Main Menu

I say take Dredds helmet off and be damned.

Started by Tarantino, 05 March, 2003, 04:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

The longer it stays on the more iconic it becomes and the more difficult to remove.  It also raises strong feelings in people as seen above.

I'd disagree that we are not supposed to relate to Dredd with regards to what he is thinking and feeling, and he has become much more than a facist thug over the years.  Several stories where his 'softer' side has been shown have, in my opinion, been some of the strongest.  Who doesn't remember his personal struggles and the wearing of 'tight boots'.

I don't mind if the helmet is removed in either the comic or the film, where it is appropriate.  And conversely it should remain on when appropriate, i.e. in the field and for ceremonial purposes(this should carry for all judges - it is unrealistic when female judges do not wear this protective gear) .  As stated above, JD with helmet on while on the can is the perfect case in point of this being taken too far.  This reduces the continued representation of Dredd with helmet to near farcical levels.  I also think that there is a whole avenue of stories that could be told, and told better, if the helmet was removed.

'And while I'm on the subject, lets tone down the shoulder pads, they are way to big, In fact his whole costume could do with an upgrade and again, why not? Why does he have to stay the same for the next 25 years?' - There is nothing wrong with a periodic update of the uniform, and this should be carried out to reflect the changes in Dredd's world, both due to technological advances and the perceived threats that they are facing at that time.  Other characters change their style over the years, Batman for example.

And Clooney - hmmmm, not too bad a choice.  Bit small though, not quite imposing enough for me.

WoD.

Proudhuff

Lets have a poll! I say the helmet stays on, even upside doon!!

Huff Daddy
DDT did a job on me

esoteric ed

"Especially if it's going to be the Bisley "Vincent Price/sex offender" version"

Ha that gave me a laugh...

JUDGE for yourselves...

Edhttp://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1749214.jpg">

Richmond Clements

'I'd disagree that we are not supposed to relate to Dredd with regards to what he is thinking and feeling, and he has become much more than a facist thug over the years. Several stories where his 'softer' side has been shown have, in my opinion, been some of the strongest. Who doesn't remember his personal struggles and the wearing of 'tight boots'.'

Fair point. You got me thinking about some of my favorite stories, and most of the best one- offs are 'soft' Dredd stories. I'm thinking in particular of the episode McGruder dies, which I think is one of the best written and moving stories to grace the comic.

Link: rac

Oddboy

Dredd's flat's been broken into while he's in the bath, he's been attacked while he's on the toilet... makes perfect sense for someone hated by the majority of the city (especially for someone with a very high bounty on him) to wear a helmet at all times.
Better set your phaser to stun.

WoD

Well, hmmmm, maybe a better lock on his door would help.  But, your argument does make it even more essential that ALL Judges should wear the full uniform when on duty.

Trout

IIRC, he wasn't wearing his tin hat in the bath, but he was when he was on the cludgie.

The lavvy one was just a cover image, done for shock value, but the story didn't actually show Dredd on the bog. He put his boots on the floor so the crooks he'd clocked on the way in would shoot through the wrong door.

Dredd has taken his helmet off several times, usually as a decoy, and sometimes even allowed people to see his face.

One example was the idiot burglars from out of town who broke into Rowdy Yates Conapts. (Quick aside: lovely Baikie art on that one, eh?)

Or how about the blind lady who got to feel Dredd's face as she died. Did that happen or did I dream it?

The issue is not whether he takes it off.
The issue is: when will we see his face?
I say never.

- Trout

Trout

"was the idiot burglars from out of town who broke into Rowdy Yates Conapts"

ie the "in the bath" episode.

The panel cut off Dredd's face, but the crooks saw it.

- Trout

Richmond Clements

of course he doesn't wear the helmet in the bath: he has to wash his hair.

Link: rac

Oddboy

Or how about the blind lady who got to feel Dredd's face as she died. Did that happen or did I dream it?

Not a dream O King - it was in the final Vol 2 megazine - which I read for the first time a couple of weeks ago after a sucessful trip to eBay.
Better set your phaser to stun.

W. R. Logan

Could be this Meg:

Face of Justice.
Meg 2.83
Script: Robbie Morrison
Artist: Steve Sampsonhttp://www.2000adonline.com/covers/megazine/mediumres/2.83.jpg">

Proudhuff

King Trouty and subjects!

Did you know there is a real Rowdy Yates in Scotland? and he works with Drug reseach or some fink At Stirling Uni? My Bro worked in the MacRobert so he checked it out after I thought I'd, ahem, dreamed it all up.

Uselessinfo Grant.
DDT did a job on me

Trout

Thanks, chaps! I have that Meg and will dig it out.

- Trout

Smiley

There's a bit in Morrison & McKean's Arkham Asylum that sums it up for me. Batman's captured, one slow witted hood suggests removing the mask, the Joker snaps back with something like "Stop being so predictable, that is his face."

James

I reckon do it subtely.

Dredd's called to Hershey's office for a meeting with a bunch of gold star other Judges, one of which is the new Rico, who, like most other Judges when in normal conversation, has his helmet off. We therefore get to see what he looks(looked) like, but without spoiling the tradition of keeping his face hidden.