Main Menu

Prog 2033: I am the resurrection

Started by IndigoPrime, 26 May, 2017, 02:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

A Friday Prog. Bar post-Christmas issues showing up early, I think that's a first. Not had a proper read yet, but lovely to see a little Edmund Bagwell tribute on he Nerve Centre page, and Brendan McCarthy is back on Dredd! \o/

Oh, and it's the last part of Fall of Deadworld. Boo, hiss, and all that. (But it will return. Oh yessssss.)

ZenArcade

:'( :'( :'( What, weeks without Dead World.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Who's provided the cover?  I'm guessing it's either Defoe or Deadworld from the title of this thread?

Molch-R

Paul's signature is just above shoulder of lower zombie :)

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: sheridan on 26 May, 2017, 03:50:11 PM
Who's provided the cover?  I'm guessing it's either Defoe or Deadworld from the title of this thread?

Defoe cover this time around. :)

Colin YNWA

Ha! That reminds me of Klarion the Witch Boy

Jacqusie

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 27 May, 2017, 08:10:13 AM

Great cover - really like Paul Davidson's stylised work - bold and powerfull layouts. Loving the green 2000ad logo too - if only it were bigger  ;)

Colin YNWA

Its normally a good sign when the Prog threads are very quiet. It tends to mean that the comics are in good form and no one can be bothered to pop along simply to heap the same old praise week in, week out.

Give people a below par Prog and they'll kick up a shitstorm round these parts.

So judging by the recent attendance in this neck of the woods we're in rare old form and to be fair we are. Just wish people would take more time to come and acknowledge that.

This week we have a curious Dredd. Firstly great to have Mr McCarthy back on board, just glorious and I've been enjoying Eglington's Dredd's of late so you'd think this would be a winner. Strangely though something wasn't quite right. It was a fine opener and I'm looking forward to seeing more but possibly this felt a little stretched. As if the story idea didn't quite fit neatly into two, or three parts (whatever) and therefore some had to be padded. Nothing bad at all, in fact I really rather enjoyed the set up we're served, just felt it could have been leaner?

Defoe... is losing me ... it always does I guess, damn I got sucker in by the pretty visuals at the start of the story but found myself wondering whether we'd seen Defoe's [spoiler]family killed [/spoiler]in the strip. I assume so, in a previous story but I simply can't bring myself to pay attention and this week that came crashing home.

Brink once again provides an absolute masterclass in how to move the story along quite superbly with eposition framed so wonderfully that you don't notice what's being done. Another conversation dominates the episode and so much is achieved by doing this. Just brilliant and it also subtly puts me on tender hooks with the least dramatic, very dramatic cliffhanger. Quite supremely executed comics.

Scarlet Traces ain't half bad either, sure its not on Brink levels but the exchange betweeenthingie (sorry I forget his name) and the Sargent from the first episode of this series on 2000ad (I assume if I remember correctly) is quite brilliant. To then be rounded off by the climax is quite something.

Deadworld hs done what Defoe fails to do series after series and utter won me over. This series has been streets ahead of the previous stories and I'm now utterly invested and hope to find time to go back and read what has gone before to see if it was me or it that missed things last time. Can't wait for this to return.

So yeah I know there's a telly show down the pipe in a couple of years and everyone wants to get a name check like want happened with the Dredd film but come on when the Progs this good surely we can all take too minutes to sing its praises?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 May, 2017, 08:56:32 PM
Just brilliant and it also subtly puts me on tender hooks with the least dramatic, very dramatic cliffhanger.

Aargh ... Tenterhooks - that's one of my grammatical bugbears. Why on earth would a hook be tender?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 May, 2017, 10:43:06 PM
Just brilliant and it also subtly puts me on tender hooks with the least dramatic, very dramatic cliffhanger.

Aargh ... Tenterhooks - that's one of my grammatical bugbears. Why on earth would a hook be tender?
Oh there are ways, trust me (always talc your rubber and rig, kids).

Thats an exceptional cover I must say, Davidson provides his usual high quality!

A.Cow

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 May, 2017, 10:43:06 PM

On the scale of grammatical errors, it's one of the more understandable ones.  Butchers tenderise meat and they also hang meat from hooks; putting the two together sounds logical, even though it's wrong.

A.Cow

This week we have a curious Dredd. [...] just felt it could have been leaner?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Defoe... is losing me ...

Probably because there's nothing noteworthy actually happening.

At least Dredd has variety.  Defoe is the same old trudge every time and we've allowed ourselves to be wowed by the new artwork.  (Just like Slaine with Simon Davis.)  We really should know better.  Even before the next Greysuit appears, we can pretty much guess the plot.  Pat Mills may be a genius but he gets too easily stuck in a rut plotwise.

At least with Savage we have the gradual transformation from Invasion! to Ro-Busters driving an underlying change of scenery...

Brink once again provides an absolute masterclass in how to move the story along quite superbly [...] Another conversation dominates the episode and so much is achieved by doing this.

Can't agree less, I'm afraid.  The page 2 conversation reflects the worst excesses of American comics.  This may well be clever pacing but, if so, it's lost in an episodic format.  I'm not saying that we need a Red Fang-style cliffhanger every week -- but 2000 AD should not be a showcase for selling graphic novels.

Magnetica

Its normally a good sign when the Prog threads are very quiet. It tends to mean that the comics are in good form and no one can be bothered to pop along simply to heap the same old praise week in, week out.

Give people a below par Prog and they'll kick up a storm round these parts.

So judging by the recent attendance in this neck of the woods we're in rare old form and to be fair we are. Just wish people would take more time to come and acknowledge that.

So yeah I know there's a telly show down the pipe in a couple of years and everyone wants to get a name check like want happened with the Dredd film but come on when the Progs this good surely we can all take too minutes to sing its praises?

Yes that's about right. When I first got Prog thread posting privileges I was dead keen to post.

These days one or two reviews per series seems enough. Only so many times you can give the same review.

Defoe... is losing me ... it always does I guess, damn I got sucker in by the pretty visuals at the start of the story but found myself wondering whether we'd seen Defoe's [spoiler]family killed [/spoiler]in the strip. I assume so, in a previous story but I simply can't bring myself to pay attention and this week that came crashing home.

Yes this has been shown previously. Don't have the Progs to hand so I can't tell you when , but I definitely remember it.