Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: I love writing about green monsters

Started by broodblik, 01 June, 2022, 04:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Another British talent lost to the comic empires over the Atlantic Ocean. He is the man whom re-invented the green monstrosity the "Hulk". We are talking about Al Ewing. Before he left for greener pastures, he started having an influence on the prog with his unique story-telling ability. So simple question which was his best story for the prog/meg:
-   his Dredd stories
-   his short stories (Terror Tales, Future Shocks)
-   Damnation Station
-   Zombo
-   Zaucer of Zilk
-   Tempest
-   Dead Signal
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Colin YNWA

He did give good Dredd but as we have lots of other good to great Dredd writers I miss

Zombo

more

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

His Dredd is the only work for the prog I've though was exceptional. He really found his voice in the US.

SBT

AlexF

I'm inclined to agree - he knows his way around a great Marvel comic, does Al Ewing.

IndigoPrime

All of his work was at least readable. Zaucer was wonderfully inventive and different. Zombo was fun and very silly. But his Dredd was something else — as close as we've got to Wagner without any actual Wagner, with the now possibly exception of a certain Mr N. (Other Dredd scribes are great too, but they have a very different feel to their writing.)

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Specifically, Zombo in Dredd (The Immigrant, SFS25).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

I don't really remember which Dredd's were his part from Bullet to King Four and Trifecta, but they are quite possibly the two greatest non-Wagner Dredd's ever.

And yeah Zombo was good too.

AlexF

He did a couple of Xmas Prog Dredds that are all-time great: the one where the first part is told in 1977 style, which has a part 2 in the 'present day' (Where the main villain is called, of course, Frankie Scentz') - and the one that is a choose your own adventure where you can either follow the perp, and skip from panel to panel, or follow Dredd and read it like a normal comic, and it works both ways.

I also love 'Rehab', where Dredd meets a counterpart from a dimension where everyone is nice all the time...

JayzusB.Christ

His Dredd stuff, by miles. In my humble opinion, he's written some of the best Dredd one-offs ever, including Wagner ones.   I love how he brought back MC1 as massive playground for madness and violence and, despite it all, great fun. I miss him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik