Main Menu

The Art of 2000AD?

Started by The Amstor Computer, 04 May, 2004, 03:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Over the years there have been a number of fairly successful books collecting classic covers (Sandman, Preacher) or sketches and other unseen art (Hellboy).

In light of the news about the DC publishing deal, would boarders be interested in something like this, featuring classic 2000AD covers & art?

I imagine a fairly hefty collection, featuring landmark covers - the first issue, anniversaries, first appearances of classic characters - as well as star scans, specials & reprint covers. Perhaps include notes from the artists who worked on these images or the editorial droids who commissioned them, along the lines of the "your favourite cover" feature in a recent Christmas prog.

How about it? Would you buy a book that reprinted these images in all their glory?

Prog 169
Prog 204
Prog 228
Prog 661
Complete JD 37
ABC Warriors Book 2
Song of the Surfer
The Judge Child Book 1
Rogue Trooper Book 2
Star Scan 561
http://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?Comic=scans&choice=571">Star Scan 571

opaque

I love the idea but in my mind the problem is you have to have the bad with the good and if you're going to do it you need to do it all.
And what a tome that would be.

Max Kon

at first i thought u were talking about wyatt

Floyd-the-k

I like the idea. Any collection would be controversial with a fair few people.  But there have been so many good covers and so much good art that I`m sure you could assemble more than one good book from them.
  Never mind the book, what about the tshirts?

Dudley

I wouldn't buy it, but it sounds like a nice idea.

MYSON

Hiya -

I agree with you that there should definitely be an Art of 2000AD book - I would certainly rush out and buy it. However, as someone who has already pitched a project of this type to Rebellion and been knocked back because they have been producing one "in-house", I reckon there is already one in the works.

The proposal I sent was based upon the template of the Art of Mad book that was published about two years ago, devoting a two or three page spread to individual artists and their work. Dave Gibbons alongside Brian Bolland alongside Carlos Ezquerra alongside Steve Dillon, Mike McMahon, Ron Smith, Cam Kennedy, Colin Wilson, Kevin O'Neill...I'm salivating just thinking about it!

Let's hope it comes out soon!

The Amstor Computer

That's very interesting - Jamie, if you're listening, can you comment on this?

JamieB

Yeah. I'm bloody busy, so anything like this is a ways off one way or another!

J-Bo-108-BOOKS-IN-3-YEARS-FOR-GOODNESS'-SAKE-1

Dudley

Only 108?

Slacker-Bo more like...

;)

Oddboy

Wouldn't buy one myself - much rather J-Bo focussed on the complete Dante books!
Better set your phaser to stun.

DavidXBrunt

This idea has come up before, but I'll say it again, if the right sort of art book was available I'd buy it. But like Odders says, I'd rather have the complete Dante.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=fan&page=poll&choice=1060707491" target="_blank">Cover art book - vote now!

The Amstor Computer

Heh - sorry Jamie. I'll let you get back to your torment :-)

opaque

Well another way round a bit of this having the covers printed as giant posters ;)
Then it wouldn't be Jamie's thing!

W. R. Logan

>How about it? Would you buy a book that reprinted these images in all their glory?

Nope

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

OldOne

Have to say, I kind of like the idea in a 'would like it to exist, bit wouldn't buy it myself' sorta way.

I've always found working sketches, rejected samples and rough versions of published work the most fascinating, and as such reprints of already published covers hold little interest.

For those of us who have ever collected or bought original art from 2000AD, surely one of the most exciting things is the ability to see the artist's original pencil lines or rough ideas that never make it to the printed page?

If a book of covers were produced, I personally wouldn't buy it unless it held some of these 'behind the scenes' glimpses at the work and genius that goes into the final, polished image, rather than glossy versions of art you can readily find on this very site.