Main Menu

"The things i do for love" Game of Thrones is here

Started by Radbacker, 18 April, 2011, 02:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

Looks awesome already, a lot of new characters in there. But no sign of Jaqen H'Ghar yet?

Incidentally, I made the mistake of finding this video on aintitcool and then browsing through the comments where some dickhead felt the need to post a massive spoiler about book five (I'm still on four). So that's just put me in a bad mood.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Radbacker

QuoteLooks awesome already, a lot of new characters in there. But no sign of Jaqen H'Ghar yet?
No clear sign but he's in the cage Arya walks past in the last episode with the other two monsters Rorge and Bitter, we dont get a good look at them though got to save some shocks for season 2.

I cant bloody wait for this, (saty away if you sdont want to know names)[spoiler]that thar behind the scenes did I spy The Onion Knight, Lady Melisandre, Lady Magery Tyrell, a quick flash of Briene the Beautifull [/spoiler] hurry up I hate wishing my life away but i just want it to be on now.

Ahh, Aintitcools good for that but I wouldn't worry about the spoiler too much Shutdown Man nothings for certain in Martins Books.

CU Radbacker

the shutdown man

Quote from: Radbacker on 21 November, 2011, 02:08:50 PM
I cant bloody wait for this, (saty away if you sdont want to know names)[spoiler]that thar behind the scenes did I spy The Onion Knight, Lady Melisandre, Lady Magery Tyrell, a quick flash of Briene the Beautifull [/spoiler] hurry up I hate wishing my life away but i just want it to be on now.

I believe there's a brief glimpse of [spoiler]Aeron Damphair and King Stannis[/spoiler] in there too.

TordelBack

Fresh off the back of reading A Storm of Swords (aka One of The Greatest Fantasy Novels Ever WrittenTM), all I can say, is FASTER, faster damn you!

brendan1

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 November, 2011, 04:05:53 PM
Fresh off the back of reading A Storm of Swords (aka One of The Greatest Fantasy Novels Ever WrittenTM), all I can say, is FASTER, faster damn you!

I've started "A Dance With Dragons" and after the snail-pace of "A Feast For Crows" I do worry that he's "doing a Jordan" because my enthusiasm for it has waned dramatically.

As for the TV series, the first was truly excellent, but what are the chances it will keep an audience long enough to justify the hefty budgets? I can't see it ever catching up with the novels. Mind you, I'm getting the feeling that the novels will just carry on and on until Martin drops dead, without actually finishing it.

Also like Jordan.

the shutdown man

I'm about two thirds through Feast, and I'm a bit worried about that myself, it's just not a page turner in the same way the others were.

The main problem being, I reckon, [spoiler]that most of the the more interesting characters, Tyrion, Jon Snow, etc. are "off-screen", and bringing other lesser characters on for one chapter at a time and then leaving them again doesn't help. [/spoiler]

I'm hoping it picks up again in Dance, but I've heard mixed reports about that too.

brendan1

Quote from: the shutdown man on 23 November, 2011, 09:10:01 AM
I'm about two thirds through Feast, and I'm a bit worried about that myself, it's just not a page turner in the same way the others were.

The main problem being, I reckon, [spoiler]that most of the the more interesting characters, Tyrion, Jon Snow, etc. are "off-screen", and bringing other lesser characters on for one chapter at a time and then leaving them again doesn't help. [/spoiler]

I'm hoping it picks up again in Dance, but I've heard mixed reports about that too.

The characters that aren't in "Feast" are all in "Dance", but so far it's just as fucking dull, as nobody actually does anything at all, apart from mope about and eat.

Radbacker

remember that Feast and Dance were not originally going to be in the series, after Storm of Swords the series was supposed to pick up quite a few years later but I guess the characters (or the publisher) got the best of MArtin so he decided to write a bridging book which then turned into two books.  The series does have an end though from what i understand it was originally planned as a 5 book series, so if he doesn't pump any more filler in we have two books left.  The new character that just seem to be randomly inserted definatly have a purpose which becomes clearer towards the end Dance when the whole story starts moving forward again.
Dance starts slow (the first half is really the last part of Feast) but really picks up towards the end and I think ends with one of the best moments since book 1.

I like Jordan even if his last 4 books were really slow (and i mean really slow i think they covered about a 6 months in their world), he's (was) one of the best world builders in modern fantasy.

CU Radbacker

brendan1

Quote from: Radbacker on 23 November, 2011, 10:37:24 AM
remember that Feast and Dance were not originally going to be in the series, after Storm of Swords the series was supposed to pick up quite a few years later but I guess the characters (or the publisher) got the best of MArtin so he decided to write a bridging book which then turned into two books.  The series does have an end though from what i understand it was originally planned as a 5 book series, so if he doesn't pump any more filler in we have two books left.  The new character that just seem to be randomly inserted definatly have a purpose which becomes clearer towards the end Dance when the whole story starts moving forward again.
Dance starts slow (the first half is really the last part of Feast) but really picks up towards the end and I think ends with one of the best moments since book 1.

I like Jordan even if his last 4 books were really slow (and i mean really slow i think they covered about a 6 months in their world), he's (was) one of the best world builders in modern fantasy.

CU Radbacker

That's very interesting, and potentially good news re: Thrones.

As for Jordan, I read The Eye Of The World way back in about 1990 at the age of 18, and devoured every book after that, until I got to A Crown Of Swords, or maybe Path Of Daggers, at which point I got utterly frustrated by the ever-increasing cast of characters and plotlines, and nothing ever being resolved, to the point that I realised I didn't fucking care anymore, so I gave up.

I did have a rather mordant chuckle that he actually fucking *died* before finishing it, but I'm glad that enough work had been done to ensure it could actually be completed. I may revisit in the future.

(I think part of my waning interest was also due to my increasing interest in drugs, partying and more "sophisticated" fiction that was slightly less embarrassing to leave on one's desk or read on the tube, but now I'm old enough not to really give a fuck again)

TordelBack

That's reassuring, Radbacker, thanks for that info!  I've just started into Feast of Crows (enjoying it so far), and was a bit disprited reading those comments!  Storm of Swords definitely felt like it ended on a clear break for most characters, so that makes a lot of sense.

Devons Daddy

Unmissable TV! This is incredible. No spoliers just WOW! And the heavily Brit cast only adds to it all. Mr Sean Bean being particularly awesome.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

oshii

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 02 August, 2011, 02:44:39 PM
Does anyone know if the first series of this is likely to be shown on terrestial TV?

I suspect not.  I think the terms of Sky's deal with HBO are pretty exclusive.

Mardroid

Quote from: brendan1 on 23 November, 2011, 11:16:44 AM
As for Jordan, I read The Eye Of The World way back in about 1990 at the age of 18, and devoured every book after that, until I got to A Crown Of Swords, or maybe Path Of Daggers, at which point I got utterly frustrated by the ever-increasing cast of characters and plotlines, and nothing ever being resolved, to the point that I realised I didn't fucking care anymore, so I gave up.

While I found the slower moving plot a bit painful when first reading I still found a lot to like. Mind you, I think the world has a lot to do with that.

QuoteI did have a rather mordant chuckle that he actually fucking *died* before finishing it, but I'm glad that enough work had been done to ensure it could actually be completed. I may revisit in the future.

The new guy's done a decent job in his role as co-writer.

mogzilla

i'm glad everyone found feast for crows hard work it took me 4 months! i did put that down to being depressed but its nice to know it probably wasnt...have just started dance of dragons but skyrim's got in the way made it as far as [spoiler]the dragon's been eating kiddies[/spoiler] i must self impose a respite from the xbox so i can
a/ read books and catch up on my telly and just realised i didnt get this weeks prog! :o :-[
b/ so i can get to bed before 2am

brendan1

Quote from: mogzilla on 27 November, 2011, 06:39:26 PM
i'm glad everyone found feast for crows hard work it took me 4 months! i did put that down to being depressed but its nice to know it probably wasnt...have just started dance of dragons but skyrim's got in the way made it as far as [spoiler]the dragon's been eating kiddies[/spoiler] i must self impose a respite from the xbox so i can
a/ read books and catch up on my telly and just realised i didnt get this weeks prog! :o :-[
b/ so i can get to bed before 2am

I feel your pain.

I am 100 pages into Dance Of Dragons, almost finished Magnus Mills's "All Quiet On The Orient Express"  and Level 15 in Skyrim.

Choices choices

So Skyrim, then