Main Menu

Transformers Comics

Started by W. R. Logan, 28 May, 2011, 07:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

No probs, Cthuloius.

Yeah, all of IDW's 'generation 1' stuff can be taken as it's own continuity. Even if it doesn't seem terribly cohesive at times. If you've read All Hail, that'll give you a good grounding for Wreckers.

To make sense of who Verity is, though, you might want to check out 'Transformers: Infiltration' and its sequels, written by Simon Furman.

I maintain to this day that Infiltration is the best Transformers book Simon's ever written, and it has a nice modern feel to it.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Cthulouis

Quote from: HdE on 01 June, 2011, 07:30:24 AM
... Even if it doesn't seem terribly cohesive at times.

Yeah, I got that just from All Hail Megatron. That story seemed to make a big deal out of the sudden development of Combiner teams leading to a tip in the balance of war, but then in the flash backs later on we see they already had combiner teams before everything hit the fan.

Still, I think I shall be checking out this Last Stand comic. Thanks!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: HdE on 01 June, 2011, 07:30:24 AMI maintain to this day that Infiltration is the best Transformers book Simon's ever written, and it has a nice modern feel to it.
I agree with that. I loved the camouflage nature of the TFs and the Decepticons being more about subterfuge than the giant idiots they were for much of the original US Marvel run. It's a pity IDW did its usual thing with the series (crap out as many comics as possible, in as short a space of time as possible), because it took a really great foundation and screwed it up, with too many inconsistencies and too many weak stories. Dumping another version on top of them all (presumably trying to make Furman happy) seems overkill.

HdE

Heh! All I'll say to that is that I feel the books so far all have their strengths - although there have been a few noticeably shaky efforts lately, in my opinion.

Infiltration is a special book for me. It was literally the first comic book I read in something like 15 years, and it blew me away. You had this quite ridiculous franchise, and suddenly - BOOM! A really clever, mature take on it that actually MADE SENSE and presented itself as a sci-fi story first and foremost.

Oh, one thing for Cthulouis: That point about the supposed inconsistency in combiner tech in the books? It's actually explained in the Transformers Spotlight series. I think the Optimus Prime one-shot establishes that there was at least one combiner team before Devastator. Those spotlights are absolutely GREAT. A real shame that IDW have ditched the format.

It's true that there are a few gaffes in continuity and consistency within the books, but some of them aren't *actually* gaffes, if you see what I mean?

If I seem a little enthusiastic for these books, it's probably coz they're about the closest things I have to 'must buy' books. I enjoys mah massif robutz!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/