it stands up to the other awful versions. You can watch it on dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19pvwt

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 29 April, 2019, 11:06:03 AM

I've got that on a pirate DVD I picked up at a comic mart many years ago.

It's truly awful.

It was floating about on YouTube a brave few years back. In it's defense it's probably the best Fantastic 4 movie that's not called The Incredibles
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

and went to see Endgame. Won't say much here (will keep that for the spoiler thread!) but absolutely loved it.

I'm intrigued is 'Endgame' particularly vulnerable to spoilers? There's been a lot of fuss made about not spoiling it and folks seem to be respecting that - from the little I've noticed.

Is there a specific thing that needs to be avoided spoiler wise (obviously don't say what if there is!) or is it just a very clever bit of marketing to get folks rushing to queues to see it as soon as possible? If so well done them as its clearly worked!

Just wondering what folks who've seen it thought.

Bolt-01

Colin I avoided trailers as much as possible for Endgame- and was rewarded. There are, depending upon perspective, several moments which caused loud exclamations in the screening I saw and I was glad not to have had any warning that this was the case.

Mattofthespurs

Yep, loads of instances where stuff happens and it makes you gasp.