Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Just got back from GOTG 2.
It's good, very good, and the 3-D is probably the best I have seen in a cinema. It's very much like VR in places, enough to give me slight motion sickness.
Goes on about 20 minutes too long in my opinion and they really are taking these epilogues a bit too far (3 I think).
Went with the missus and my (soon to be) 13 year old and we all enjoyed it.
Probably not as good as the first. Soundtrack very good, but again, not as good as the first.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 May, 2017, 11:17:13 AM

Really, I could go on and on about this particular genre, it pickles my fancy so very much, and this is before we even get into the euro-crime subgenre (though both WHTDTS? and WHTDTYD? are crossovers in this regard, particularly the later) but for now, i'd say these are good entry points for some of the none Argento or Bava Snr. titles.

Much thanks! Great to have more movies to check out from fans who've seen a lot.

JoFox2108

I just saw a Sci-Fi film called "Transcendence" (2014) this weekend.  It was on TV a short while back here in the UK.  It's essentially a story about building an AI using a biological neural map. The subject seemed pretty interesting so I recorded it on the TiVo but when I came to watch it I realised that it had Johnny Depp in it.  Now I thought he was great as Jack Sparrow but I didn't really want to see that same act with another name so I nearly didn't watch it.  I'm so glad I gave it a go.  Depp was excellent, so much so that I felt bad for having doubted him.  What really got me was that there was a twist which I didn't see coming at all.  I won't say more but I think it was real!y worth watching - I'm still thinking about the implications of it days later.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

QuoteIt's all a deep end.

SIP

CrazyFoxMachine

Best in Show

A more nuanced and carefully structured mockumentary than Guest's Guffman and all the stronger for it. The gradual merging of the storylines is brilliantly paced and the film sparkles with dozens of excellently observed characters. Genuinely a bit magical.

SIP

Yup, Best in show is fantastic.

Buttonman

Don't start namin' nuts now!

Brazil.

Colin YNWA

I have two left feet. No literally, I have two left feet.

CrazyFoxMachine

Kuky se vracĂ­

An extremely endearing bit of Czech cinema magic that really needs a ton more exposure. An asthmatic child is forced to throw away his teddy bear and on escaping the tip the little straw-stuffed feller gets entangled in a forest adventure. It's absurdly physical - like Ghibli and Pixar artists fannying around in the trees with puppets. The little contraptions and fungal caricatures are astounding, the scenery teems with insects and animal life. The caper is brilliant fun and there's an elegant message about aging and acceptance running underneath all of it that makes it irresistible. Seriously - find it, see it. The Czech DVD/Blu-Ray release has English subtitles YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE.

Professor Bear

Caravan Of Courage partly because it was Star Wars Day, but mainly because I watch a lot of shite.
I have officially seen this more times than I have seen The Force Awakens and I'm not that bothered that this is the case.  It's quite episodic, possibly as a consequence of its tv roots, and some of the dialogue and plotting is next-level bad, but more in a "it's for kids" kind of way than objectively terrible.  The big rat/wolf thing that looks like a Spitting Image caricature of Jimmy Nail is terrifying, though, and some of the backscreen shots of giants chasing people in the foreground are pretty impressive.  For some reason I found the killer spiders adorable - possibly because of the clearly-visible strings holding them up.
The Ewoks themselves are more creepy and scary than I remember - especially their crazy cannibal teeth and shark-like eyes - but overall, this reminded me of an episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, which is... good.  I guess.

DKCX

What We Do in the Shadows 2014
A documentary team films the lives of a group of vampires for a few months. The vampires share a house in Wellington, New Zealand. Turns out vampires have their own domestic problems too.

Really great comedy that nobody knows about, well worth a watch....vampires and quirky New Zealand humour that works so well!
Hope they follow up with a sequel!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

There's a sequel in production. It's called We're Wolves
You may quote me on that.

DKCX

The Guest 2014
A soldier introduces himself to the Peterson family, claiming to be a friend of their son who died in action. After the young man is welcomed into their home, a series of accidental deaths seem to be connected to his presence.

Better than I expected, Dan Stevens was very impressive in it and is truly odd yet mesmerizing in some of his scenes.

Great News on the follow up We're Wolves, the scene between the vampires and wolves was hilarious!
Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi are involved in other recommended moves Boy, Eagle versus Shark and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
Great thread, I'm working back through the whole lot (Page 704) and drawing up a list of movies that everyone has recommended.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: DKCX on 05 May, 2017, 11:47:11 PM
Great thread, I'm working back through the whole lot (Page 704) and drawing up a list of movies that everyone has recommended.

Not as monumental a task as it sounds actually as I imagine at least 150 pages are taken up with Prometheus discussion

Colin YNWA

Quote from: DKCX on 05 May, 2017, 11:47:11 PM

Be interesting to see what you've picked out from here if you fancy sharing?