Main Menu

Want to get women into comics?

Started by Last of the V8's, 05 March, 2003, 07:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last of the V8's

If you want to get the female of the species into comic books then some enterprising company needs to start publishing an Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emerdale, Brookside, Crossroads, Neighbours etc. line of books.
Sales would go through the roof especially if they were tied into a BIG soap event. Death of doo da, return of thingmy etc.

esoteric ed

Hillman the Assasin

Ken Normal

Dot Gunderson

I don't really watch much soap tv, but there must be some amusing TV/2000ad crossovers...?

Ed

Oddboy

Well Si Spencer (author of The Creep in the Megazine) crossed-over to become an Eastenders scripter - so he'd be the most likely guy to bully into it.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Queen Firey-Bou

oooo you cheeky poops !

we don't all watch soapamolas huh?!

wanna help us girls get into comix? well get off yur arses & help out more with chores & breadwinning & everything, so we've got more time to do happy happy joy joy like comixy stuff.

sincerely the overworked & nevah supported only leaned on righeous Bou'.

Wils

This may be slightly obvious, but there's always The Girly Comic.

The link to the site seems a tad dead at the mo, but  I found this review.

"I am Spon."

Link: http://www.bahala-na.co.uk/articles/girlyrev.htm" target="_blank">The Girly Comic

WoD

Actually, No I don't think there ever was an 'amusing' 2000ad/tv (or popular culture) crossover.  Plenty of crossovers, just none of them really amusing.

As for getting other people into comics, I had some success with the wife with Vertigo's 'Egypt', don't know if this was ever released in a G/N format though.  I've totally failed with everthing else though.

Matt Timson

"wanna help us girls get into comix? well get off yur arses & help out more with chores & breadwinning & everything, so we've got more time to do happy happy joy joy like comixy stuff."

Bah!  Back to the kitchen with you, woman!

you do realise i'm just kiddin', right?

Pffft...

moly

i dont think it really matters if you want to get women, kids etc, name me a single new british comic that has survived in the last 10 years

Trout

Well, there was a Stronty Dog character called Vera Duckworth. :-)

This has got bad 90s publicity-grabbing effort all over it, hasn't it?

Judge Ogden, anyone?
Brrrr....

- Trout

Art

Bah. I've fought that war already. The 90s went by in a blur of lending Sandman and Shade The Changing man to female friends. In the end I reached the conclusion that women DO read comics, they just don't buy there own. And if they did buy their own that fragile ecological niche for the geeky cool comics evangelist guy (accessories: "cool" comics, "cool" Indy music, "cool" T-shirt collection. Possibly resembles character drawn by Philip Bond) would totally evaporate as they would have no tokens of exchange for their mating rituals, thus leading to world wide eco-catastrophe and a slump in sales of Roykksop CDs. Don't do it.

WoD

I've remembered one that a female friend borrowed and liked, I think it was called 'Blood'.  However, they returned it after using it as a tea-coaster.  Never again!

Proudhuff

Bring back the 'The Four Marys' in GN form, but with a Red/Cosmo slant, ( god knows what GR's mind will make of that!). Do you know how condescending that 'wimmin love soaps' attitude is?

Also a female lead who isn't a w*nk fan-tasty for Fan boys would be a start...

Do I hear a can of worms opening...

Middenpus

DDT did a job on me

Queen Firey-Bou

well to be fair , some male leads are... well generally not my type, but not exactly average bloke next door dweebs.
 I don't object to female characters being fan-boy-drool-cliches, as i've decided most guys can only comprehend us gals in a 2D cliched archetype pigeon holed manner anywey..(tonight mathew i'm going to be the fiesty feminist who needs a good seeing to)..yeah but as long as the characters are not made to be....oh you know...bored already (& now i will be the predatory vamp)

Proudhuff

'well to be fair , some male leads are... well generally not my type, but not exactly average bloke next door dweebs'

...but with one exception they don't run aboot in their scants!, Scants is good, but after nei-yon twenty years it gets a ....well.. yawn

The oldest Grumper in Town
DDT did a job on me

Trout

INCREDIBLY SEXIST FISH ALERT!

The best way to get women into comics is to hire Ian Gibson to draw 'em.

Hurr, hurr, hurr!

:-) Just kidding, ladies!
I support your anti-sexist stance. Honest.

- Trout