Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2021

Started by Dash Decent, 14 August, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 November, 2020, 03:57:14 PM
Let's distract ourselves from all this nastiness with some very good news from the mighty John Wagner's Facebook feed.

QuoteJohn Wagner
I've just finished a 6 part Dredd for John Higgins - "Now That's What I Call Justice!" - though I don't know when it will run. Hope that suffices for the moment.

See isn't it nicer to think about that!

Oooh!

Leigh S

Compare and contrast!  Looking forward to this muchly!

JayzusB.Christ

Let's distract ourselves from all this nastiness with some very good news from the mighty John Wagner's Facebook feed.

QuoteJohn Wagner
I've just finished a 6 part Dredd for John Higgins - "Now That's What I Call Justice!" - though I don't know when it will run. Hope that suffices for the moment.

Yay! 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

dweezil2

QuoteJohn Wagner

Drokking get in!!!!  :D :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That Wagner fella's a class act
You may quote me on that.

Rately

QuoteJohn Wagner

Fantastic!

Link Prime

Quote from: Leigh S on 20 November, 2020, 04:02:53 PM
Do  you read the Megazine LP? 

Yeah, and I must admit that the current line-up is very good.

Will likely be a sporadic purchase going forward - probably digitally.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Mister Pops on 24 November, 2020, 07:05:37 PM
That Wagner fella's a class act

Absolutely! How lucky we are to have the best writer on Earth in our corner of interest. He can do it all. Just hearing the words "Wagner" and "Dredd" in a sentence makes peace on Earth way more likely.

Total Rookie

QuoteJohn Wagner

Wow...  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Sounds prog...

The Adventurer

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 November, 2020, 11:09:02 AM
REALLY big call to make, but I have just made the decision to cancel my 2000AD standing order with my LCS, as of Prog 2212.
It had been building for a while, but the die is now cast.

Three key reasons:

Dredd as a character is done for me. I've lost interest entirely.

In general the stories run this year were, in my opinion, poor. Some weeks I was reading as little as 6 pages out of 30. I would genuinely rather re-read the worst of the "nadir years" ('93 - '96) than the class of 2020.

The "Regened" all ages stuff just ain't for me. The news that they are once again devoting 8% of next years Prog's to it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I will keep an eye out for collections that interest me, but no point habitually buying something I don't enjoy anymore, even if that habit span 38 years.

Counter argument.

1. Dredd's been a hoot and a half this year.
2. This year has been one of the strongest for me in the last couple of years. Great new strips this year especially.
3. Because I don't sub I just skip buying the Regens when they don't interest me. They seem harmless enough, 8% of the year's output is hardly a road bump if it means making 2000 AD a tad more visible.

2020 2000 AD has been a gas, looking forward to what 2021 brings (hopefully more Brink and Full Tilt Boogie)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Also, aren't ReGen Progs double length? So 4 ReGen Progs a year means subscribers are getting the equivalent of 4 extra Progs a year

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

broodblik

Adventurer I agree with all your points but I think that many people does not like the regen prog being part of the regular prog. After a few bumpy ones this year I actually warmed-up to the regen prog being part of the normal run
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Although the direction is admittedly different, I do find it ironic that the strongest anti-Regen arguments are from people who want the Prog to revert to back how it was when they were kids. (Not saying Link Prime made that point, note.)

As for size, they're not quite double-length. A standard Prog is, what, 32? Regeneds have been 48/52. For subscribers, there's no price increase, so they're getting more pages for the same outlay, which if you like two thirds of what's in there means you come out even.

broodblik

The cover for the digitally only Armoured Gideon:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

What did Sean Phillips do with Armoured Gideon?

Edit to anwser my own question: Looks like something from the 92 Sci-fi Special - thinking it was a text story now.