Main Menu

GQ: How 2000ad Predicted The Future

Started by Frank, 27 April, 2014, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 July, 2020, 06:56:45 PM
I have a huge confession to make.  I've never seen BTTF.
Always meant to get round to it and never did.  I know the story of the first one in detail, and that's from a mixture of reading the free picture booklet with Ready Brek and my friends excitedly explaining it.  Sorry, everyone, not cool, I know.

Well remembered - that tale of time travelling thirty years into the past was released 35 years ago (as were the ready brek booklets).

JayzusB.Christ

It stands out particularly in my memory as a mate of my brother's cut it up and used the photos to illustrate his own sequel to BTTF, called Back to the Past.  It had exactly the same plot as the first one, except everyone was older (but physically unchanged, judging by the photos - even the elderly Biff had become a school bully again, and looked like he did when he was a teenager).

Imagine our complete lack of surprise when the real sequel turned out to be set in the future.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Thinking of the scene from Judge Dredd: Origins in which Booth is seen talking in vague terms about the need to dispose of his troublesome aide.

Turns out that this is dangerously prefiguring Trump according to Cohen who is writing a book about his experiences:

Quotehe knew that Trump was like a 'mob boss' who would never directly order a hit but instead spoke in a way 'carefully calibrated to convey his desires and demands.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8625259/Cohen-reveals-contents-bombshell-book-Trump-saying-witnessed-golden-showers-tax-fraud.html

:o

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 14 October, 2020, 11:53:30 PM
The Flaming Lips play a gig where everybody in the audience (and most of the band) are in bubbles.

Boing®

Wayne Flips has been playing in abubble for years. This one has been coming!

Haven't seen the Flips in years, must try to sort that out.

sheridan

sheridan

Leigh S

A population so docile and infantilised that they will happily overlook their leaders being responsible for mass deaths and still vote them in, despite knowing full well what they did and will do? 

The Corinthian

Quote from: Leigh S on 28 May, 2021, 05:35:58 PM
A population so docile and infantilised that they will happily overlook their leaders being responsible for mass deaths and still vote them in, despite knowing full well what they did and will do?

Tbf there were plenty of examples of that in the real world even before Judge Dredd first appeared.

Tjm86

... and once again we find that Tharg was years ahead of the game:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/feb/17/privatising-moon-economists-advocate

Pretty much all of Dredd's moon marshall service tales based around this IIRC.  The classic Bolland Moon Rush episode?

Then there was Loonies Moon with Ron Smith on art duty.

How many others were there?

paddykafka

I believe Dredd has made his feelings on this subject quite clear in the past.

But we do things differently here in Murphyville.  :)

https://www.thejournal.ie/beards-guards-inspector-dublin-tidy-it-up-5726948-Mar2022/

Art

I, Cosh

We never really die.