Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Zenith is an absolute favorite of mine, Morrison's best work, and Yeowell's crowning gem. Looking forward to hearing what you lads have to say, and can't wait for a Flesh episode having just gnawed my way through the Dino Files.

Tony Angelino

I loved Zenith when it first appeared. I had been around since Prog 1 (on and off) but felt the comic was starting to get a bit stale. Zenith gave it a real boost and for me Phase 1 remains the best work of both Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell. I don't think the subsequent books live up to it. There was a bit of fun though in spotting the old comic characters I suppose.

I'm enjoying the podcast.

sheridan

I can't remember exactly if I liked or disliked the first book (sorry, phase) of Zenith, but I certainly remember being confused.  Each episode seemed to jump around from the previous, though when I read it now I can't see why I got confused...

Fungus

Knew Zenith would appear imminently...
Thing is I haven't read the early stuff since the 80's (just phase 4 on a slog recently) but remember a Morrison/Yeowell signing at FP Glasgow at the time. My abiding memory is that one wore a black shirt, the other looked ridiculously similar, but with polka dots. Back then, that kind of shit was important. Hm, fashion. No interest in buying reprints, will re-read the progs in my own good time, fank-yew-very-much  ;)

Enjoying the 'casts Eamonn, midway through Scarlet Traces. Adore d'Israeli and will pick up the rest when Rebellion reprint those. Keep up the excellent work, etc  :)

james newell

loved the talk on black hole mission book 3 & 4 check this out!, possibility the original art that got Bisley the job, look at top right robot and child at this link, I found it it years ago and passed it on "simonbisleyart.com" for confirmation:
http://www.simonbisleyart.com/galleries/beginnings-of-bisley/

sheridan

Quote from: james newell on 05 September, 2016, 10:27:25 PM
loved the talk on black hole mission book 3 & 4 check this out!, possibility the original art that got Bisley the job, look at top right robot and child at this link, I found it it years ago and passed it on "simonbisleyart.com" for confirmation:
http://www.simonbisleyart.com/galleries/beginnings-of-bisley/
Some interesting pictures there - if they all pre-date his tooth work then it looks like Pineapples' jacket was nicked from that robot near the bottom of the page!

Eamonn Clarke

A special episode for the release date of Steve MacManus' memoir of his time in the Nerve Centre's hot seat.

Will Cooling, who has written the 2000AD retrospective article in this month's Geeky Monkey magazine, joins me in a cramped seventies office version of the book club to talk about comics before, during and after the golden age of 2000AD.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/mega-city-book-club-10-mighty-one.html

Eamonn Clarke

Just to note that I don't think Will's interview with Steve MacManus is out yet. I'll post a link when it appears.

Will Cooling

Yeah I've spoke to Steve MacManus - just waiting for it to go up on the website.

Hope everybody enjoyed the episode - I had a great time talking to Eamonn and the book is a very enjoyable read.
Formerly WIll@The Nexus

Eamonn Clarke

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/mega-city-book-club-11-chopper-song-of.html

Episode 11 and Supersurf 11!
The book club becomes a surf shack with Glen Lees bringing along one of the definitive Chopper tales.

There are spoilers fairly early on for a dramatic ending, so beware if you haven't read this one yet.

Eamonn Clarke

And I can answer one of the questions already, the cover for the Fleetway/Titan trade paperback was an original piece by Colin MacNeil and is up on comicartfans.com belonging to Mike Holman.

It's stunning and I really hope it's hanging on a wall and not hidden away in a folder.

JayzusB.Christ

Just started listening to these podcasts - amazing stuff.  The Mighty One / Zenith ones were excellent; the ABC Warriors one was just sublime.  Looking forward to the Chopper one.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 September, 2016, 11:36:16 AM
Just started listening to these podcasts - amazing stuff.  The Mighty One / Zenith ones were excellent; the ABC Warriors one was just sublime.  Looking forward to the Chopper one.

Cheers, JBC. Appreciate it.

AlexF

Yeah, that ABCs Warriors episode was very informative. In light of Julius's passionate fury about the maltreatment of SMS's artwork, I wonder if we'll get a better reprint one day? I immediately looked in my copy of the Mek Files, and thought the production values were pretty great - so the 'proper' version must be amazing!

Pete Wells

Is it wrong that I have just listened to the Button Man podcast to that I was on, I laughed at all my jokes and ended up nodding in  agreement with myself on several occasions?