Main Menu

Battle picture Weekly

Started by vzzbux, 31 August, 2009, 08:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

On the off chance I sauntered into WH Smiths with my son to get him his weekly comic, I got him the Clone Wars as I am starting to get sick of Spongebob, and looking down I spotted BATTLE picture weekly souvenir special. I didn't think twice on picking this up. I know I am going to enjoy this trip down memory lane.

Quit surprised no one has picked up on this. Also does anyone know if there is any more planned in the future, ie Hotspur etc. If not which other oldies do you lot think they should bring back as a special.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Grant Goggans

There was a thread about this months back - Misty is next up, in September, and I think Buster at Christmas.

vzzbux

I think I will give Misty a miss.

V
Drokking since 1972

Martin Jameson

I bought it last week from Smiths too!

And what a treat it was! Only problem is that there is not more, I could read all these again every month.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: vzzbux on 31 August, 2009, 09:10:10 PM
I think I will give Misty a miss.

That was my first thought when the titles were first announced but the more I look into that era the more I think I might give it a shot. By all accounts there was a lot of awfully good writers and artists taking advantage of the less gung ho nature of girls comics to tell some very fondly remembered stories.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that at 4 times a year (assuming they continue) I can afford to support this. You never know, enough of a response might give them a shove to get some of these old clasics  back into print. I'd be well up for a regular reprint title. (wishful thinking I know but what the hell, a man can dream)
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

I, Cosh

Quote from: vzzbux on 31 August, 2009, 08:47:28 PM
On the off chance I sauntered into WH Smiths with my son to get him his weekly comic, I got him the Clone Wars as I am starting to get sick of Spongebob, and looking down I spotted BATTLE picture weekly souvenir special. I didn't think twice on picking this up. I know I am going to enjoy this trip down memory lane.

Quit surprised no one has picked up on this. Also does anyone know if there is any more planned in the future, ie Hotspur etc. If not which other oldies do you lot think they should bring back as a special.
http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,25398.0.html
We never really die.

Grant Goggans

I've got the first fifteen issues of Misty, and giving that summer special a miss would be a very silly thing to do.  It's great stuff.  I'll be lobbying for a collected edition of the Guv'nor's "Moonchild" serial at Reprint This! one of these days.

maryanddavid

If anyone sees this can they buy a copy and post to me?! Please!   Bloody thing isint distributed in Ireland.  Paypal at the ready.

David

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 31 August, 2009, 10:34:48 PM
I've got the first fifteen issues of Misty, and giving that summer special a miss would be a very silly thing to do.  It's great stuff.  I'll be lobbying for a collected edition of the Guv'nor's "Moonchild" serial at Reprint This! one of these days.

There you have it. I speak from third hand hearsay but if you can't trust Grants word I don't know whose you can.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

M.I.K.

Quote from: maryanddavid on 31 August, 2009, 11:36:21 PM
If anyone sees this can they buy a copy and post to me?! Please!   Bloody thing isint distributed in Ireland.  Paypal at the ready.

David

It's apparently going to be available direct from Egmont's website after it's been on sale in W H Smiths.

Having two older sisters who used to buy Misty and having fond memories of reading some of the (sometimes utterly freaky) stories in the annuals,(most of which I now own myself), the Misty special is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

I, Cosh

Quote from: maryanddavid on 31 August, 2009, 11:36:21 PM
If anyone sees this can they buy a copy and post to me?! Please!   Bloody thing isint distributed in Ireland.  Paypal at the ready.
You can have mine if you want. Just PM your address.
We never really die.

Sefton Disney

The Misty re-print is the one I'm most looking forward to, as well. I've developed a real interest in the British girls' comics of the 1970s and 80s over the past couple of years, especially the 2000AD-related ones. They've been rather overshadowed by the likes of Action! And 2000AD, but the little I've managed to read of them has been very impressive. It would be really nice to see Egmont, Titan or Rebellion publish some quality re-prints from the era.

M.I.K.

Scenes from a girls' comic...

One of my favourite bits from the Misty annuals is an article called "Make your own Shrunken Head" that contains the line "cut it in half from chin to crown with a sharp knife (ask a grown-up to do this bit for you)".

vzzbux

I stand corrected. I was expecting mushy girls stuff (pah I hate girls me), but I suppose with the calibre of writers and artists I suppose I should have Known better.

V
Drokking since 1972

maryanddavid

Your a gent Cosh, PM sent.

David