The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Which party?

The ONLY party!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

-8.5 / -7.08

interesting test. debatable placing of the uk parties on the grid.

The Legendary Shark

When I did the test it said, "f*ck off, Sharky."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Remember when Labour melts responded with fury at the sexist idea of women-only train carriages?  Well, brave centrist visionary Stella Creasy has suggested an alternative: carriages where men aren't allowed.
I don't know why I ever thought these people were sectarian psychopaths.

Jim_Campbell

Immigration? Remember that? Remember how all-important the issue was in the Brexit vote?

The numbers were wrong. May, as Home Secretary, knew they were wrong and lied about it. She continued to lie about it as Prime Minister.

In case you can't get at the linked article behind the FT paywall, here's an excerpt:

The accurate figure was a shade over 4,000.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Jesus wept, who is still voting for these pricks?  And how can anyone with any sense stand by their Leave vote?  The mind boggles.

Mind you, I've just had a very strong coffee and am more angry about things than usual.  But noticing Jim's new avatar brought a smile to my face.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Modern Panther

Well, you can prove anything with "facts".  What really matters is how people feel, and who they can blame for their life not working out the way it should.  You won't find many leave voters who will happily admit to being wrong, because most of the movement was founded in irrationality.  It purposefully ignored evidence and openly told lies, creating a shallow pretense at logic which allowed people to pretend that their deep seated grievances and fears were justified, whilst being so vacuous as to but impossible to debate.

Tjm86

... and the best part about it is that it has been used as the basis for one of the most significant foreign policy decisions in decades that will have massive ramifications for future generations.  The current generation in this country has a lot to answer for.  Letting this shower in, letting them run the referendum, letting them use it as the basis of policy ...

:(

Modern Panther

Its not quite politics, but also really is, so I just wanted to share Matt Lees' short talk on video games and  culture, and how angry extremist form in purpose build echo chambers of video games and social media.

www.coolghosts.net

Theblazeuk

:| sums it all up these days. What a stupid, small minded little island we've turned out to be.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

(answering the last post on the Catalonia thread)

Catalonia has had an antonymous devolved government since the 1970s and the referendum is within their administrative powers.  Spain, however, has been attempting to ratify its constitutional powers over the region (without consulting Catalonia, which you will recall has its own government) since 2006.

Coincidentally - and I am sure this has absolutely nothing to do with Spain attempting to stop the vote - the majority of the Catalan population support independence.

Professor Bear

The 273rd mass shooting in the country this year (no joke) has now been declared the worst in US history.  So far.  This year.
To commemorate this unforeseeable tragedy that nothing could stop, The Onion has released its traditional mass shooting headline.

TordelBack

The Boy and I were throwing some numbers around on our morning run today (for some reason I find running encourages mathematical speculation), and came to the conclusion that if the EU had the same rate of mass-shootings as the USA, there'd have been 600 here this year so far, with over 750 dead and 2,500 injured.  That's more than two massacres a day, or the equivalent of a Bataclan every couple of months. 

So despite the shamefully unarmed civilian population, teeming no-go Sharia Law boroughs, vast swarms of unarrestable Syrian rape gangs and entire dinghy-borne ISIS battalions crossing the Med dressed as toddlers, we still somehow keep a lid on the actual mass-slaughter. 

And this doesn't even begin to get at aggregate non-massacre gun deaths, or even just police shootings.

Grow up, you f*cking idiots.

Professor Bear

You don't understand, TB: if more Europeans had guns, there would be even less shootings.