General Chat > Creative Common

Lettering with Illustrator: A Guide to Download!

<< < (9/10) > >>

Jim_Campbell:
Dash it all!

Quick, but hopefully informative, blog post about giving your SFX a dashed outline for extra emphasis and a bit of an old-school vibe… :-)

No, really, it IS a new blog post!

Cheers

Jim

Professor Bear:
I have to do several panels of characters talking Pashtun and I'm tempted to just put the word "gibberish" in each balloon, but have concerns that this might break the fourth wall for readers, and obviously it doesn't convey tone of voice* - so does anyone have thoughts on methods of portraying someone talking in another language?  I have seen panels where the text in the balloons is presented fully as untranslated text - or pictograms - and then subtitles pasted along the bottom of the panel, but this seems like it might be an unnecessary waste of space to me unless you have specific aims of replicating a filmic quality to the stroytelling, as it arguably forces the scene into a particular pacing.

* tellingly, "cultural insensitivity" is not on my list of concerns.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 25 July, 2013, 11:47:31 AM ---I have to do several panels of characters talking Pashtun and I'm tempted to just put the word "gibberish" in each balloon, but have concerns that this might break the fourth wall for readers, and obviously it doesn't convey tone of voice* - so does anyone have thoughts on methods of portraying someone talking in another language?
--- End quote ---

Blambot has a very nice selection of 'gibberish' fonts that I've frequently deployed for dialogue that's supposed to be unintelligible for any reason…

Cheers!

Jim

Hawkmumbler:
Thanks Jim, this'll come in handy when I can finally start my webcomic. :D

Jim_Campbell:
Just as a follow-up to Bear's two-year-old question about dialogue in a foreign language, on the (really rather good) Burning Fields for BOOM, I was asked to mimic Deron Bennett's approach from Hacktivist, which looks like this:

Cheers

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version